Niko Sigur

nolando

11 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Watching the players highlights he seems to be a holding midfielder who controls the game with possession. The reality is MLS teams are looking for wide players who run past players from their domestic pipeline. They're looking to import players like this. They're not looking to hand over the keys to their engine room to a 19yr old Canadian 

I hear you, but that is very shortsighted and shows a bias against Cdn players. CFM have played and developed young  CMs in Kone, Choiniere and Saliba is on the cusp of being the next high level CM. The first two bossed the midfield vs Uruguay and their defenders were  unable to control Ahmed. This all points to a high level of skill on the ball, vision and an ability to keep possession and progress the ball.

8 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I hear you, but that is very shortsighted and shows a bias against Cdn players. CFM have played and developed young  CMs in Kone, Choiniere and Saliba is on the cusp of being the next high level CM. The first two bossed the midfield vs Uruguay and their defenders were  unable to control Ahmed. This all points to a high level of skill on the ball, vision and an ability to keep possession and progress the ball.

It might show a bias but it also shows that we need to grow out our football infrastructure in Canada. It's kinda natural all around the world that players in certain positions get a push at a younger age rather than other positions who get that opportunity after they've had a chance to get seasoning somewhere else or with a lower profile.

Edited by SpursFlu

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

It might show a bias but it also shows that we need to grow out our football infrastructure in Canada. It's kinda natural all around the world that players in certain positions get a push at a younger age rather than other positions who get that opportunity after they've had a chance to get seasoning somewhere else or with a lower profile.

I think that perception wil/has changed. Continued performances as we recently had at Copa will do that. Kone is still 21? and he will likely start for OM.

I assume the one time switch has not yet been approved by FIFA. With all the news leaking out, it's taken some wind out of the sails for what would have otherwise been a big announcement by the CSA.  This is big for more than Sigur's soccer ability. It's the first commitment by a Croatian or Serbian Canadian to the CMNT in a long time...post Borjan/Jakovic/Jazic. We have a couple in our youth teams, so perhaps the tide is turning.

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I assume the one time switch has not yet been approved by FIFA. With all the news leaking out, it's taken some wind out of the sails for what would have otherwise been a big announcement by the CSA.  This is big for more than Sigur's soccer ability. It's the first commitment by a Croatian or Serbian Canadian to the CMNT in a long time...post Borjan/Jakovic/Jazic. We have a couple in our youth teams, so perhaps the tide is turning.

Mitrovic is the only non commit and it’s not like there have been any other examples. Hardly a big story. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Mitrovic is the only non commit and it’s not like there have been any other examples. Hardly a big story. 

I know he is Bosnian, but Begovic was obviously a massive blow at the time especially as he played for us when we hosted the youth World Cup and had been on our bench for the national team even in World Cup qualifing (and could have played that last meaningless match that would have captied him after the rules changed later - under the rules at the time of that match, he was already cap tied to us).

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

I know he is Bosnian, but Begovic was obviously a massive blow at the time especially as he played for us when we hosted the youth World Cup and had been on our bench for the national team even in World Cup qualifing (and could have played that last meaningless match that would have captied him after the rules changed later - under the rules at the time of that match, he was already cap tied to us).

Ya Begovic would have been huge for us . But I heard there were rumours of a lot of third party pressure to commit to Bosnia, Whether its true or not .

2 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

Ya Begovic would have been huge for us . But I heard there were rumours of a lot of third party pressure to commit to Bosnia, Whether its true or not .

I believe that to be true.

Interesting that third party pressure to play for Canada these days might be an invitation to watch a Raptors game with Drake.

5 minutes ago, nolando said:

Interesting that third party pressure to play for Canada these days might be an invitation to watch a Raptors game with Drake.

5 minutes ago, nolando said:

Has that actually happened ?   I aways thought it was  a Tim Hortons Gift card .

8 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I honestly think Mitrovic was not poing to commit to us anyway no matter the efforts .  You're probably right  at the end of the day

He did that northern futbol episode before he had committed where he was pretty openly interested in Canada. That’s one where we were too little too late, but I do wonder if he was going through that decision now, with how things are trending for our program, if he would’ve picked us instead. I feel like Marsch would’ve moved quicker, but I think we’re in a better place to attract duals now than in 2022.

On 8/23/2024 at 9:58 AM, InglewoodJack said:

He did that northern futbol episode before he had committed where he was pretty openly interested in Canada. That’s one where we were too little too late, but I do wonder if he was going through that decision now, with how things are trending for our program, if he would’ve picked us instead. I feel like Marsch would’ve moved quicker, but I think we’re in a better place to attract duals now than in 2022.

Eh I think in Mitrovic's dad was the big factor here.

Seems like Sigur's dad isn't so pushy.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Eh I think in Mitrovic's dad was the big factor here.

Seems like Sigur's dad isn't so pushy.

While you're totally correct in stating Mitro's dad was a major factor, it takes two to tango.

Looking back, I can't remember the specifics and windows etc, but, there surely must've been a window or opportunity to invite Mitro into the squad or a camp at some point, no?  I mean our midfield was never dominant, there was always room for a player with potential.  I think I remember Mitro getting snubbed and Daddy tweeting about it on an occasion or two. 

27 minutes ago, costarg said:

While you're totally correct in stating Mitro's dad was a major factor, it takes two to tango.

Looking back, I can't remember the specifics and windows etc, but, there surely must've been a window or opportunity to invite Mitro into the squad or a camp at some point, no?  I mean our midfield was never dominant, there was always room for a player with potential.  I think I remember Mitro getting snubbed and Daddy tweeting about it on an occasion or two. 

He was not called for the U23 concacaf tournament. I belive that was when his dad kinda lost it.

Yes, how dare the uppity recent immigrant not sit quietly at the back of the bus. It's perfectly reasonable that a player called Bontis who is now playing U-sports for the Western Mustangs would have been getting ahead in the Canadian development system relative to a first generation Serbian kid who is now playing with Hellas Verona in Serie A. Think that was one of Ivan's initial complaints anyway. It's been a while. If Ivan Mitrovic hadn't believed in his son and encouraged him to move to Radnicki Nis where would he be now?  He didn't come through the Sigma Academy so was his face going to fit with the Forge?

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot