September and October 2023 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

I stopped caring a long time ago. Everyone sleeps in the bed they make.

I just wait for official competitions and whatever 11 guys are running around wearing the maple leaf, I'll cheer for them.

I think we should cancel all extra camps  friendlies whatever. Put those resources in to the CPL, youth teams and League 1 set ups.

Edited by SpursFlu

12 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

This whole thing makes me want to bash my head against the wall. 

How can the players be surprised they are suffering? This was the obvious consequence of supporting pay equity with the women. I said this from the very beginning the men would suffer as a result of this choice.

Meanwhile, the CSA and even the women are suffering from this choice as well, which is ironic because pay equity was supposed to help the women most of all. The reality is there is not enough money to go around. It's always been that way. 

I am not trying to bash pay equity as a concept. That's not my intention. It just wasn't the right time and the CSA are not the right organization to pull it off. Maybe if the CSA was the USSF there'd be a chance to make it work, but this is the real world, not make believe. The CSA and USSF are nowhere near the same ball park when it comes to resources and know-how.  

I would just use our national team as a showcase for domestic based players. It will help our players enhance their career, get better opportunities, better pay cheques and put money back in to the CPL with the inevitable transfer fees. It will also help use the national team platform to enhance the profile of our domestic leagues. Same concept with the women 

We can tell the rest of them to not quit their day jobs. I'm sure they'll be fine

Again playing for the national team is not your job. There is no gun held to anyone's head. Player selection is subjective anyways. Start a list and just run thru until you get 24 happy Canadians

Edited by SpursFlu

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I would just use our national team as a showcase for domestic based players. It will help our players enhance their career, get better opportunities, better pay cheques and put money back in to the CPL with the inevitable transfer fees. It will also help use the national team platform to enhance the profile of our domestic leagues. Same concept with the women 

We can tell the rest of them to not quit their day jobs. I'm sure they'll be fine

I doubt it will ever happen but it is an option the CSA could use, I suppose. We'd suffer on the field but at least some domestic players would get opportunties. Imagine a Kyle Bekker recall? :lol: Kind of fun to think about a fantasy CMNT with only CPL players.

Other than to drum up anger and hatred at the CSA and the CSB with the soccer public by feeding them lies which many ill-informed and gullible fans are buying into as a means of improving their negotiating ability, what exactly is the point of these lawyer-written statements put out by men's players association?

Honestly you've only got about 6 players who have gone and pee'd in the pool. They'll be flushed out quick anyways because I doubt any of them are Alphonso Davies and everyone in the world is replaceable no matter what you're talking about. Especially something as unnecessary as football. 

For the couple cry babies, Better Call Saul and keep trying to get some internet clout because you're all getting older by the second anyways 

Besides what's the difference between some of these guys and a top CPL player anyways? Only real difference is one makes 8x the money as the other

Edited by SpursFlu

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Other than to drum up anger and hatred at the CSA and the CSB with the soccer public by feeding them lies which many ill-informed and gullible fans are buying into as a means of improving their negotiating ability, what exactly is the point of these lawyer-written statements put out by men's players association?

Is it even fans at this point or a few uninformed people who've never seen a football match and a couple cbc reporters 

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not a good look for the players, this just reaffirms how much they actually don't understand. They need to stop, change representation, be reasonable and sign the damn deal

Honestly I think at this point I'm tired of this dispute, and as a result I'm becoming apathetic to the program. We had a shitty summer all things considered, given the hype prior and now it just feels like there's no point in any of this and I can't even get really excited about a World Cup coming to Canada.

"I'm tired, boss"

Edited by VinceA

Who are the "players"? 

Who are we even talking about?

It's all so silly. They won't define who they are because they're using the concept of a whole group of people to garner sympathy and leverage 

I say the emperor wears no clothes. It's probably 5 guys sinking the ship. Technically 99% of professional soccer players who are Canadians have never stood in the same room as these guys and would walk over hot coals to get called up to the national team. 

Edited by SpursFlu

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Not a good look for the players, this just reaffirms how much they actually don't understand. They need to stop, change representation, be reasonable and sign the damn deal

Thankfully those that feel this way are a very small minority.

42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Meanwhile, the CSA and even the women are suffering from this choice as well, which is ironic because pay equity was supposed to help the women most of all. The reality is there is not enough money to go around. It's always been that way. 

This is the crux of the problem. 

Edited by mpg_29

18 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Anybody who is a fan of the team should be concerned by talk of threats from the CSA to pull out of the Nations League and following on from that Copa America in 2024. I seriously doubt the players would release a statement with that included if it doesn't have some basis in reality. Suspect the CSA are threatening to stop selecting the members of the CMNSTPA rather than not fulfilling those fixtures but time will tell.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Thankfully those that feel this way are a very small minority.

A small minority of a minority. The true majority (non-fans and casuals) don't really care and get turned off by all of this. NHL, NBA season is fast approaching while the Jays are doing well but hey - good on you players to keep complaining publicly as if this would move the needle in this labour dispute.

They won't pull out of the Nations League. They'll field a team and we'll cheer for them

At a certain point just need to stand up to people and say enough is enough. I think a CPL team would qualify for Copa America and either way I'd be sleeping like a baby

Edited by SpursFlu

Just now, Ansem said:

A small minority of a minority. The true majority (non-fans and casuals) don't really care and get turned off by all of this. NHL, NBA season is fast approaching while the Jays are doing well but hey - good on you players to keep complaining publicly as if this would move the needle in this labour dispute.

If this was the 1980’s I’d agree with you. At this point fans aren’t overly concerned about players and management attempting to work out a labour agreement.  

9 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Anybody who is a fan of the team should be concerned by talk of threats from the CSA to pull out of the Nations League and following on from that Copa America in 2024. I seriously doubt the players would release a statement with that included if it doesn't have some basis in reality. Suspect the CSA are threatening to stop selecting the members of the CMNSTPA rather than not fulfilling those fixtures but time will tell.

I can’t imagine CSA would bail on Nations League/Copa America as those would presumably be a net positive as far as money goes. I don’t buy that they’d just call in players from CPL or other players that aren’t in the union because I couldn’t imagine any players accepting that call. They’d be condemned by fans/media as being scabs (rightfully so in my opinion), and any player with a chance to make the actual team in the future would never be accepted into the group.