CONCACAF Nations League 2023/2024 - Group Stage & ¼finals - General Thread

Panama up 3-0 at half against Costa Rica. I'm not keen on trying to pick which semi final opponent I want to play (but I would love for Mexico to get eliminated because I want bad things for the eternal hosts (USA) and de-facto hosts (Mexico) due to the unfair favourtism they receive). Would we really rather play Panama the way they have been piling up results? Remember, they beat USA in the Gold Cup semi finals and lost to Mexico to a goal in the 88th minute.

15 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

A Honduras tie would be the best case scenario. Guarantee them 2nd or 3rd, but not too much confidence from a win at Azteca.

Depending on tie-breaks, they would still be below the States and it doesn't look like we are catching Panama. 

Edit: Whoops misunderstood. The tie would put them ahead of the States, no matter the goals.

And we can't advance and be 4th.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

6 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Depending on tie-breaks, they would still be below the States and it doesn't look like we are catching Panama. 

A Honduras tie would definitely put them ahead of the USA. The Americans are on 3 points and +2 GD. A Honduras tie would put them on 4 points and a +2 GD. A tie for us would put us in 3rd. A win would put us in 2nd, unless we lay on enough goals to overhaul Panama's GD. The only way the Americans aren't 4th is for both Jamaica and Mexico to win, but not by enough to better their GD.

Just now, SthMelbRed said:

A Honduras tie would definitely put them ahead of the USA. The Americans are on 3 points and +2 GD. A Honduras tie would put them on 4 points and a +2 GD. A tie for us would put us in 3rd. A win would put us in 2nd, unless we lay on enough goals to overhaul Panama's GD. The only way the Americans aren't 4th is for both Jamaica and Mexico to win, but not by enough to better their GD.

Actually, they could finish 3rd if only one of those results hit for them.

9 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Yes got so caught in the ties breaks, I ignored the forest.

Assuming we advance we will be at least 1-0-1 and ahead of the States.

But Honduras can lose 0-1 and advance and be below the States. Correct?

27 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

And we can't advance and be 4th.

Yes we can. If we lose to Jamaica 1-0 tomorrow we will have 3 points and be even on goal difference, and advance on away goals. That would put us below USA and we would be in the running to be ranked 4th.

If that happened, and Mexico won 2-0 to tie Honduras, I'm not totally sure but maybe we would be ranked ahead of them on away goals?

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yes we can. If we lose to Jamaica 1-0 tomorrow we will have 3 points and be even on goal difference, and advance on away goals. That would put us below USA and we would be in the running to be ranked 4th.

If that happened, and Mexico won 2-0 to tie Honduras, I'm not totally sure but maybe we would be ranked ahead of them on away goals?

Thanks. Too many scenarios.

Tie breaks are 

-Wins-draws

-goal difference 

-goals scored 

- then, yes away goals

It is honestly a weird mix of formats, taking seedings from a two legged format.

Just to clarify, we can literally end up in any ranking position. With Panama's game against Costa Rica over (3-1 for Panama), here are the possibilities so far, as best as I can tell. It's not very restricted yet.

1. Panama, Canada, or Honduras
2. Panama, Canada, Honduras, USA, Mexico, or Jamaica
3. Panama, Canada, Honduras, USA, Mexico, or Jamaica
4. Canada, Honduras, USA, Mexico, or Jamaica

Panama is for sure ahead of USA, Mexico, and Jamaica (if Mexico and/or Jamaica qualify).

10 hours ago, Vasi said:

The usa has so much talent that they should be undisputed kings of this region. 

Unfortunately that talent is composed of petulant unprofessional man babies. They are so dam ridiculous. 

I cant think of one of their top players that I would consider captain material. 

Who was their last star player that was not a baby? Bradley? 

Tyler Adams, who is their captain, seems to be a good character. 

Usually when I talked about the brats on their team I wouldn’t include Dest but he plainly revealed himself last night. 

It's really not that complicated. We want to win and have Honduras win or tie. 

Honestly, I don't think even the most optimistic fan would expect us to win by more than 4 goals and it makes no difference if we are the 2nd or 3rd seed since the game is at a neutral venue.

This would set up US-Panama and Canada-Honduras.

Edited by Stryker911