CPL 2023 Season Attendance

3,352 at IG Field for Valour vs York

Compared with the first X matches of 2022, here are the averages to date and increase/decrease from last year.

(2022 average through X home matches, 2023 average to date, % change)

Vancouver: n/a

Ottawa: missing too many attendance figures, but definitely up from 2022.

Forge: (still missing data for May 31) 

3514.75 4976 41.57%

Halifax: 

5728.5 6328.5 10.47%

Valour: 

2779.75 3041.5

9.42%

Pacific:

3108.8 3285.2

5.67%

Cavalry:

3734.75 3778.75

1.18%

York: 

1279 1230.25

-3.81%

Cavalry's fourth home match of 2022 was one of their biggest crowds of the season and much later in the month (June 26th), so their "increase" is not as big as it was after week 3.

Edited by jonovision

Someone has managed to dig up the full set of Ottawa attendance figures. It seems the process of the number getting to the league site (or to places like fotmob) is not as automatic as it should be. 

And this, if you're interested:

image.png.1deab930aeb66499b9c755f9635b0f0a.png

It might be more useful to sort the table by average attendance, but the growth(decline) in numbers is also very important at this point.

The most recent Forge home match is the only attendance figure still missing.

Edited by jonovision
table was wrong, fixed

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

Someone has managed to dig up the full set of Ottawa attendance figures. It seems the process of the number getting to the league site (or to places like fotmob) is not as automatic as it should be. 

And this, if you're interested:

image.png.3dafd90f3a4fa5271f1721b2740bef90.png

It might be more useful to sort the table by average attendance, but the growth(decline) in numbers is critical at this point.

The most recent Forge home match is the only attendance figure still missing.

If you can't trust John Candy, who can you trust?

Updated my graph with the missing figures. I've decided to go with claimed numbers (not estimated numbers) and just mark them a different colour in my table so I know to look them up again in the future to see if the numbers become official (ie: listed on canpl.ca).

image.png.a4547682be9bea1e74b6eb243447b4a0.png

Attendance was 5,524 for Saturdays Wanderers game.  This is not bad considering the recent performances of the team and especially that the forecast all week was for rain which limits single game purchases. (and there was significant rain in first half).  I expect an increase next Saturday based on the great performance of the team.  If weather is decent I would expect a return to 6,200+.  If some rain it should still be better than 5,500.

7 hours ago, BigBadBorto said:

Attendance was 5,524 for Saturdays Wanderers game.  This is not bad considering the recent performances of the team and especially that the forecast all week was for rain which limits single game purchases. (and there was significant rain in first half).  I expect an increase next Saturday based on the great performance of the team.  If weather is decent I would expect a return to 6,200+.  If some rain it should still be better than 5,500.

Where did you hear the 5,524?

I don't see a number listed for that game, or the York vs Ottawa game, or the Forge vs Pacific game.

P.S. Hey, the May 20th game between HFX and York has the number on the website now! So updates can happen! Hopefully they fill in some other gaps too.

9 hours ago, Kent said:

Where did you hear the 5,524?

I don't see a number listed for that game, or the York vs Ottawa game, or the Forge vs Pacific game.

P.S. Hey, the May 20th game between HFX and York has the number on the website now! So updates can happen! Hopefully they fill in some other gaps too.

I was at the game and they announced the crowd size in the 2nd half and the article below confirmed the 5,524 

https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-canada/sports/after-nearly-two-months-hfx-wanderers-finally-post-first-win-of-canadian-premier-league-season-100862969/

7 minutes ago, shermanator said:
A good chunk into the season and we have a good idea of how attendance compares to last year. 5 of 7 teams are up, and the 2 teams that are down are down 4 and 8 respectively. Vancouver drawing 3.5 times what Edmonton drew.

Currently 20% higher than last year's average of 3176. I'd say that's good news. 

Another way of drawing the comparison, with the same caveats about missing numbers from York and Forge. First 4, 5, or 6 matches of 2023 compared with 2022.

image.png.c0767fb9d1fedb1682799a940a7a0371.png

Last year most teams' numbers picked up as the season went along. I'm assuming that's a seasonal thing, which is why I'm making the comparison in this way. It could also be a coming-out-of-covid thing last year, in which case I'm wasting my time.

2149 on a Tuesday for Vancouver FC, not as bad as I was thinking it may be for this game as the weather was cool and damp leading up to it and big grey clouds were over the stadium pre game, plus Tuesdays are the 2nd worst weekday you could have a game scheduled for. Was happy they pulled over 2K for this one, thought crowd would be a bit less. Thankfully no more weekday games this season for Vancouver FC.

2149 implies a stadium that is one-third full. That's a stretch to put it mildly based on the Onesoccer stream and what was showing as sold on the Showpass seat map prior to kick-off.

Upbeat posts on a sub-forum that isn't being read by a mass audience won't alter the reality that FC Edmonton has been replaced by a club with broadly similar spectator appeal rather than another Halifax type success story.

The concern has to be how willing SixFive Sports will be to sustain the combined losses of a quarter of the league's clubs plus their share of the financial black hole that is York United at a time when the terms of the CSB deal are being questioned by federal politicians and both national team rosters.

If Dean Shillington is comparable to Phil Anschutz in that regard the show still has a reasonable shot at hanging in there in its current format long enough for things to potentially turn around with the current economic model, if not...

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

2149 implies a stadium that is one-third full. That's a stretch to put it mildly based on the Onesoccer stream and what was showing as sold on the Showpass seat map prior to kick-off.

I was skeptical about the attendance potential for this team from the beginning. However, the brief view of the camera side of the field in the highlights showed more full stands. Was it what they claimed, I don't know, but we're certainly not in Edmonton or York territory yet. What will be the longer term trend...I'm still skeptical, mostly because I've seen no indication that the CPL either has the resources, or maybe the expertise, to market the product effectively.

Even in Hamilton, unless you are looking for it, are one of the few people who gets the local paper, or happen to live near the stadium, you probably have only a vague idea that the CPL exists. If the league can't break into the legacy sports media, I think it's going to be very difficult to get into the consciousness of sports fans. Then they should be marketing success stories like Waterman, Farsi, McNaughton and Zator, but no one outside of the core fans will have any idea who those people are. I'm risking excoriation from the mob, but the CPL needs a dose of Trumpian hutzpah. Reality be damned, if you keep telling people you are the best thing out there, eventually a good chunk of the population will believe you.

28 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I was skeptical about the attendance potential for this team from the beginning. However, the brief view of the camera side of the field in the highlights showed more full stands...

Very carefully selected camera angles focusing on two end sections with cheaper seats where most of the season tickets were sold. Meanwhile this was posted in the game thread:

7 hours ago, nolando said:

Really terrible attendance though. Almost totally worrisome...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot