September and October 2023 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

“Given our inability to confirm an additional high-quality opponent in the September window that met our competitive needs, as well as financial constraints, we were unable to secure fixtures for both windows,” added Jason deVos, interim General Secretary, Canada Soccer.”

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-to-face-japan-in-fall-international-friendly/

It's pretty clear that nothing will be going on in September. :(

Why would he say that?  Seriously??

And when the press release came out were they doing it on Japan time to possibly maximize ticket sales there?

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

“Given our inability to confirm an additional high-quality opponent in the September window that met our competitive needs, as well as financial constraints, we were unable to secure fixtures for both windows,” added Jason deVos, interim General Secretary, Canada Soccer.”

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-to-face-japan-in-fall-international-friendly/

It's pretty clear that nothing will be going on in September. :(

For me in Hong Kong, it’s a 6:30pm start so no better way to ease yourself into the weekend. 

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

DeVos doesn’t have a filter it seems. I wonder if they’ll try and get a second game in Japan in October. 

Weren’t people asking for transparency? Unlike the apparently idle musings about bankruptcy, there’s nothing said here that everyone wouldn’t already assume. He’s being straight with the public.

46 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

He means that they were looking at playing one match per window, so they got Japan but couldn’t manage anything for the earlier window.

Just one match per window or one quality match per window? Why would we only play one match windows? Wouldn’t a two match window make more sense and be more cost efficient? 

These aren’t questions for you, just thinking aloud. 

6 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Just one match per window or one quality match per window? Why would we only play one match windows? Wouldn’t a two match window make more sense and be more cost efficient? 

One would gather that Herdman isn’t interested in playing non-quality matches (we already have Nations League and the Gold Cup for that).

23 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

Weren’t people asking for transparency? Unlike the apparently idle musings about bankruptcy, there’s nothing said here that everyone wouldn’t already assume. He’s being straight with the public.

I’m thinking about the whole “we’re thinking of bankruptcy” statement and then the ensuing “we’re not gonna file for bankruptcy, just that we THOUGHT about LEARNING about it”. Would not be surprised if they release a follow up statement saying that actually, we’re still trying for a September friendly and will update fans accordingly or something.

Minor gripe, because the real issue is that we couldn’t get any other games. 

19 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Why not just try to get a friendly against a Concacaf opponent in September if you don’t have the money for travel. I think playing a full strength Jamaica would be a good challenge.

Just hypothesizing, maybe we don’t want to play them or any CONCACAF opponent that we might play in November.

24 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Why not just try to get a friendly against a Concacaf opponent in September if you don’t have the money for travel. I think playing a full strength Jamaica would be a good challenge.

I don’t know if this would be enough to entice the players to show up to be honest.

15 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

One would gather that Herdman isn’t interested in playing non-quality matches (we already have Nations League and the Gold Cup for that).

True, although we’ve had 6 high quality opponents in the last year. At least if we played a lower tier opponent in September it could be an opportunity to work in some new faces with the A team.

Priority should be qualifying for the copa America where you’ll be guaranteed high quality competitive matches. In order to do so we need to qualify through CONCACAF, so it hardly makes sense to nitpick friendly opponents right now. 

4 minutes ago, VinceA said:

The fact we can't even host friendlies and make money off the gate is both hilarious and depressing.

This is the most glaring sign of ineptitude in my opinion. Everything else can be arguable but this is just inexcusable. It would be great if a journalist could actually dive into the reasons we can’t do so - rather than constant stories about how our players aren’t being pampered enough. We shouldn’t even be talking about treating players to world class standards if we can’t even organize successful home matches. Priorities. 

Thinking here: why don’t we ever try for a Mexico friendly? Have we ever faced them in a friendly in our history? Could be an easy sell out and maybe it’s expensive but at least you’re in the green somehow/some way. 

1 hour ago, Colonel Green said:

Why wouldn’t he? If we’re not going to be playing in September, the fed should say as much, and that would immediately invite the question of why, so he explained that as well.

If the goal is to continue to divulge the ineptitude of the CSA then you are right, why wouldn't he.

2 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

We probably will not be hosting any games while the CSA and the players are at a standoff on a labour agreement.  The memory of the cancellation in Vancouver is probably lingering in the minds of the deep thinkers at the CSA.

That’s actually a really good point. Hopefully the cost of that last cancellation has been subtracted from the players side of the negotiations.

Would everyone be okay if we play Mexico in a friendly at BMO or BC Place, charged $150-200 a ticket and had it filled with 80% away fans?  Cause it would sell out at $150 a ticket guaranteed.  Cause I think that’s the only way you make money off of these things.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Would everyone be okay if we play Mexico in a friendly at BMO or BC Place, charged $150-200 a ticket and had it filled with 80% away fans?  Cause it would sell out at $150 a ticket guaranteed.  Cause I think that’s the only way you make money off of these things.

Yes, 1000% yes. I also think 80% away fans is generous. We have an established season ticket holder-like base of 12,000 fans that make it out no matter the opponent and I’d expect that would grow with an opponent like Mexico.