CONCACAF Nations League 2023/2024 - Group Stage & ¼finals - General Thread

2 hours ago, Shway said:

I hope the game is on the 19th mid day.

https://www.concacaf.com/nations-league/news/concacaf-announces-schedule-for-2023-24-concacaf-nations-league-presented-by-qatar-airways/

Implies this won't happen.

Two quarterfinals on Monday night. Two on the Tuesday night.

Since the USA is doing the Thursday-Monday schedule (in reverse, likely due to not wanting to host during the week of USA Thanksgiving), and Costa Rica and Mexico haven't announced anything, it seems there is a ⅓ chance we play on Monday night and  ⅔ chance we play on the Tuesday night.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Cuba look to be getting a good team. Skimming thru their roster they seem to be expats or defectors playing abroad. Solid team of professionals

Greased out a 0-0 draw against Honduras. That’s good, makes the chances of having to go see Canada in Honduras less likely 

2 minutes ago, patstew19 said:

Greased out a 0-0 draw against Honduras. That’s good, makes the chances of having to go see Canada in Honduras less likely 

Cuba had a real chance to score in the 45th minute too!

39 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Extra hopeful we draw T&T and not Jamaica now.

We will see if T & T's good run of form can continue tonight.

10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Cuba look to be getting a good team. Skimming thru their roster they seem to be expats or defectors playing abroad. Solid team of professionals

I've been thinking the same thing. People clowned us for struggling against them, but they had some respectable showings prior to Gold Cup, including playing Chile and Uruguay away and only conceeding 5 combined goals. That's a massive improvement for a team like Cuba. They've gotten better for sure, people just haven't realised it yet. 

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, patstew19 said:

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I've been thinking the same thing. People clowned us for struggling against them, but they had some respectable showings prior to Gold Cup, including playing Chile and Uruguay away and only conceeding 5 combined goals. That's a massive improvement for a team like Cuba. They've gotten better for sure, people just haven't realised it yet. 

I'm surprised we aren't seeing any of the Cubans in the CPL getting call-ups, especially since we have much better relations with the country. If the defectors in the US are getting calls, it would be easy to surmise that the ones in Canada should too.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I'm surprised we aren't seeing any of the Cubans in the CPL getting call-ups, especially since we have much better relations with the country. If the defectors in the US are getting calls, it would be easy to surmise that the ones in Canada should too.

The ones getting calls that are playing their club footy in the USA never abandoned the team; they were already US based.

A more apt phrasing would be "foreign-based" or perhaps "expats" as @SpursFlu said.

Those who actually defect never get called again.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The ones getting calls that are playing their club footy in the USA never abandoned the team; they were already US based.

A more apt phrasing would be "foreign-based" or perhaps "expats" as @SpursFlu said.

Those who actually defect never get called again.

Oh that changes things then. I thought Corrales had defected but that's not the case.