CPL 2023 Season Attendance

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Inter Miami only have 3 Western road games in MLS.

For next season I predict they will be against both LA teams and Seattle 

He's the Taylor Swift of soccer at the moment (or, is she the Messi of pop music?  Take your pick 😉).  He'll be in Toronto and likely Montreal, and that's it for Canada

Winning the Leagues Cup means Inter Miami are straight into the last 16, so there's less chance now of a CanPL team playing against them. The first round is even more likely to be a headache than a windfall financially now for a club like the Cavalry if they have to play their home game in another province before they would normally have even started up their training camp against a club that nobody in Canada is particularly excited about watching.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Winning the Leagues Cup means Inter Miami are straight into the last 16, so there's less chance now of a CanPL team playing against them. The first round is even more likely to be a headache than a windfall financially now for a club like the Cavalry if they have to play their home game in another province before they would normally have even started up their training camp against a club that nobody in Canada is particularly excited about watching.

They are likely to face MLS or Liga MX due to the club ranking system. That would still be exciting for the locals to go to that game.

I know the potential of CCL not helping the league to gain more interest is a huge turn on to you 🤮

^^^normally I just ignore these guys but it is frankly sickening to have it suggested on here that I don't want CanPL to gain more interest. The reason I have repeatedly suggested that they should have been included in the Leagues Cup is that playing MLS and Liga MX teams in August is much more likely to draw crowds and interest than playing them in mid-February.

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

They are likely to face MLS or Liga MX due to the club ranking system. That would still be exciting for the locals to go to that game.

I know the potential of CCL not helping the league to gain more interest is a huge turn on to you 🤮

I agree but I’m also very concerned about the scheduling of the competition.  The two qualifiers from the CPL may not be able to play at home because of the winter.  It would really suck if the teams would have to play hundreds of kms away or play both legs away.  

15 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I agree but I’m also very concerned about the scheduling of the competition.  The two qualifiers from the CPL may not be able to play at home because of the winter.  It would really suck if the teams would have to play hundreds of kms away or play both legs away.  

The schedule still hasn't come out yet but they could also start it in the spring since some of the MLS clubs would also have the same issues if it was in the heart of the winter.

Worst case scenario, I still think clubs would try to play in their respective cities

3 hours ago, Kingston said:

And back to some actual attendance information from this weekend:

4608 in Calgary

4824 in Hamilton

2363 in Vancouver

No report from Friday in Winnipeg.

All per the CPL website.

That's unfortunate for Vancouver. Their first win in the rivalry and it's one of their lowest attended games.

It was great that we could come over on a day trip as away fans but I totally get the issue. Saturday afternoons in Victoria everyone heads for the hills/beaches and our attendances aren't much better. Sad as it was a great game all around, especially so for the home fans.

Edited by ted

8 hours ago, ted said:

It was great that we could come over on a day trip as away fans but I totally get the issue. Saturday afternoons in Victoria everyone heads for the hills/beaches and our attendances aren't much better. Sad as it was a great game all around, especially so for the home fans.

This is exactly why I wish they would give Saturday night games a try. Weekday nights don’t work because of traffic and lack of transportation 

11 hours ago, ted said:

This goes back to my point awhile back about the competition for summer recreation time and dollars in these areas.  Lots of active day time leisure options for the whole family from which to choose for casual fans.  I am not surprised at all with regards to both of these BC locations.  For that matter, a CPL team in Kelowna wouldn't be any different, in my view.

Unfortunately I think the now perennial wildfire situation will scare away investors from a Kelowna team in the summer for the foreseeable future so the point may be moot.

Definitely agreed that PFC has its work cut out for it, competing with other leisure activities here. 

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

This is exactly why I wish they would give Saturday night games a try. Weekday nights don’t work because of traffic and lack of transportation 

Conversely, a day game allows travelling fans to avoid staying overnight. Have heard that's a problem for the Whitecaps now, as fans on the island/interior are less keen on the Saturday night games because of the added hotel costs.

17 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Conversely, a day game allows travelling fans to avoid staying overnight. Have heard that's a problem for the Whitecaps now, as fans on the island/interior are less keen on the Saturday night games because of the added hotel costs.

Who is your more valuable target audience?  Even pre-Covid, what were the numbers on interior visitors who made multiple trips down for Caps games?  

With VFC (and the Caps, too), it's about getting the populous, immediate area casuals out to watch.

13 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Who is your more valuable target audience?  Even pre-Covid, what were the numbers on interior visitors who made multiple trips down for Caps games?  

With VFC (and the Caps, too), it's about getting the populous, immediate area casuals out to watch.

I agree.  Although Pacific and Vancouver could always adjust the time for the few games a year where they host each other.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I respect travelling away fans, and anyone making a trip from out of town to watch a CPL match, but I don't think they're swinging attendance much. And I have friends that come from up islands for games. I'm just not sure we should be making scheduling decisions to accommodate a handful of travelling fans

44 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I largely agree, though for the Whitecaps it's a case of basically every game being at 7:30 vs the occasional game at 7:30. I just think there should probably be a better range of start times.

For the Pacific/VFC game, I'll assume they were hoping enough local fans would forego one day of other activities for the rivalry match while also making it easier for travelling fans. Didn't work out for the local market though.

2 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I respect travelling away fans, and anyone making a trip from out of town to watch a CPL match, but I don't think they're swinging attendance much. And I have friends that come from up islands for games. I'm just not sure we should be making scheduling decisions to accommodate a handful of travelling fans

I get it, though I think there's something to be said for a decent contingent of traveling fans being able to help create a good atmosphere and the club being able to market that. 

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

..For the Pacific/VFC game, I'll assume they were hoping enough local fans would forego one day of other activities for the rivalry match while also making it easier for travelling fans. Didn't work out for the local market though.

Is part of the reason for afternoon games in BC not alleged to be wanting the games on at a good time for Onesoccer in eastern timezone times?

26 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I get it, though I think there's something to be said for a decent contingent of traveling fans being able to help create a good atmosphere and the club being able to market that. 

An actual travelling contingent is great but, in my experience of various sporting events, oftentimes the "away" fans are people who moved and now live in the other city.  These "away" fans will still provide atmosphere without worrying about game times.