Just from 1 match each today:

Canada: Zero cards
Panama: 1 red, 3 yellows
USA: 2 reds, 4 yellows
Mexico: 2 reds, 5 yellows

Is there a fair play points award among the final 4? 😂

Ya knowing CONCACAF they will award it to the Americans

6 hours ago, eramosat said:

the chant by Mexican fans upsets me zero. both today and historically.

to me, it has nothing to do with red-zone homophobia concerns, and everything to do with a misguided but innocent tradition.  

and trying to turn it into a Canada advantage, by turning it into a USA disadvantage via Mexico fans in the USA?  Well, you might make a good lawyer, and a poor human being.

I am not a Spanish speaker, so I don't know or care if the chant is actually homophobic or not. The thing that bothers me is that it has become disruptive. Games are being stopped, constant warnings after warnings and the behaviour hasn't gotten better at all. It makes the game become a side show and I want the game to be about the game.

As for interpreting my proposal of giving other countries a chance to host continental competitions as a "USA disadvantage"? Hahahaha. It's not a disadvantage for the USA. It's a lack of an advantage for USA for the first time since the 1993 Gold Cup final. It's also a lack of an advantage for Mexico.

7 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

A lot of people blaming Mexican fans, even want to see Mexico sanctioned for this mess. But let's not forget that nearly everyone in the stadium is an American resident, most American citizens, in an American city spending American dollars. The entire moneymaking edifice CONCACAF has built up on the men's side is hosting every important tournament in the USA to make money off of Central Americans and especially Mexicans living in the USA while turning a blind eye to this sort of thing. An unserious confederation that has simply been asking for these sorts of problems. 

Even some of the problems on the pitch seemed to start from petulant American players, frustrated by a lack of home fans, winding up the Mexican support at every opportunity. 

15 minutes ago, narduch said:

So with Mexico not making the final does that mean we will play in a half empty stadium on Sunday?

Will Mexican fans care to watch a 3rd place match?

If I were to guess, yes and yes.  The question should be would the Mexican fans stay to cheer us on against their bitter rivals.  There were a lot of “Canada Canada” chants at the end of the game but that doesn’t translate to them wanting to stay on after their game is over.

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Were they fighting each other? Just amongst the Mexican fans?

It looks it from the video, but I wasn't there at the stadium so I can't really say.

Although I did hear a rumour that this particular fight started when someone suggested that the real problem with the Mexican team was that, unlike the Americans and Canadians, their team wasn't doing "Pay Equity", and someone shouting "Puto" misheard the comment and thought they said "Gay Equity", which enraged him and caused the fight.

Edited by Gian-Luca

21 minutes ago, narduch said:

So with Mexico not making the final does that mean we will play in a half empty stadium on Sunday?

Will Mexican fans care to watch a 3rd place match?

American fans turned out well for the US/Canada game in Nashville (think it was sold out).  

Just now, trc2014 said:

American fans turned out well for the US/Canada game in Nashville (think it was sold out).  

But they had months advance warning for that and it was a WCQ

Will Mexicans dump their tickets and American fans scoop them up with just days notice?

39 minutes ago, jonovision said:

A lot of people blaming Mexican fans, even want to see Mexico sanctioned for this mess. But let's not forget that nearly everyone in the stadium is an American resident, most American citizens, in an American city spending American dollars. The entire moneymaking edifice CONCACAF has built up on the men's side is hosting every important tournament in the USA to make money off of Central Americans and especially Mexicans living in the USA while turning a blind eye to this sort of thing. An unserious confederation that has simply been asking for these sorts of problems. 

Even some of the problems on the pitch seemed to start from petulant American players, frustrated by a lack of home fans, winding up the Mexican support at every opportunity. 

Does it really matter where the fans reside? If a bunch of canadian fans/nationals living in america were being idiots, Canada should be responsible. 

Its absolute nonsense to blame the american players. Theres clearly a line to intensity and fair play. The mexicans went to injure balogun. They were pushing dest around several times before he reacted. Is McKennie the problem cause he kissed the badge? Absolutely not. The mexicans were dirty. Simple as that. 

5 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Does it really matter where the fans reside? If a bunch of canadian fans/nationals living in america were being idiots, Canada should be responsible. 

Its absolute nonsense to blame the american players. Theres clearly a line to intensity and fair play. The mexicans went to injure balogun. They were pushing dest around several times before he reacted. Is McKennie the problem cause he kissed the badge? Absolutely not. The mexicans were dirty. Simple as that. 

Not that simple, and then there's this: the organizer of the match is not Mexico and the fans in the stadium are not travelling fans, as mentioned. 

If you have been in a stadium with Mexican fans the vast majority are very good natured and friendly and they don't even follow the team that intensely, at least not what I've seen in the States. They know its problems, they are harsher with themselves than with the rival. They are casual expats mostly, there for a family outing.

Anyways, the organizer is responsible for fan behaviour, unless it can be shown a group of fans travelled for the match. If anything were to happen with the Voyageurs there, since there is a CSA arrangement with us, the CSA could be liable. But not with the Mexicans here.

41 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not that simple, and then there's this: the organizer of the match is not Mexico and the fans in the stadium are not travelling fans, as mentioned. 

If you have been in a stadium with Mexican fans the vast majority are very good natured and friendly and they don't even follow the team that intensely, at least not what I've seen in the States. They know its problems, they are harsher with themselves than with the rival. They are casual expats mostly, there for a family outing.

Anyways, the organizer is responsible for fan behaviour, unless it can be shown a group of fans travelled for the match. If anything were to happen with the Voyageurs there, since there is a CSA arrangement with us, the CSA could be liable. But not with the Mexicans here.

The simple part is that the mexican players were the ones who clearly started both brawls and came in with intent to injure. Yes the americans have responsibility in the whole ordeal with their reactions but to blame the americans for balogun getting kicked is absurd. 

As for the fans - Away fans are held liable everywhere. In most countries you need fan cards and the away supporters are sectioned off. You can certainly talk about how difficult it would be to identify the groups of fans that are travelling vs locals but surely at some point you can look at the common denominator. Every game mexico is part of, theres the chant. It happened in edmonton as well. 

Although the venue is responsible for fans actions currently, is that a comprehensive solution? Lets fine the stadium in vegas for homophobic slurs...... That would be absurd. Thats the whole challenge right now. The current system is not working. At some point concacaf has to say that mexico is responsible for their fans behavior whether its home or away.

Why does it matter if a mexican supporter is from mexico, USA, argentina or japan. Are we saying that mexicos fans can only be punished if they are living in mexico or are mexican? Thats absurd. Fans are fans regardless of location and nationality. To suggest that there should only be punishment if the fans dont travel will result in this behaviour continuing. 

It is almost as if youre implying that the mexican fans are mexicans living in america and therefore cannot be held responsible for their behavior. 

Edited by Bigandy

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Seemed like in Qatar a third of the fans were American, a third were Mexican and a third seemingly were Mexican American.