Niko Sigur

nolando

5 hours ago, narduch said:

How many RBs do you think a manager should call in for a 23 man squad?

Besides if Sigur does switch to us I really hope he can be developed as a CM instead 

2 rights backs is good.... in a perfect world. We would have loved to have sigur instead of hiebert at copa for when davies went down. 

So if you include laryea as a winger, or leftback coverage, than we only have AJ. 

If we assume that we have adekugbe back to 100% or ali can be a solid leftback coverage and that we have adequate winger depth and that marsch will play 2 proper wingers and not laryea at wing for his 2 way ability, then we have enough coverage in this perfect scenario. 

One injury derails our depth. Sigur as a bench player gives extra coverage at LB, RB, Winger and CM richies versatility as richie can also provide depth.

Sigur would make our squad as a cm as well.  In rough order I would say the depth chart is staq, kone, oso, choiniere sigur, piette, fraser/paton/MAK/loturi etc. 

Pretty tough he's dealing with a back issue now. I guess we have to see day-to-day what happens, but it doesn't sound like he's going to go from being suddenly dropped to now flying across the Atlantic to compete with Canada in a few weeks. 

What I could see is him flying over to continue his recovery with our group, so that he can possibly train and check out the environment, but that would be off the table if he's nowhere near fit.

Great that the Croatian forum readers are following this forum.  Pretty sure that they're quoting from here.

Kanađani i njihovi insajderi spekuliraju da Niko Sigur prelazi u njihovu reprezentaciju... Mi ne znamo je li izostavljen s popisa zbog toga ili ozljede ali je već prošli tjedan počeo pratiti profile njihovog saveza

Šteta za nas ali proveo je 18 od 20 godina života u Kanadi, ako nije mogao s 20 godina čekati još malo na poziv neka igra za Kanadu, bit će jedan od bitnijih igrača na Svjetskom u Sj. Americi

6 hours ago, narduch said:

Was never making that squad regardless 

Exactly.

That list is here:

https://hns.team/vijesti/28191/dalic-objavio-popis-igraca-za-pocetak-lige-nacija/

---

6 hours ago, phresh said:

He's not on the Croatia U21 roster for their upcoming Euro qualifiers. 

That list is here:

https://hns.team/vijesti/28195/olic-objavio-popis-igraca-za-nastavak-kvalifikacija-za-europsko-prvenstvo/

The U21s have a new coach:

https://hns.team/en/news/28084/ivica-olic-is-the-new-coach-of-the-u-21-croatia-national-team/

But he is injured anyways, so not being on the U21 list is no longer an indication.

4 hours ago, to70 said:

Great that the Croatian forum readers are following this forum.  Pretty sure that they're quoting from here.

Kanađani i njihovi insajderi spekuliraju da Niko Sigur prelazi u njihovu reprezentaciju... Mi ne znamo je li izostavljen s popisa zbog toga ili ozljede ali je već prošli tjedan počeo pratiti profile njihovog saveza

Šteta za nas ali proveo je 18 od 20 godina života u Kanadi, ako nije mogao s 20 godina čekati još malo na poziv neka igra za Kanadu, bit će jedan od bitnijih igrača na Svjetskom u Sj. Americi

For those that don’t speak Croatian:

The Canadians and their insiders speculate that Niko Sigur is moving to their national team... We don't know if he was left off the list because of that or because of an injury, but he already started following the profiles of their association last week

It's a pity for us, but he spent 18 out of 20 years of his life in Canada, if he couldn't wait a little longer at the age of 20 for the call to play for Canada, he will be one of the most important players at the World Cup in Sj. America

Not about Sigur specifically, but the thing that sticks out to me about that Croatia roster is how old and experienced it is for nations league. They have a couple up and coming guys, two midfielders from Dinamo Zagreb, but on surface level, most guys are in the back half of their 20s, or older.  That team is going to go through quite a shock in about 2 years.

7 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Not about Sigur specifically, but the thing that sticks out to me about that Croatia roster is how old and experienced it is for nations league. They have a couple up and coming guys, two midfielders from Dinamo Zagreb, but on surface level, most guys are in the back half of their 20s, or older.  That team is going to go through quite a shock in about 2 years.

The roster isn't actually that old aside from Modric and their attack.  They should be fine but will definitely need some improvement up top.  It looks like CM Baturina (2003) continues to get called up and earn caps with the senior team.  The other 2003 callup is defensive midfielder Petar Sucic who will be earning his first caps after switching from the Bosnia & Herzogovina youth setup.  A like for like midfielder to Sigur that I had suggested earlier this year would drop Sigur down the depth chart of their midfield.  Could be another reason why Sigur does not see a future with Croatia.

