CONCACAF Nations League 2023/2024 - Group Stage & ¼finals - General Thread

The PDF regulations document:

https://www.concacaf.com/en/nations-league/regulations/

says relegation has not been paused. So maybe I was wrong about that? Or maybe they changed their minds?

16 minutes ago, narduch said:

The way I'm reading it on Wikipedia it's based on Concacaf rankings. No Nations League performance 

The 4 seeded teams are ranked based on CONCACAF Rankings after the October window. So we will be 3rd and Costa Rica will be 4th.

The other 4 teams are ranked as follows:

"The four (4) teams that advance from the Group Stage to the League A Quarterfinals will be ranked based on their performance in the Group Stage."

That twitter account you posted has it right @narduch

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

7 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

says relegation has not been paused. So maybe I was wrong about that? Or maybe they changed their minds?

The 4 seeded teams are ranked based on CONCACAF Rankings after the October window. So we will be 3rd and Costa Rica will be 4th.

The other 4 teams are ranked as follows:

"The four (4) teams that advance from the Group Stage to the League A Quarterfinals will be ranked based on their performance in the Group Stage."

That twitter account you posted has it right @narduch

From that document I believe:

"12.7.1. The top four (4) teams in the ranking have been pre-seeded in the Quarterfinals matchups, using the Concacaf Rankings after the International Window of October 2023 as follows:
• Quarterfinal 1: 4th Ranked PMA
• Quarterfinal 2: 3rd Ranked PMA
• Quarterfinal 3: 2nd Ranked PMA
• Quarterfinal 4: 1st Ranked PMA

12.7.2. The four (4) teams that advance from the Group Stage to the League A Quarterfinals will be ranked based on their performance in the Group Stage according to section 12.4, and distributed in the Quarterfinals as follows:
• Quarterfinal 1: 4th Ranked PMA vs Best 1st Place (1A/1B)
• Quarterfinal 2: 3rd Ranked PMA vs Next 1st Place (1A/1B)
• Quarterfinal 3: 2nd Ranked PMA vs Best 2nd Place (2A/2B)
• Quarterfinal 4: 1st Ranked PMA vs Next 2nd Place"

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I know we would have two shots at Copa but looking at route 1 if we play Jamaica, I’m not very confident based on what I saw from Mauro coaching yesterday.  Not only were there limited to no change in tactics from this year’s NL, the players energy gave me the impression they didn’t get up for playing under him.

Watching the Nations League its pretty obvious to me after the top 3 teams in Concacaf there is a pretty steep drop in quality. The one interesting thing is from Costar Rica to just say maybe the 10th team has turned in to a bit of a log jam.

Edited by SpursFlu

14 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Why are we guaranteed 3rd place? It says it is based on the October rankings which haven't come out yet.

Because the gap between 2nd Place and 3rd place and the gap between 3rd place and the 4th seeded team (Costa Rica) are too big to close between the previous ranking release and what will be the October rankings

https://www.concacaf.com/rankings/men-s-national-team/

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

8 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

From that document I believe:

"12.7.1. The top four (4) teams in the ranking have been pre-seeded in the Quarterfinals matchups, using the Concacaf Rankings after the International Window of October 2023 as follows:
• Quarterfinal 1: 4th Ranked PMA
• Quarterfinal 2: 3rd Ranked PMA
• Quarterfinal 3: 2nd Ranked PMA
• Quarterfinal 4: 1st Ranked PMA

12.7.2. The four (4) teams that advance from the Group Stage to the League A Quarterfinals will be ranked based on their performance in the Group Stage according to section 12.4, and distributed in the Quarterfinals as follows:
• Quarterfinal 1: 4th Ranked PMA vs Best 1st Place (1A/1B)
• Quarterfinal 2: 3rd Ranked PMA vs Next 1st Place (1A/1B)
• Quarterfinal 3: 2nd Ranked PMA vs Best 2nd Place (2A/2B)
• Quarterfinal 4: 1st Ranked PMA vs Next 2nd Place"

So as of now it’s Jamaica, right? Ah, too much thinking, I’ll just wait till they tell me where I gotta go to watch the Canada boys 

11 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

You aren't exactly wrong, just off by a year. The 2022-23 Nations League didn't have any relegations. In 2022-23 there were 12 teams in League A (4 groups of 3), 16 teams in League B (4 groups of 4), and 13 teams in League C (3 groups of 3 and 1 group of 4). Then they promoted 4 teams from C into B and 4 teams from B into A, making the 2023-24 Nations League have 16 teams in League A (2 groups of 6 plus the 4 seeded teams in the QF), still 16 teams in League B, and 9 teams in League C (3 groups of 3).

2 hours ago, patstew19 said:

So as of now it’s Jamaica, right? Ah, too much thinking, I’ll just wait till they tell me where I gotta go to watch the Canada boys 

Yeah, if it was all done now, it would be Jamaica. But I believe there is still a chance it could be any one of Jamaica, Cuba, Honduras, T&T, Panama, or Martinique.

15 hours ago, narduch said:

I like the scenario where Jamaica loses to Haiti and Cuba beats Honduras and wins the group.

I like that as well. Jamaica losing to Haiti and Honduras defeating Cuba would also work (if the goal is a scenario where Jamaica doesn't win the group). I think Honduras would get the nod for first on goal difference.