CONCACAF Nations League 2023/2024 - Group Stage & ¼finals - General Thread

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Tyler Adams, who is their captain, seems to be a good character. 

Usually when I talked about the brats on their team I wouldn’t include Dest but he plainly revealed himself last night. 

Dest has received two red cards in a USMNT uniform for petulance this year alone. He's always been a tool.

12 hours ago, Vasi said:

The usa has so much talent that they should be undisputed kings of this region. 

Unfortunately that talent is composed of petulant unprofessional man babies. They are so dam ridiculous. 

I cant think of one of their top players that I would consider captain material. 

Who was their last star player that was not a baby? Bradley? 

Do we consider Matt Turner a star? I think he’s bonafide captain material. 

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Turner seems like a stand up dude and a mature human being. He's also 29 which makes him the oldest player by about 3 years if you are just considering the core of that team. 

Maybe this is why Greg was slow to transition out the old guys. You need mature players to set the inmature ones straight. 

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I just saw a tik tok of his dancing and I think he might be after landycakes levels of cringe. 

He also makes personal highlight videos after every game regardless of how him or the team fared.

He posted one on Instagram with his personal "highlights" during PSV's 4-0 Champions League loss at Arsenal and got mocked mercilessly for it.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Turner seems like a stand up dude and a mature human being. He's also 29 which makes him the oldest player by about 3 years if you are just considering the core of that team. 

Maybe this is why Greg was slow to transition out the old guys. You need mature players to set the inmature ones straight. 

Tim Ream is far older and serves as captain now, which is a good choice IMO.

Obviously Ream is getting close to the end so Turner is a good choice for the 90% of the time that Adams is injured in the future.

1 hour ago, Addona said:

Two ties tonight would suit us perfectly, wouldn’t it? Have the US play Panama!

That's right. USA would be the only team on 3 points. Panama is on 6 points. Low scoring win would be most ideal. I want those FIFA points. I don't think we are going to surpass +5 goal difference, but if Jamaica implode who knows. 

Just now, RS said:

Tim Ream is far older and serves as captain now, which is a good choice IMO.

Obviously Ream is getting close to the end so Turner is a good choice for the 90% of the time that Adams is injured in the future.

Yeah I forgot Ream for a second. Think I was looking forward and seeing him in the same vein as Vitoria. But yes absolutely I like the Ream shout. I also like how he was up in Dest's face after that bone-headed act. Turner as well. 

Conversely, Reyna was far too slow and passive and didn't get him out of there quick enough, and Musah was just arguing with the Ref for some reason. 

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Turner reminds me of Borjan a bit, character-wise. No bullshit guy who would yell at a teammate if he was out of line. Different players of course, but I really like Turner; he’s always impressed me against Canada.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Turner reminds me of Borjan a bit, character-wise. No bullshit guy who would yell at a teammate if he was out of line. Different players of course, but I really like Turner; he’s always impressed me against Canada.

Me too, especially when he skied that goal kick in Hamilton that we pounced on for Larin's goal. 😁

19 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

There's no hockey tonight at all. The CFL is over. Baseball is over. The Raptors play in Orlando, but other than that there's nothing on the sports schedule. A good win by Canada could get them more coverage than normal.

If only the game was on cable TV so that the casuals could watch... you're never going to have casuals purchase OneSoccer/Fubo.

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Turner may have found his ceiling. He has been benched at Forest since he made a glaring error at the end of October. He should have also stopped T&T's second goal if you view him as a Premier League keeper.

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

If only the game was on cable TV so that the casuals could watch... you're never going to have casuals purchase OneSoccer/Fubo.

No, but it's more likely to at least get an extended highlights package during Sportscenter or whatever. 

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Next NL will come around again in 2025, no? Probably looking at 2 years. 

I was exaggerating a bit, but not by much. With this year's Nations League format USA only has to play 1 away game per Nations League tournament. The quarter-final away leg. So they will play

2024 Nations League Finals - at home
2024 Copa America - at home
2025 NL - 1 away game for the quarter finals, rest most likely at home (if they advance)
2025 Gold Cup - most likely at home
2026 World Cup - at home
2026 if there is NL and it's the same format, 1 away game
2027 Gold Cup - most likely at home

etc. At least after 2026 they will be forced to play away games in World Cup Qualifying, unless that format changes. I wouldn't be shocked if they do change it. I mean they did break a perfectly reasonable format for Nations League to give USA 1 away game instead of the onerous 2 they had to play before.

16 minutes ago, Kent said:

I was exaggerating a bit, but not by much. With this year's Nations League format USA only has to play 1 away game per Nations League tournament. The quarter-final away leg. So they will play

2024 Nations League Finals - at home
2024 Copa America - at home
2025 NL - 1 away game for the quarter finals, rest most likely at home (if they advance)
2025 Gold Cup - most likely at home
2026 World Cup - at home
2026 if there is NL and it's the same format, 1 away game
2027 Gold Cup - most likely at home

etc. At least after 2026 they will be forced to play away games in World Cup Qualifying, unless that format changes. I wouldn't be shocked if they do change it. I mean they did break a perfectly reasonable format for Nations League to give USA 1 away game instead of the onerous 2 they had to play before.

The thing about the NL semi-final/final is that that's exactly the type of thing that should be moved to other countries. It's 4 games (assuming there's a 3rd place game) as opposed to 31 for a Gold Cup. And you could so something cool like let the #1 seed host it. Imagine Panama getting to host this time. Great for them both on and off the pitch.

22 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

The thing about the NL semi-final/final is that that's exactly the type of thing that should be moved to other countries. It's 4 games (assuming there's a 3rd place game) as opposed to 31 for a Gold Cup. And you could so something cool like let the #1 seed host it. Imagine Panama getting to host this time. Great for them both on and off the pitch.

BC Place would be a great venue to host the final four, if they could get grass that would hold up. As would Azteca or any number of Mexican venues.

The Gold Cup still exists for cynical money-milking purposes, so the NL Finals should absolutely move around.