Edit: Both Sucic & Baturina started in the midfield for Dinamo Zagreb in their Champions League Qualifier against Qarabag.  Baturina provided an assist and both were very highly rated in a 3-0 victory.

At CM, Modric (Real Madrid, 38) just recently stated that he wants to play in the 2026 World Cup.  In addition to Modric, there is Kovacic (Manchester City 30), Pasalic (Atalanta, 29), Jakic (Augsburg, 27) Majer (Wolfsburg, 26), Ivanusec (Feyernoord, 25), Sucic (Real Sociedad, 21).  Others not on the current roster, Vlasic (Torino, 26), Moro (Bologna, 26), Ljubicic (AEK Athens, 25).  Add in the two essential midfielders for the u21 program (Hodza & Vidovic) and another kid that is 2 years younger at Bayern.  

Edited by Corazon

The 20-year-old right-back Hajduk, Niko Kristian Sigur, has decided to change his football citizenship and represent Canada in the future.

Based on dual citizenship, Sigur had the opportunity to play for Croatia or Canada and last year chose to represent Croatia, for which he played in the youth team jersey with which he was at the European Championships in Romania.

However, Sigur decided to perform in the future for the national team of Canada, the country where he was born and spent his entire childhood.

"It was an honor to represent Croatia, which is a football superpower and what is my family's homeland, but with the time I felt that I wanted to represent the country where I grew up and started my football career, Canada. I appreciate the open communication and understanding of this decision by the HNS and I thank the coaches and teammates in the national team for the pleasant time I spent as a young Croatian national team player. I will always be a big fan of Croatia to whom I wish the best of luck and success," said Niko Kristian Sigur.

Technical director Stipe Pletikosa and Croatian A national team coach Zlatko Dalić discussed this decision with Sigur.

"We are sorry for this outcome because we believe in Nika's potential and we have seen him as a player who is a candidate for the A national team. Of course, we understand that a young person can come to such a change in thinking and respect what he has admitted on time to both himself and us that he wants to represent Canada in which he grew up. Thank him for his contribution to the young national team and of course we wish him the best of luck and success in the continuation of his football career," said the technical director of the A and U-21 national team Stipe Pletikosa

https://hns.team/vijesti/28196/sigur-odlucio-promijeniti-nogometno-drzavljanstvo/

Looks like it is official now. This article is translated through firefox. Amazing news

Edited by blueseeka

2 hours ago, blueseeka said:

The 20-year-old right-back Hajduk, Niko Kristian Sigur, has decided to change his football citizenship and represent Canada in the future.

Based on dual citizenship, Sigur had the opportunity to play for Croatia or Canada and last year chose to represent Croatia, for which he played in the youth team jersey with which he was at the European Championships in Romania.

However, Sigur decided to perform in the future for the national team of Canada, the country where he was born and spent his entire childhood.

"It was an honor to represent Croatia, which is a football superpower and what is my family's homeland, but with the time I felt that I wanted to represent the country where I grew up and started my football career, Canada. I appreciate the open communication and understanding of this decision by the HNS and I thank the coaches and teammates in the national team for the pleasant time I spent as a young Croatian national team player. I will always be a big fan of Croatia to whom I wish the best of luck and success," said Niko Kristian Sigur.

Technical director Stipe Pletikosa and Croatian A national team coach Zlatko Dalić discussed this decision with Sigur.

"We are sorry for this outcome because we believe in Nika's potential and we have seen him as a player who is a candidate for the A national team. Of course, we understand that a young person can come to such a change in thinking and respect what he has admitted on time to both himself and us that he wants to represent Canada in which he grew up. Thank him for his contribution to the young national team and of course we wish him the best of luck and success in the continuation of his football career," said the technical director of the A and U-21 national team Stipe Pletikosa

https://hns.team/vijesti/28196/sigur-odlucio-promijeniti-nogometno-drzavljanstvo/

Looks like it is official now. This article is translated through firefox. Amazing news

Wow, what a pleasant surprise. Few weeks ago didn’t think there was a world he would be coming. Very exciting

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

Have to wonder if it will become a problem at his club now

Shouldn't be a problem. I don't think Gattuso cares what nationality a player is. Saying that Niko and the American Rokas Pukstas are most likely to be sold as they are Hajduk's most marketable assets and Hajduk lives from transfer fees since they don't usually last long in the European competions. Their other source is the membership fees from their fans.