September and October 2023 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It pains me to say it but I am fine with it too, but it has to be two good games. SK and JP would certainly fit the bill.

Japan is great competition.  Even if we played a lower ranked squad, so be it.  But SK with Japan is very solid one two punch of games.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

@Olympique_de_Marseille seems to track this most closely. Any reason why we couldn't play the Aussies?

There is no reason why we couldn't.

I suspect the reasons against would be

#1.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

After travel expenses, how much could we realistically earn from that one game in the US? Plus, these players fly economy in North America, we know that, so how do you convince Jonathan David and Davies and all those guys to fly AC Rouge to a meaningless friendly in the US that isn’t preparing them for a major upcoming tournament? 

#2.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Playing Australia may be problematic for Herdman’s bullshit about top 5 levels and needing them to advance in a World Cup. 

#3.

To make it easier to show something closer to spending parity between the #CanWNT and #CanMNT programs.

#4.

It also allows the CSA to skip a Women's FIFA window in October or November for the women and say: "Look, we skipped the September window for the men!".

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

4 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

There is no reason why we couldn't.

I suspect the reasons against would be

#1.

After travel expenses, how much could we realistically earn from that one game in the US? Plus, these players fly economy in North America, we know that, so how do you convince Jonathan David and Davies and all those guys to fly AC Rouge to a meaningless friendly in the US that isn’t preparing them for a major upcoming tournament? 

Okay cool, but why should our players balk at the chance to come back to NA and play Australia? It's prepping them for a major upcoming tournament (Copa America). By that logic they wouldn't be convinced of going to Japan either, since they'd have to fly economy.

Hopefully we can nab Australia. Even a closed door to cut down on costs...

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It is. Japan is ranked 20th. Australia 27th.

But is it worth all that travel for one match?

I assume we will play Korea in October.

Ah I see what you mean now. Fair point I guess, but I can't really see these guys turning it down even still. And if they do we have a ton of domestic guys, and even Euro guys, who would jump at the chance to play Australia - a WC team that made the knockouts and ranked 27th. Really nothing to scoff at, but easy for me to say.

You guys are fine that we're skipping the September international window? What the fuck, are you stupid? How do you not realize how problematic this is?  

Where's daddy CSB now? I thought they were the savior of this national team? Can't they provide the team with funding to be able to afford to play a match, something third world countries are able to do?

14 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

You guys are fine that we're skipping the September international window? What the fuck, are you stupid? How do you not realize how problematic this is?  

Where's daddy CSB now? I thought they were the savior of this national team? Can't they provide the team with funding to be able to afford to play a match, something third world countries are able to do?

The CSA unfortunately is paralyzed with the DEI ideology that is sweeping through the federally funded federations.  There is no way we can get more friendlies for the men, unless we spend an equal amount on the women.  We unfortunately will be hamstrung in the years leading up to the 2026 World Cup.

34 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

The CSA unfortunately is paralyzed with the DEI ideology that is sweeping through the federally funded federations.  There is no way we can get more friendlies for the men, unless we spend an equal amount on the women.  We unfortunately will be hamstrung in the years leading up to the 2026 World Cup.

🙄

The CSA should be able to properly support both of its teams. If you're angry that the federation isn't free to just ignore the women's team, that's actually a good example of the problem.

43 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

There is no way we can get more friendlies for the men, unless we spend an equal amount on the women.  We unfortunately will be hamstrung in the years leading up to the 2026 World Cup.

Why is funding friendlies even a problem?  Host a game, sell tickets, and make a profit off it instead of worrying about how to pay for it.

What is probably the worst part of this is when Devos refers to the game in September that they had the opportunity to play in Europe against I believe Saudi Arabia and South Korea. He said theyboriginally couldn't commit, but then came back a couple weeks later, but it was too late. If they hadn't dawdle our fall friendlies would be awesome, instead they have committed themselves to not playing at all.

20 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

🙄

The CSA should be able to properly support both of its teams. If you're angry that the federation isn't free to just ignore the women's team, that's actually a good example of the problem.

I think @YorkRegionFan is angry that Canada isn't playing more games. That should make us all angry, no? The reality seems to be that playing more friendlies is hampered by our commitment to spending equal amounts on both programs. It is what it is.

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

I think most of us are resigned to the reality the CSA finds itself in. I am "fine" with it, but in truth it's embarrassing. But our state of affairs are embarrassing, so missing a window entirely is sadly par the course now. 

12 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Is that actually true, though?  I mean, shouldn't ticket sales track with the opponent?

The appearance fees for top-tier nations are simply beyond what Canada Soccer can afford to pay and still make a profit, going by the size of available venues and what they get for media rights.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I think @YorkRegionFan is angry that Canada isn't playing more games. That should make us all angry, no? The reality seems to be that playing more friendlies is hampered by our commitment to spending equal amounts on both programs. It is what it is.

They state that the federation should be able to just host more friendlies for the men and ignore the women's team's needs -- which are no less than the men's, seeing as they will hopefully be preparing for an Olympics next year.

45 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

🙄

We apparently had games vs the Saudis and SK on offer, where the net cost was 200K. Net of a 500K fee from SA. According to JDV we had to turn that down as the CSA could not fund 700K to fund a CWNT window as well. I think that's a problem. If the CMNT is attracting higher appearance fees why should they be penalized for it?

18 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

The appearance fees for top-tier nations are simply beyond what Canada Soccer can afford to pay and still make a profit, going by the size of available venues and what they get for media rights.

Any idea what the appearance fees might be?

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

We apparently had games vs the Saudis and SK on offer, where the net cost was 200K. Net of a 500K fee from SA. According to JDV we had to turn that down as the CSA could not fund 700K to fund a CWNT window as well. I think that's a problem. If the CMNT is attracting higher appearance fees why should they be penalized for it?

They aren't being penalized for it?

1 minute ago, Kingston said:

Any idea what the appearance fees might be?

Per reports, 3-5 million, depending on the country and assorted circumstances (I don't think any of these countries would consider playing us to be an especially meaningful test or their abilities or a key to beneficial media exposure, so that probably drives up the price).

4 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

Its weird that the players trike cost us 5 million in lost revenue against Panama, but that they seem fine skipping most every window for friendlies

I think the $5m figure was the Iran game, not the Panama game. I realize Panama replaced them, but the tickets weren't directly replaced 1 for 1. Panama was going to be a good attendance but not to the level of Iran.

Having said that, I'll circle back to the question/statement I've said before: why isn't the CSB helping fund/facilitate some home friendlies? Let them take a percentage of the revenue, but less revenue for the CSA from a home date is better than no revenue + no game.

1 hour ago, Colonel Green said:

🙄

I am not sure where you get the idea that I am angry.  Soccer is just a game and there are more important things in life than to be upset about a game.  I am simply stating the fact that politics at the federal government level and within the CSA has led us to the current situation of missing the September window.

If this is true.. we're fucked

Crabs in a bucket.. so typical of this country 

All just to keep the bought and paid for media in this country from chasing them around with tar and feathers. What a joke

Edited by SpursFlu