CONCACAF Nations League Finals 2023 - General Thread - June 15th & 18th

35 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Sure didn't sound like it was their home country when the US squad entered the stadium.  I don't normally cheer for the USA but very disrespectful for the Mexican American fans to boo the US team. I hope they beat up on Mexico. And yes I too want to meet the US in the final.

At the stadium, I found it odd when the Mexican-Americans didn’t know the Mexican national anthem, sang loudly the American anthem, then proceeded to boo the US team. I’m sure this sort of thing happens in Canada too, but it was interesting to see with my own eyes. 

1 minute ago, maplebanana said:

At the stadium, I found it odd when the Mexican-Americans didn’t know the Mexican national anthem, sang loudly the American anthem, then proceeded to boo the US team. I’m sure this sort of thing happens in Canada too, but it was interesting to see with my own eyes. 

That soo weird!

The game was already 3-0 and essentially over, but I like that the fans with their inability to understand that actions have consequences made the official game losing play. Technically Mexico could have had a miracle comeback, but the game ended early because of stupid fans.

5 minutes ago, GasPed said:

But what are you supposed to do?  Deny them entry if they're wearing the tricolour or speaking Spanish?

Yeah, it's super complicated since they are actually Americans. Probably what needs to be done is all Mexican games in USA are played with no fans at all, as if it was a proper home game. If Mexico is playing USA, maybe they (I know this is unfair to American fans) limit the sales to only USA supporter group members or something.

But yeah, it's a crazy mess. The thing I would most like to see is USA losing their eternal hosting rights. Play the next Gold Cup (2025, obviously it's too late to change 2023) in Central America and the next Nations League finals in Canada.

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yeah, it's super complicated since they are actually Americans. Probably what needs to be done is all Mexican games in USA are played with no fans at all, as if it was a proper home game. If Mexico is playing USA, maybe they (I know this is unfair to American fans) limit the sales to only USA supporter group members or something.

But yeah, it's a crazy mess. The thing I would most like to see is USA losing their eternal hosting rights. Play the next Gold Cup (2025, obviously it's too late to change 2023) in Central America and the next Nations League finals in Canada.

the chant by Mexican fans upsets me zero. both today and historically.

to me, it has nothing to do with red-zone homophobia concerns, and everything to do with a misguided but innocent tradition.  

and trying to turn it into a Canada advantage, by turning it into a USA disadvantage via Mexico fans in the USA?  Well, you might make a good lawyer, and a poor human being.