Niko Sigur

nolando

11 minutes ago, Corazon said:

It's possible.  I made a note of it a few pages back that there were a few other young midfielders bursting onto the scene for Croatia.  If I recall, there is another kid his age or younger that was switching to represent Croatia from another European country and playing at a higher level than Sigur.  But I haven't seen the current U21 squad.

Edit: Nevermind, it wasn't a few pages back, it was further up on this page.  There appears to be a kid two years younger at Bayern in the midfield of the U21 program and only 2 caps so far so he could be a player that has overtaken him.  And there's two other midfielders with 12 & 13 caps at the u21 level as well.  This squad did include 5 uncapped midfielders and defenders and another two with only 1 cap so it could be an experimental squad as well. 

Two other midfield players eligible for the U21 team were included in the senior Euro squad (Baturina & Sucic) with 7 and 3 caps already as well.  Sigur would be crazy to commit to a program this deep.

He would but like I said Croatia are trying to build for that next generation and Sigur he could play for them or he could play for us. All a matter of which country cap ties him first.

5 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

He would but like I said Croatia are trying to build for that next generation and Sigur he could play for them or he could play for us. All a matter of which country cap ties him first.

I don't think it's necessarily that simple where it's a matter of which country calls and cap ties him first.  He's likely considering that Euro U21 qualification and chance at the Euro tournament could be big for his club career.  Hopefully he's also seeing the depth of Croatia's talent pool emerge right in front of him and thinking about a long senior career.  Perhaps he has no interest in Canada and would rather play twice for his parents homeland than 50 times for Canada.  Without considering the two midfielders currently with the U21s on 14 & 13 caps, there seem to be 3 other players his age clear of him already in that midfield.  Two are with the Croatian senior team and one just switched programs from Bosnia & Herzegovina.  Two of those five players are actually 2002-born so technically a year older than Sigur.

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

This is what irks me about some duals.  No issues with the Koleoshos, Tomoris, Cristantes, etc....  They just had many nationalities and options.  I don't know Sigurs exact situation, but the guys that fled bad situations (Davies, Farsi, etc...) and were given so much opportunity from Canada it's just disappointing.

I don’t know much about Sigur’s personal situation, but he was born in 2003, a time closer to when rich people had started flocking to Dubrovnik for vacation than a time when the country was at war. If his parents did indeed flee the war, they had likely already been in Canada for almost a decade by the time he had been born. I would think that the experience of a Croatian kid in Canada in the early 00s is more similar to say, our Portuguese players whose families moved here for better opportunities than a guy like Davies who was born in a refugee camp, or even Jonathan David whose family left a far worse situation Haiti. 

52 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don’t know much about Sigur’s personal situation, but he was born in 2003, a time closer to when rich people had started flocking to Dubrovnik for vacation than a time when the country was at war. If his parents did indeed flee the war, they had likely already been in Canada for almost a decade by the time he had been born. I would think that the experience of a Croatian kid in Canada in the early 00s is more similar to say, our Portuguese players whose families moved here for better opportunities than a guy like Davies who was born in a refugee camp, or even Jonathan David whose family left a far worse situation Haiti. 

Ya, it's not even specifically about leaving a war torn country and situation, more about the opportunity given by Canada. 

10 minutes ago, costarg said:

Ya, it's not even specifically about leaving a war torn country and situation, more about the opportunity given by Canada. 

Right, but he didn’t exactly flee a bad situation in the same way a guy like Davies did. Don’t think Sigur owes much to Canada other than paying his taxes if/while he lives here. Agreed that I’m more pressed when we get rejected by guys stronger ties to Canada than the Tomoris and Crisantes (spent most of their lives here). As it pertains to his soccer career though, Croatia gave Sigur more opportunity than Canada did, so on that level, I get it. Between guys like him, Mitrovic, others who were from here but developed their game abroad, it’s all that more impressive we were able to convince Corbeanu to come and play for us IMO. 

19 minutes ago, costarg said:

Leaving a war torn country for the safety and opportunity of Canada isn't always going to factor in, ask Asmir Begovic! I feel the same about this guy Sigur as I do about any dual nationals, nice to have them and we should do all we can to promote our program to them but at the end of the day if they want to play elsewhere so be it, we have a good nucleus of players who proudly wear the Maple Leaf!

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

It's possible for sure.

There appears to be a kid two years younger at Bayern (Lovro Zvonarek) in the midfield of the U21 program with only 2 caps so far, so he could be a player that has overtaken him.  And there are two other midfielders with 14 caps (Veldin Hodza - Rijeka) & 13 caps (Gabriel Vidovic - Zagreb) at the u21 level as well.  This squad did include 5 uncapped midfielders and defenders and another two with only 1 cap so it could be an experimental squad as well. 

Two other midfield players eligible for the U21 team were included in the senior Euro squad (Martin Baturina - Zagreb & Luka Sucic - Salzburg) with 7 and 3 senior caps already.  Luka Sucic also should not be confused with Petar Sucic (also Zagreb) who is the same age as Sigur and was the player that recently switched from representing Bosnia & Herzegovina to Croatia.

Sigur would be crazy to commit to a program this deep.

Do wonder if its more of a minor injury. He has always been in the lineup until this game, i believe

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

It's possible for sure.

There appears to be a kid two years younger at Bayern (Lovro Zvonarek) in the midfield of the U21 program with only 2 caps so far, so he could be a player that has overtaken him.  And there are two other midfielders with 14 caps (Veldin Hodza - Rijeka) & 13 caps (Gabriel Vidovic - Zagreb) at the u21 level as well.  This squad did include 5 uncapped midfielders and defenders and another two with only 1 cap so it could be an experimental squad as well. 

Two other midfield players eligible for the U21 team were included in the senior Euro squad (Martin Baturina - Zagreb & Luka Sucic - Salzburg) with 7 and 3 senior caps already.  Luka Sucic also should not be confused with Petar Sucic (also Zagreb) who is the same age as Sigur and was the player that recently switched from representing Bosnia & Herzegovina to Croatia.

Sigur would be crazy to commit to a program this deep.

Croatia also plays a lot more games than we do. I believe barring us advancing to the Copa knockouts, we’ll have had 7 scheduled games in 2024 vs. Croatia’s 14 (and they will likely advance to Euro knockouts, so more). Even last year, when we had two major tournaments and they had none, we played the same amount of games. They call in a bigger pool of players than we do, so he might have a spot. Similar to how Caribbean players would commit to Canada for the chance of playing our less important games, it might be worth more for Sigur to be a national league player for them than a Copa/Gold Cup/WC player for us. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, narduch said:

You think he would get fired over Europa Conference League?

Some fans online are calling it one of the worst defeats in history.  It is their first loss under Gattuso but he's only won 2 of their first 6 matches this season.  In games, they absolutely should have won.  This is a team that should be 6-0-0 so far this season but are 2-3-1 instead.  They also haven't scored in 4 of the 6 games as well, including a 0-0 draw against a team from Faroe Islands in their previous Uefa matchup.  It's definitely not looking good.

Their 2 wins (and only games they scored) were against the Faroe Islands club at home and the current last placed team in the league who also finished 2nd last in the 2023-24 campaign.

Edited by Corazon