September and October 2023 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

Just now, Ottawafan said:

Normally they would, but everyone agreed they needed the break after the last year and a half and coming off of Las Vegas.

Osorio and Hoilett and Vitoria didn't agree to that.  For those that weren't there, it was their choice and they skipped out when they could've had four solid games and weeks of regular practice together.  And then on top of that, they also came out and said that the camp for Las Vegas was insufficiently short.  They can't have it both ways.  Basically their complaint is: we want to play more games but only when it is convenient for us (and also the opponent has to be politically acceptable and of a certain level and...)

If we're just making stuff up then let's just say that everyone has agreed that they need a break in September after a tough training camp and first month of games with their club teams.

12 hours ago, red card said:

Other than everyone talking about the suits the board members got, there has been little talk about the spending Canada Soccer did in 2021 and 2022. Other than the 2 years around hosting WWC 2015, these last 2 years saw the biggest outlays.

Not having a General Secretary for 7 months which left Bontis largely unchecked wasn't helpful. He assumed the increased spending would be covered by the World Cup prize monies. Bontis also didn't realize the budget implications of last spring's USSF's equity deal. Equal pay was doable (with some sacrifices from the men) but Canada Soccer isn't able to maintain the status quo with programmatic equity.

You can give them a pass for increased spending due to covid protocols and having to play the first few WCQ rounds outside of Canada.

But given these increased costs, they could have avoided providing an all expense paid trip for Nigeria to play 2 Celebration Tour matches. Given the Celebration Tour attendance/ticket prices and extra celebration activities, they lost money they couldn't afford to lose.

They then blew big money on paying off Iran and Panama with no revenue to show for it. They also spent money for the first time on a documentary series, player billboards, Canada House and a family friends package for both World Cups.

Canada House wasn't cheap.  That's for sure.

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

Osorio and Hoilett and Vitoria didn't agree to that.  For those that weren't there, it was their choice and they skipped out when they could've had four solid games and weeks of regular practice together.  And then on top of that, they also came out and said that the camp for Las Vegas was insufficiently short.  They can't have it both ways.  Basically their complaint is: we want to play more games but only when it is convenient for us (and also the opponent has to be politically acceptable and of a certain level and...)

If we're just making stuff up then let's just say that everyone has agreed that they need a break in September after a tough training camp and first month of games with their club teams.

Please re read your post, make some edits, and provide a clearer thought process.

15 hours ago, Kadenge said:

This is the most talented team we have ever had with some world class players who qualified for a WC after 30+ yrs, generated record attendance at home games with unprecedented media attention, TV viewership & Corp sponsorship.

This is where the CSA/CSB has failed and continued to drop the ball.  Perhaps they didn’t have the team in place that was needed on the business side to fully optimize the financial opportunities that the team’s success offered.  I recall the interview the FootyPrime podcast crew did with Eva Havaris from Tennis Canada where the many business failings of the CSA were brought up, most importantly further damaging the relationship with the players and team who are ultimately the product which is to be marketed.  

3 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

Possible for sure but most likely our starters just needed to take some time to rest and recover after a grind.  We were missing 9 of our top guys. 

I think more that way, as well.

Most European lesgue players are crocked up to varying degrees, especially after this past uinque long season with a World Cup in the middle, and honestly you also need to see what other guys bring to the table.  The GC was a good chance for that.

22 hours ago, red card said:

Not having a General Secretary for 7 months which left Bontis largely unchecked wasn't helpful. He assumed the increased spending would be covered by the World Cup prize monies. Bontis also didn't realize the budget implications of last spring's USSF's equity deal. Equal pay was doable (with some sacrifices from the men) but Canada Soccer isn't able to maintain the status quo with programmatic equity.

Equal pay for equal work has long been a mantra for women all over the world, and is still, unfortunately, long overdue in may nations and industries.

I may be repeating myself here, but there is a huge discrepancy in revenue generation between men's and women's programs. FIFA set 2022 WC qualification prizes fro men at 6 times the rate rate set for women. Is that unfair? Probably. Is it a realistic reflection of the present ,and slowly changing for the better, market for revenue generation from WC tournaments? Yes.

Perhaps FIFA can set aside money for "poor" federations such as ours to give a boost to the women's program.

In Canada, it seems logical to me that the men be given as many opportunities as possible to generate revenue/profit/rankings for the program so that there will be an increased pool of money to support and nurture the women's and men's U - 17, U-20 etc. programs. This is important since Canada needs to catch up developing top talent. Look at the depth in Spain's women's WC team with about 12 regulars out due to in-house disagreements and young and depth players stepping up and the team headed to the WWC final tomorrow.

A bit rambling, I know, but I hope the points are clear.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

@Stoppage Time far as I know it was this. Someone please correct if I am mistaken. Cheers.

