CPL 2023 Season Attendance

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

One Soccer has no reach to non-attending fans. But the league should be all in creating these stories. Coordinating partially with the clubs.

Mind you, MLS is also very parochial with the promo nights too. Almost every single club or league wide theme night is useless and the only thing that makes any sense to most fans is cheaper food and especially drink. 

Case in point, your everyday sports fan in Vancouver just barely might know if the Caps are in a playoff spot. 

My impression from going to Valour games is half of the fans couldn't name a single player, and three quarters couldn't tell you where Valour sit in the table. But many will know that beers are $5 up until kickoff.

Which is probably a good thing, considered how the season has gone.

18 minutes ago, jonovision said:

My impression from going to Valour games is half of the fans couldn't name a single player, and three quarters couldn't tell you where Valour sit in the table. But many will know that beers are $5 up until kickoff.

Which is probably a good thing, considered how the season has gone.

At Barça they used to do a beautiful thing, along the upper tier of Camp Nou in the highest reaches they had 20 flag poles, with the flags of every team in the league in the order of the table. You could look up and see you were in 2nd, Real Madrid in front, and hey, Real Sociedad is fighting to avoid relegation. Kids learned the colours of every team.

I think they stopped because some fans didn't want to be reminded of Madrid's success.

I used to go to a cafe in the 90s, no longer there, where behind the bar he put the small team flags in league order, accompanied by a juicy salacious topless pinup. I forget whether the coffee was any good.

CPL take a lesson.

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

At Barça they used to do a beautiful thing, along the upper tier of Camp Nou in the highest reaches they had 20 flag poles, with the flags of every team in the league in the order of the table. You could look up and see you were in 2nd, Real Madrid in front, and hey, Real Sociedad is fighting to avoid relegation. Kids learned the colours of every team.

I think they stopped because some fans didn't want to be reminded of Madrid's success.

I used to go to a cafe in the 90s, no longer there, where behind the bar he put the small team flags in league order, accompanied by a juicy salacious topless pinup. I forget whether the coffee was any good.

CPL take a lesson.

Genius line

Seriously though, even if every cpl stadium had the flags of all 8 teams. Some specifically cpl merchandise, why not? There's a lot more that could be done. I realize programs are expensive to print but the sponsors cover that. That way you read team stats, feature a player, the rivals to watch. For me it's just too bare bones and the promo is flat as a league.

Even One Soccer, as we know, struggles to ensure a quality highlight reel 

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Seriously though, even if every cpl stadium had the flags of all 8 teams. Some specifically cpl merchandise, why not? There's a lot more that could be done. I realize programs are expensive to print but the sponsors cover that. That way you read team stats, feature a player, the rivals to watch.

So true. My program from the very first 86ers game is still a personal treasure. And they usually are, for young and old. And so much different than just scrolling online.

Around half of them appearing to take advantage of the dress up as an empty seat promotion by the looks of things as others have already commented upon in the match thread.

Things are going reasonably OK to well on attendance in four out of eight markets this season but if this thread is going to be grounded in reality people need to also be able to discuss what is happening in the other four frankly and honestly.

Possible discussion topics include why the supporters group numbers have dwindled so drastically for Pacific like people have been doing on Reddit.

30 minutes ago, RJB said:

Really poor weather for the game given how good the summer has been.  Was that the first wet game for VFC?  The rain was well-forecasted too, so I figure that played a part. 

The figures were about right. Maybe a few hundred less than usual. In a weird way it was actually one of the funner games of the year. The walk to the dressing rooms is an interesting one at that stadium and there was a dust up amongst the fans at half time. Started with that Romo guy or what ever his name is coming up behind Fry and grabbing him to talk but Fry was having none of it

Edited by SpursFlu

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Really poor weather for the game given how good the summer has been.  Was that the first wet game for VFC?  The rain was well-forecasted too, so I figure that played a part. 

Yes, first game with the rain, and also with the end of summer long weekend probably a few more no shows as well apparently as some were pointing out.

The recent BC Proud day game for Vancouver FC had a similar 2300+ announced and there were actually over 2K butts in the seats as the 2000 bandana's they gave away were all out before kickoff and some fans didn't get one. Problem with the inaccurate eyeballing is that the fans are spread out on 3 sides/grandstands so it looks like less in attendance that it is.

On 8/25/2023 at 5:52 PM, Haligonian#1 said:

However, as a season ticket holder since 2019 for the HFX Wanderers, I have never been surveyed on my experience attending matches, what I like and don't like, and what should be done to improve my experience. I doubt that the struggling teams have done any better.

I've gone to 2, maybe 3, York United games this season, and I've gotten follow up emails with a link to a survey 2 times. Maybe Halifax isn't doing them because they think the good times will never stop? Whereas York cannot afford to not ask questions.

23 minutes ago, Big_M said:

put ads everywhere in the university "free tickets for students" some will buy food and drinks and some will come back for future games/seasons...ridiculous that they dont have something going

Think that's basically already been tried. For a Hail Mary pass pick an ethnic group, rebrand to appeal to said recent immigrant community, sign a big name has been from said country as player coach and see what happens. Otherwise, finally admit this isn't working or likely to any time soon and move the team to K/W or London.

37 minutes ago, narduch said:

Yikes.

Have not heard of any prospective owners for this club , does the league continue running this team next season and hope for an owner to appear or is this season it for this club ? Does the league want to go down to 7 teams ? Will be interesting to see what happens in the off season.