Niko Sigur

nolando

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Assume this is a joke. Our forward line is so deep we are guys playing for good European teams hardly see the field 

I guess I interpreted it as "good" European teams.

For me Europe doesn't equal good all the time.

So if you say a front three...ahhh see I did it again. We play with two forwards, so yea you're right. Lille - Mallorca, Lille - Auxerre, Auxerre-Sparta Rotterdam, Sparta-USG...a lot of our strikers are playing D1 Football.

Great stuff and welcome aboard to Niko.

You have to think that the recent transfers of Bombito, Cornelius, Bair and Kone to France, with some of those heavily influenced by their Copa performances, played a factor. Some CMNT appearances for Niko may also speed up his timeline with regards to a move to a big European team. 

Edited by Macksam

4 minutes ago, frmr said:

So all of the Croatian posts are about losing a right back, but we seem to see him as a midfielder. I haven't watched any of him to be honest, is he sort of a Kimmich-lite, where he is equally comfortable in both positions or are we sort of shoehorning him into midfield?

In the reddit forums a number of croatian supporters are saying he's a better CDM than RB so I'm definitely seeing a lot of differing opinions on that question. At the very least, he is quite versatile and can play in either of these positions as needed. 

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

In the reddit forums a number of croatian supporters are saying he's a better CDM than RB so I'm definitely seeing a lot of differing opinions on that question. At the very least, he is quite versatile and can play in either of these positions as needed. 

That's right. If the reddit posts are any indication, he was shifted to RB at club because they had a big need in that position and he's versitile. He's a natural midfielder who is good at passing and build up, but the midfield depth at his club allowed them to move him to fullback.

Some Croatian NT fans also seem unpleased they are losing what they consider to be 3rd in the RB depth chart, after Stanišić (Bayern) and Juranovic (Union Berlin), and to make matters worse both are injured - though ironically so is Sigur as he picked up a knock yesterday (or the day before?). 

Anyway, the fact that Sigur was seen as 3rd RB for Croatia seems to be down to a serious lack of options there, not that Sigur is an outstanding RB. From what I can tell, he's very competent there and Croatia is deseperate for someone, especially with the injuries. 

Haven't watched more than a highlight or two, just relaying what I saw on reddit. 

7 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Don't know if it was mentioned already, but Kloke is saying his sources are saying October is when he would be called in.

That's too bad, but with the knock it's understandable. 

It was also said he may come in and presumably continue his recovery, just so he can get a taste of the group. 

I am thinking we may call him as an extra man, and if he's fit enough he'll play, but we won't rush it. 

Edited by Obinna

16 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

Sounded like a smart, driven kid.  Maybe explains why he grew as a player so much when he went to Croatia.

Still have my doubts he will walk into our starting 11, but if he can provide depth and european experince, great.

Again, hope he proves me wrong. 

4 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Let’s see what his actual position is, RM, CM or RB… big thing though is that these are areas where depth is needed in relatively short order. 

He prefers defensive midfield and that is probably one of the reasons for the switch since he feels that he'll get a cnance to play there for CMNT. did watch a game that he played for the u21's at DM and agree with P-O's assessment.

1 hour ago, to70 said:

He prefers defensive midfield and that is probably one of the reasons for the switch since he feels that he'll get a cnance to play there for CMNT. did watch a game that he played for the u21's at DM and agree with P-O's assessment.

Not just a chance to play - if he keeps developing on his current trajectory, I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that he could anchor the midfield of our national team for the next decade.  A really solid CDM would create a lot of tactical flexibility where we could use 3 central mids in a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3.  It would free up Kone and Staq to be higher up the field and pay in more attacking roles, and just generally create a lot of possibilities. 

We can debate whether or not he is ready to start for us right this minute, but the reality is that he is a 20 year old kid playing at a very respectable level in a position of need.