CPL 2023 Season Attendance

^ Bit of an industry standard no?  My understanding is that's what keeps the NHL going in a lot of the NBA territory. 

Place where I work had to buy Valour seasons to secure the "loge" they have for the Bombers. 

I don't give PB enough credit to re-invent the wheel.  Any wheel.

Still, pretty shady practice in a publically funded venue.  

4 hours ago, Colonel Green said:

I mean, this ultimately goes to the fact that cross-border leagues are the norm north of Mexico. I think if you asked Torontonians what Canada's top domestic league was, most would say it was MLS.

Soccer's FIFA-enforced preference for leagues strictly demarcated by national borders is not in sync with how Canadians typically think of sporting competition, at least at the pro level.

Yes, Canada and the US are *broadly* one sports market. Cross border competition has existed since things like McGill -  Harvard football, and the world's first cricket international being Canada vs the US.

On 8/11/2023 at 4:49 PM, Watchmen said:

And I agree, the CPL should not allow MLS to have reserve teams in the CPL. 

Well, they could if it was done right.  Like a differentiated branding in a separate city.  No one seems to have a problem with Atletico Ottawa so it would be a bit strange to accept a farm team from one club but categorically state there's no way the league should accept one from another club.  Personally I'd still prefer stand alone ownership groups.

35 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Well, they could if it was done right.  Like a differentiated branding in a separate city.  No one seems to have a problem with Atletico Ottawa so it would be a bit strange to accept a farm team from one club but categorically state there's no way the league should accept one from another club.  Personally I'd still prefer stand alone ownership groups.

Is Athletico Ottawa really a farm club though? Notwithstanding the ownership.

One thing that will really benefit the attendance and revenue is the new playoff structure. I didn't pay too much attention to it at first but now that I've wrapped my head around it, it should be really good. One major feature is the host of the finals will have weeks to hype and promote 

The 4000 average, 10% increase almost seems like a lay up at this point. How many leagues in the world can boast a 10% increase in attendance year over last? Wow!

6 hours ago, Kingston said:

It's for the same reason that MLS has no problem with City group and Red Bulls but will never tolerate a Chivas USA ever again - One adds value while the other doesn't and makes them look 2nd rated, CPL is just using the same logic as MLS does

27 minutes ago, Ansem said:

It's for the same reason that MLS has no problem with City group and Red Bulls but will never tolerate a Chivas USA ever again - One adds value while the other doesn't and makes them look 2nd rated, CPL is just using the same logic as MLS does

I'm not thinking of a team in TFCII kits at Lamport in front of 50 fans.  But if multi-billion dollar, runs professional hockey, basketball, football, and soccer teams MLSE wanted to put a team in, say, Kitchener in the style of Atletico Ottawa I can't think why the CPL would say no just because their other soccer team is in MLS instead of La Liga.  You'd think that would be exactly the type of ownership group the league wants to attract.

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

I'm not thinking of a team in TFCII kits at Lamport in front of 50 fans.  But if multi-billion dollar, runs professional hockey, basketball, football, and soccer teams MLSE wanted to put a team in, say, Kitchener in the style of Atletico Ottawa I can't think why the CPL would say no just because their other soccer team is in MLS instead of La Liga.  You'd think that would be exactly the type of ownership group the league wants to attract.

Bill Manning already said no and even if he did, he arrogantly pointed out that people would still know that it's "TFC II". Why bother doing business with a group that thinks so little of your project? Not saying your reasoning is wrong but clearly that's not what MLSE had in mind for CPL, so the league passed.

Edited by Ansem

23 hours ago, Ansem said:

Bill Manning already said no and even if he did, he arrogantly pointed out that people would still know that it's "TFC II". Why bother doing business with a group that thinks so little of your project? Not saying your reasoning is wrong but clearly that's not what MLSE had in mind for CPL, so the league passed.

I'm not sure why that's "arrogant" but if the two sides don't have a common vision, it isn't going to work.  Too bad because there aren't that many massive sports ownership groups operating in Canada.

2 hours ago, Tigers said:

I think there's a very clear difference between clubs that CPL will never compete against the parent clubs (i.e. Atletico, no issue) and those who they would (TFC, big issue).

And I mean compete both on and off the field. 

I wasn't imagining them being close enough together geographically to compete off the field but, yes, I guess the Canadian Championship could be an issue.

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm kinda torn because I want to Pacific and Halifax to do well but if I think about the opportunity for Forge or Ottawa to host the final and Champions Cup. On a nice day we gotta be talking about 10k plus in both locations. Depending on the Champions Cup variables maybe even more

Look bud, if it comes to a Championship Cup, I am sure that the City of Halifax will allow extra temporary stands to be erected at Wanderers Ground. To go from almost always sold out at 6,200 to 10,000 wouldn't be a big deal in Halifax. I will be bold and state that in the future, Halifax will be the first team that will consistently sell 10,000 seats. I am willing to wager that over Ottawa, Forge, or any existing teams. Quebec City might be different, if they were to join the league, they might get there sooner than Halifax.

30 minutes ago, Haligonian#1 said:

Look bud, if it comes to a Championship Cup, I am sure that the City of Halifax will allow extra temporary stands to be erected at Wanderers Ground. To go from almost always sold out at 6,200 to 10,000 wouldn't be a big deal in Halifax. I will be bold and state that in the future, Halifax will be the first team that will consistently sell 10,000 seats. I am willing to wager that over Ottawa, Forge, or any existing teams. Quebec City might be different, if they were to join the league, they might get there sooner than Halifax.

Thanks Bud. I never suggested that Halifax couldn't sell more tickets to a big game. In fact I'm with you. I think for just say a CPL Cup final or a Champions Cup game v a Mexican team with unlimited capacity Halifax could likely out sell anyone else in the CPL. I was just referring to the capacity of the current stadium 

13 hours ago, Haligonian#1 said:

Look bud, if it comes to a Championship Cup, I am sure that the City of Halifax will allow extra temporary stands to be erected at Wanderers Ground...

If we are talking Messi here, it's worth bearing in mind that the Wanderers are not allowed to use the Wanderers Grounds until May. Calgary is unlikely to be doable outdoors on grass at the time of year involved as well.

Forge and Atletico maybe could play on turf at a push but it could turn into a fiasco in weather terms. Vancouver & Valour = get real, while York may not even exist by that point so the ideal scenario would probably be Pacific in terms of actually hosting a home game and not having to move the game to somewhere like BC Place, Rogers Centre or the Big Owe.

If Messi & Co can dismantle the Philadelphia Union like they just did, a game at one of those three neutral venues could be very lucrative but highly embarrassing for an out of season CanPL team with an incomplete roster.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot