Niko Sigur

nolando

7 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

It's been a while, but wasn't Bonnie the major trouble-maker back in the day?

Agh, I'd forgotten about that cow.  I had successfully got Bonnie Lindros out of my head for a couple of decades until just now.   Yes, it was all her.  I don't even remember the father.

It's time to watch a few videos of Scott "Lead Shoulders" Stevens taking Meathead out at the blue line.

If the Croatian league is anything like the Serbian league and their major domestic clubs work closely with their national team (I guess ours do too), I wonder if his playing time starts to dry up now that he’s a hoser. Hope his days at Split are numbered and he’s off elsewhere shortly though.

Played 15 yesterday, looks like at RB, took a yellow that resulted in the PK that evened things up at ‘90 + 7. Looks like him and the American, Pukstas, both picked up yellows at the same time for something. 

12 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

If the Croatian league is anything like the Serbian league and their major domestic clubs work closely with their national team (I guess ours do too), I wonder if his playing time starts to dry up now that he’s a hoser. Hope his days at Split are numbered and he’s off elsewhere shortly though.

Played 15 yesterday, looks like at RB, took a yellow that resulted in the PK that evened things up at ‘90 + 7. Looks like him and the American, Pukstas, both picked up yellows at the same time for something. 

That was last week.  He wasn't in the lineup yesterday because of injury.

57 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I hope he has a back up plan because I can't imagine switching to Canada at this point will come without consequences.

12 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

I hope he has a back up plan because I can't imagine switching to Canada at this point will come without consequences.

Even if he stuck with Croatia, I would imagine this would be his last season there, most likely. I think he’ll follow a similar path to Stefan Mitrovic and head westward before long. He may fall out of favour with Split, but they have a 20 year old starting RB who was on the cusp of the Croatian national team just a few months ago- they can’t afford to give up completely on his development, because that’s the profile of a player they can earn a few million off of by sending him to Italy or Germany. 

They also need to sell and have earmarked him and their 19 year old American CAM as players they can export to bring in money.

I don't think Split will want to tarnish his value considering that, but we'll see.

Coach Jesse on Niko Sigur::

He’s someone who’s really excited to represent the Canadian national team! which, I think, in the end, when you’re looking at dual nationals, is still is a really important factor, right? The pride factor, the awareness of what it means to play for the Canadian national team, that means something...''

“This was not necessarily an easy move for him to make, given the fact he still plays in Croatia and there are certain pressures there to be Croatian... But I think more than anything, being Canadian resonated with him and he just feels that’s part of who he is! Growing up here, this meant a lot to him... I believe that our success really ignited his interest... but he was born in Canada and I think he grew up in Canada... so that’s a big part of the way he thinks about himself...”

“He’s a technical player who’s very intelligent and can play different positions... He’s a young man who has made the move to Europe to challenge himself at a young age because he believes in himself and he believes in his talent! His tactical flexibility, along with his aggressiveness and mobility, will be a good fit for what we’re trying to establish with the national team now!''

“So, in all ways, he’s a perfect guy to bring into our group now. and I think he’s going to enjoy it and I think he’s going to make us better.”

“He and I, over the past couple months, have gotten a chance to get to know each other and have some good conversations.''

21 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Sigur in at the expense of Piette. I'm good with this.

So much young potential emerging. I think Jesse will be a good guy for them to learn from.

Sigur = Piette 2.0

PS: Uptated/Upgraded for the Modern Soccer

We shall see! I think he has a bigger ceiling. That said 10 years ago or so Piette's potential also seemed sky high coming through Europe. While I can't profess to being his biggest fan, at any point, I can never fault Piettes commitment to the cause and the team when on the pitch or off it. If we can say the same about Sigur in 10 years time we can be pretty happy!

On 8/26/2024 at 9:22 AM, vancanman said:

Agh, I'd forgotten about that cow.  I had successfully got Bonnie Lindros out of my head for a couple of decades until just now.   Yes, it was all her.  I don't even remember the father.

It's time to watch a few videos of Scott "Lead Shoulders" Stevens taking Meathead out at the blue line.

Didn't he meet his own demise in a similar fashion? Live by the sword, die by the sword eh. 

On 8/26/2024 at 3:23 PM, The Real Marc said:

I don't think so. Business is business and the higher ups at Split know they can get some decent coin out of him if he puts in good performances for us. I wouldn't even be surprised if they encouraged it based on what they saw from our other guys getting transferred this past summer. Of course, they wouldn't admit this publicly. 

5 hours ago, toontownman said:

Sigur in at the expense of Piette. I'm good with this.

So much young potential emerging. I think Jesse will be a good guy for them to learn from.

It’s sad that Piette didn’t get any minutes at the World Cup or Copa America. Especially, in the 3rd place game against Uruguay, where he could have come off the bench to hold onto the 2-1 lead.

Edited by anthony7