CONCACAF Nations League 2023/2024 - Group Stage & ¼finals - General Thread

19 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

You seem to contradict yourself here. If you want the region to grow why would you want Mexico to pound Honduras? 

My bad, I kind of mean the teams with potential. I don’t want the regions most historic team losing to Honduras, I want teams like Mexico to grow. I honestly couldn’t care less if Honduras grows or not.

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think Mexico will pull it off anyways but strategically we don't want Mexico to lose because we wouldn't want them down in the 4th pot. That would undoubtedly create the chance of a group of death in Copa America 

I suspect all the groups will be a bit group-of-deathy for us.  I'll take whatever helps us win the NL now and worry about the Copa later.

As I just posted in the LDF silly season thread, I am worried that Concacaf will rescue Mexico if they don't go through.

In Concacaf, money talks to the point of altering the spirit of fair competition, systematically. Leagues Cup an example, the US hosting and getting to play at home for all tournaments, even though their away results are notably worse.

Or maybe Concacaf will "help" them with reffing or the like, because they won't stand idly by if Mexico don't classify for the Copa on merit. They'll come up with some after the fact gerrymandering. I don't say this about the States because it looks like they are fine, but if they had their backs to the wall I'd think the same. Two nations in our region are the best, but if they weren't, we'd find a way to solve that minor detail.

34 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I suspect all the groups will be a bit group-of-deathy for us.  I'll take whatever helps us win the NL now and worry about the Copa later.

I'm not sure at what point a group is group of deathy and when it's not for a 3rd seed team but I think we've got a real chance and should feel like we "could" get out of our group. I look at tournament very simply

Get out of group - success 

3rd - disappointed but

4th (no wins) disappointing, failure

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As I just posted in the LDF silly season thread, I am worried that Concacaf will rescue Mexico if they don't go through.

In Concacaf, money talks to the point of altering the spirit of fair competition, systematically. Leagues Cup an example, the US hosting and getting to play at home for all tournaments, even though their away results are notably worse.

Or maybe Concacaf will "help" them with reffing or the like, because they won't stand idly by if Mexico don't classify for the Copa on merit. They'll come up with some after the fact gerrymandering. I don't say this about the States because it looks like they are fine, but if they had their backs to the wall I'd think the same. Two nations in our region are the best, but if they weren't, we'd find a way to solve that minor detail.

Have you seen Trinidad? It won't get there

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As inconsistent as Mexico has been, I don't think they'd need any help against Trinidad & Tobago. I don't really think anyone needs to worry about them missing the Copa.

34 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

As inconsistent as Mexico has been, I don't think they'd need any help against Trinidad & Tobago. I don't really think anyone needs to worry about them missing the Copa.

You know who said this exact same thing and ended up not going to the World Cup?

...the way Mexico look, anything is possible in a win-and-your-in game.

I would be happy to see Mexico not qualify, but at the same time...it just wouldn't be right, if you know what I mean.

12 minutes ago, gator said:

That was a terrible display of petulance by him, I didn't even see what caused him to boot the ball into the stands to begin with, such a selfish thing to do, I hope they continue to pick him!😀

I think he was mad at the AR saying the ball went out maybe?

Love watching the USMNT implode.

The usa has so much talent that they should be undisputed kings of this region. 

Unfortunately that talent is composed of petulant unprofessional man babies. They are so dam ridiculous. 

I cant think of one of their top players that I would consider captain material. 

Who was their last star player that was not a baby? Bradley? 

16 minutes ago, phil03 said:

Anyone know what the tiebreakers are beyond the goal differential and the number of goals for? After tonight it isn't hard to imagine it could be relevant for us...

Not sure.

But it's looking like the USA and Mexico (or Honduras) will be the 3rd and 4th seeds