CPL 2023 Season Attendance

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The significance of having scores mentioned on Sports Centre is being exaggerated. Very big deal 35 years ago, but now not so much given most people know how to use a cellphone to access info like that.

I think the importance is more about increasing awareness, than about being able to find the scores elsewhere. We hear all the time about soccer/sports fans not even knowing they have a team in their backyard.

57 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I think the importance is more about increasing awareness, than about being able to find the scores elsewhere. We hear all the time about soccer/sports fans not even knowing they have a team in their backyard.

If you're flashing up scores on the ticker that say Valour vs Forge, people still aren't going to know they have a team in their backyard.

23 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

If you're flashing up scores on the ticker that say Valour vs Forge, people still aren't going to know they have a team in their backyard.

I think the league would make sure locations are postedimage.png.00ce06512a694729a32e6f06b6af5e25.png

Edited by Ansem

25 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Just curious as to how many people here subscribe to Telus and access OneSoccer that way.

I've never had cable, but my Dad and uncle both subscribe. My Dad is one of those people that doesn't stream or have a cell phone though, even though he's not even retired yet

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I think the league would make sure locations are postedimage.png.00ce06512a694729a32e6f06b6af5e25.png

Not really up to the league to determine how it's presented on another companies ticker.

But really, I suspect they'd just do what the newspapers have done: drop the nickname entirely and just show the city.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Just curious as to how many people here subscribe to Telus and access OneSoccer that way.

I couldn't pass another streaming service through the finance department, but she was ok with me using a theme pack on OS.

Sadly, unlike SN/TSN though, you don't get app access being a TV subscriber.

Edited by chalms04

The Athletic today had an article looking at the issues around a new NWSL media rights deal starting next year. The quotes from the media experts largely apply to the CPL also given the similarities of where both leagues stand in the sports and media landscape.

Note the current NWSL deal is only about US$1.5m/yr for US and international rights. 

"You have to be a property that can generate, on average, a million people (120k pro-rated for Canada) watching a broadcast if you want to be a true rights-fee sport. The traditional big-time deal that everybody wants would be a rights fee, with the (media) entity paying for production. For a variety of reasons having nothing to do with the NWSL, there are fewer and fewer of those to go around now."

"Right now, there’s likely no network that considers the NWSL a “need to have,” but closer to a “nice to have,” and that’s entirely related to its audience size."

"NWSL is still in its infancy, and just putting games on TV doesn’t guarantee viewers. It’s a multi-pronged effort. Just getting the shelf space alone doesn’t get it done.”

“Budgets are shrinking. You’re trying to get a bigger drink of water out of a slowing flow. This is the realiity..."

“People look at the growth of women’s soccer, the excitement about the World Cup, and say, ‘Okay, it’s just gonna happen now for us.’ Our experience is that’s not the case.”

Another way to get an actual rights fee is by getting one or more sponsors of the league to commit to buying a chunk of ad time during the broadcasts. Last year, NWSL sponsor Ally's dollar commitment got the Championship game moved to prime time on CBS. So, it was telling that there was little to no sponsor backing during CHL broadcasts on TSN. Likewise, during CEBL on TSN broadcasts, none of the league sponsors paid TSN for ads. The clear majority of Canada Soccer's sponsors didn't buy ad time on TSN for either the men's or women's World Cup.

As comparison, WNBA gets about US$45m/yr from about 4 partners but are looking for $100m/yr when ESPN rights expire in 2025. But some say it should be similar to the $250m/yr MLS is getting from Apple given both leagues have similar season length, have similar tv audience numbers but WNBA's has started to grow, global rights are available and WNBA is looking to expand which will close the number of teams gap with MLS.

https://theathletic.com/4926482/2023/10/03/nwsl-media-tv-deal/

Edited by red card

On 10/2/2023 at 5:05 PM, MtlMario said:

They (TSN and Sportsnet) are a sports network then they should mention the CPL scores on every broadcast. Not to mention IT'S A CANADIAN PREMIER SOCCER LEAGUE. I think that should be enough. What the hell are the reasons why they do not? I would really like to know.

On this week's ESPN & FS1 daytime discussion shows, there has been no talk about the MLB playoffs even with ESPN holding the rights.

No debate. No discussion. No guests. No predictions. No matchups analysis. Nothing ex 2 short promos for the playoff games on ESPN.

So why do ESPN and FS1 largely just stick to 2-to-3 sports and ignore everything else? If the network pays hundreds of millions to air NHL, college basketball, MLB, tennis, golf, etc., why not spend some time talking about those sports as well?

It changed in 2011, when a new producer for First Take got minute-by-minute data vs 15 minute increments showing viewers just didn’t want the variety of debate/discussion that matched the sports that ESPN actually aired. It showed viewers change the channel or stop watching at a higher rate when they talk about sports beyond the NFL and NBA.

The usage of minute-to-minute data and the commitment to “playing the hits” is now dogma at ESPN and FS1. For those who remember, it's akin to how top 40 radio operated. 

The advice for fans of other sports. Stop pinning for coverage on the general sports networks. Even when they talk about it, it's hard for them to fake enjoyment of a sport when they really couldn’t care less.

Instead, your best bet is to actually change the channel and go to MLB Network, NHL Network, the Tennis Channel, or whatever second or third-tier sports channel might have or listen to plethora of podcasts covering your sport for a longer and deeper discussions.

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/baseball-first-take-debate-shows-nfl-nba-data.html

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

4656 today in Calgary. Cavalry FC attendance finishes at 4090 for the year, up 17% over 2022. Proof that this game in this country can grow and succeed if done the right way. 

Don't you think the limited capacity of the stadium actually impedes growth?

Would it make sense for stands to be expanded at Spruce Meadows, to absorb fans on those good days?

A near-full stadium means less selection and options for all kinds of potential fans, it is not as simple as saying there are 2000 empty seats available. Or are we not there yet in Calgary?

I didn't see an announced number for Tim Hortons Field yesterday but it looked like another decent crowd considering there was a cold wind blowing all day and some pretty heavy rain in the Hamilton area right up to kick off, I honestly thought it would scare more casuals away! The Forge ticket and promotions department has done an excellent job this season and it has resulted in an increase in attendance even with some less than inspiring play by the team on their home pitch!

The size of the stadium in Cavalry is not a hindrance to the growth of the club at this time. You would need 2 more years of growth at a similar rate to what we saw this year before that is the case, and then it makes sense to build up demand a bit before investing in a bigger stadium. No point in building bigger when the current stadium doesn't sell out and meets their current needs.

Spruce Meadows have a long term plan to build a 12,000 seat stadium elsewhere on the grounds (source: https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/new-12-000-seat-soccer-stadium-part-of-spruce-meadows-future-plan-1.4599320). Their next big capital project is to build a hotel, restaurant, pub and retail complex on the grounds which should be done by 2025 so I guess we will see where the club is at then. (source: https://dailyhive.com/calgary/spruce-meadows-calgary-restaurant)

On 10/8/2023 at 9:09 AM, gator said:

I didn't see an announced number for Tim Hortons Field yesterday but it looked like another decent crowd considering there was a cold wind blowing all day and some pretty heavy rain in the Hamilton area right up to kick off, I honestly thought it would scare more casuals away! The Forge ticket and promotions department has done an excellent job this season and it has resulted in an increase in attendance even with some less than inspiring play by the team on their home pitch!

It's on the website now, 6013 for Forge. If Wikipedia can be believed, Forge has averaged more fans per game this season (5265, not sure if that counts the 6013 from the last game) than their largest single game crowd last season (5129).