An equal spend must be applied with discretion to timing, need, and opportunity with a logical longer term goal in mind; how does the CSA get as much revenue as possible for the betterment of all national teams? The more money, the better for everybody.

33 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

An equal spend must be applied with discretion to timing, need, and opportunity with a logical longer term goal in mind; how does the CSA get as much revenue as possible for the betterment of all national teams? The more money, the better for everybody.

Ummm, have you been paying attention to these shennanigans?  No common sense is involved at all.  The men can make 10 times the WC bonus, but the women want an equal share of prize money, and want equal spending on both programs.  And have no problem going to social media and/or the goverment to rake CSA over the coals if they dont think they are getting it, whether it makes sense or not.  SOOOO the men will get less WC money, are mad at the women, but cant say that (or they would get raked over the coals) and wont sign an agreement that gives the women an equal share, so the WC money doesnt get paid out, then they complain they havnt been paid yet for the WC.  And they try and rake CSA over the coals for not skipping windows, but CSA cant have the camp because it would piss the women off ie unequal spending on the men.  And no one seems to care about having a youth program..you know the real amateurs that dont have other jobs, unlike the national team guys whose the CMNT money is just a addition to their real pay cheques.  

Devos is the mean old dad, telling the kids there is only half a pail of ice cream.  Cant let the older kids eat it all, they'll have to take small bowls so the little kids can have some too.  And thats all the ice cream there is because thats all I got from the CO-OP/CSB because I didnt think you kids would grow up so fast and eat so much. Bad Dad.....but no matter how hungry you are, I have to go back and renegotiate to get more so just eat what you have and maybe next year there will be more, but never enough so that everyone gets all they want.  And the more crying and whining about ice cream there is, the better the chance MOM is going to come in here and ban ice cream forever.  

10 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

...Perhaps FIFA can set aside money for "poor" federations such as ours to give a boost to the women's program...

A lot of people at FIFA would probably ask why a "poor" federation signed the CSB deal for a fixed annual fee out to 2037 and could ever be categorized that way in the first place when it hosted the Women's World Cup in 2015 and will be a co-host of the men's World Cup in 2026. There are no easy answers on this, unfortunately. Personally think it's the likes of South Sudan and East Timor that deserve extra help from FIFA rather than Canada and the crisis that the CSA currently faces can reasonably be described as first world problems when viewed from that sort of vantage point.

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Ummm, have you been paying attention to these shennanigans?  No common sense is involved at all.  The men can make 10 times the WC bonus, but the women want an equal share of prize money, and want equal spending on both programs.  And have no problem going to social media and/or the goverment to rake CSA over the coals if they dont think they are getting it, whether it makes sense or not.  SOOOO the men will get less WC money, are mad at the women, but cant say that (or they would get raked over the coals) and wont sign an agreement that gives the women an equal share, so the WC money doesnt get paid out, then they complain they havnt been paid yet for the WC.  And they try and rake CSA over the coals for not skipping windows, but CSA cant have the camp because it would piss the women off ie unequal spending on the men.  And no one seems to care about having a youth program..you know the real amateurs that dont have other jobs, unlike the national team guys whose the CMNT money is just a addition to their real pay cheques.  

Devos is the mean old dad, telling the kids there is only half a pail of ice cream.  Cant let the older kids eat it all, they'll have to take small bowls so the little kids can have some too.  And thats all the ice cream there is because thats all I got from the CO-OP/CSB because I didnt think you kids would grow up so fast and eat so much. Bad Dad.....but no matter how hungry you are, I have to go back and renegotiate to get more so just eat what you have and maybe next year there will be more, but never enough so that everyone gets all they want.  And the more crying and whining about ice cream there is, the better the chance MOM is going to come in here and ban ice cream forever.  

I guess I should put a trigger warning to this post. I'm not by any means suggesting I know all the angles to the dispute and maybe i'm old but a good start would be a return to sound economics based on supply and demand. World Cup tickets for the men are like 5x than for the women. This idea that people should have an equitable wage just because its the feel good thing or the right thing isnt a good idea IMO Saputo loses money with CF Montreal. Should WNBA players get the same as NBA players? Maurice Richard worked in a factory in the summers while he played. My uncle turned down playing in the CFL in the 50s because it wasn't a livable wage...Things should happen organically like in women's tennis, NHL, CFL,  you cant force something to be on an equal footing and sprinkle hope (expect a same level of demand) on it and call it a good business plan. If equity absolutely needs to be upheld then thats where the government needs to step in and subsidize that side, or take your lumps while you work up the demand. 

2 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

This seems to happen every other week.  Has this ever actually happened and it’s been legit?

The Japan one was, wasn't it? That came out on wiki before we had any offical comfirmation. Yes most times its BS though