CONCACAF Nations League Finals 2023 - General Thread - June 15th & 18th

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So they'll move existing purchases to other equivalent seats and the whole section will be ours?

Very well done as usual guys.

How many seats is that, can you say?

That is the theory but I still don’t know if it will be the entire section or only a part so don’t know how many seats. But even only the top 3rd of the section is over 250 seats.  

We pretty much know who has bought in 142 that is in the Voyageurs population and if they get moved out of 142, we will work to get them moved back in.  

21 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

That is the theory but I still don’t know if it will be the entire section or only a part so don’t know how many seats. But even only the top 3rd of the section is over 250 seats.  

We pretty much know who has bought in 142 that is in the Voyageurs population and if they get moved out of 142, we will work to get them moved back in.  

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Less than a month and a half away at this point.  What are we actually looking at for a starting 11 for both games. 

I am not including players that are currently injured but we are two games (in theory one tough one) from winning something so maybe they make it back. 

Also feel free to point out any claring omissions.

Options at keeper - Red Star have been absolutely walking their league so Borjan is could even take a break this month. , St. Clair is the keeper of choice in Minnesota.

(Save McGill for a cheeky cynical cup-tied in the Gold Cup?😉.  Also Sirois there as well. )

RB/RWB - Probably Laryea - some new options emerging but he will be playing but not overplayed.

CBs - Vitoria - especially if this is probably his best last chance to win something with us. Miller and .... Hiebert is right-footed I believe.  Harsh on Cornelius again but he is the heir-apparent in the centre and in his season. 

LB/LWB - Has to be Adekugbe.  Maybe misses the Gold Cup depending on transfer/European qualifying situation but knows the team, is healthy and playing at a high level. So use him up in June. 

Centre mids - Eustaquio -  a lock. good but not overwhelming minutes at a high level. Kone and Osorio.

Wingers when needed, Millar and Hoilett, one would need to be off cutting in probably Hoilett. 

David and Larin can at least be in for two weeks in June.  

442 (4231) the first game, 3511 the second. 

Edit: I looked and Sweden has a decent break in June, so probably Cornelius at least in the first game. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I think it's easier to predict 16 players, as those are the most that could be used in a given game. 
So I'll say based on health today.

GK: Borjan
DF: Johnston, Vitoria, Cornelius(Kennedy)
MF: Laryea, Eustaqiuo, Kone (Kaye), Osorio (Hoilett), Davies (Adekugbe)
FW: David, Larin (Brym)

We will most likely play 3-5-2 against Panama. 
And if we make the final it changes to the revolving 4231.

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

I think it's easier to predict 16 players, as those are the most that could be used in a given game. 
So I'll say based on health today.

GK: Borjan
DF: Johnston, Vitoria, Cornelius(Kennedy)
MF: Laryea, Eustaqiuo, Kone (Kaye), Osorio (Hoilett), Davies (Adekugbe)
FW: David, Larin (Brym)

We will most likely play 3-5-2 against Panama. 
And if we make the final it changes to the revolving 4231.

Oso, Johnston and davies are all injured atm. Id imagine this changes the lineup significantly. Without johnston, i dont think we play 3 atb for both nations league and GC. 
Without Oso, I dont think we play 3 in the middle. 

4-4-2 

Borjan
Laryea Vitoria Miller Adekugbe
Hoilett Kone Staq Buchanan
David Larin

Cornelius, Kaye, Brym, Kennedy, Millar, Lutori

30 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Oso, Johnston and davies are all injured atm. Id imagine this changes the lineup significantly. Without johnston, i dont think we play 3 atb for both nations league and GC. 
Without Oso, I dont think we play 3 in the middle. 

4-4-2 

Borjan
Laryea Vitoria Miller Adekugbe
Hoilett Kone Staq Buchanan
David Larin

Cornelius, Kaye, Brym, Kennedy, Millar, Lutori

I think against good teams Vitoria and Miller both have individual liabilities in a pair but can form 2/3s of a really good trio.  

Hence my 3-5-2 for the final. 

It is true that 3 at back requires guys that are smart and know the system well. 

Is Osorio's injury serious?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I think against good teams Vitoria and Miller both have individual liabilities in a pair but can form 2/3s of a really good trio.  

It is true that 3 at back requires guys that are smart and know the system well. 

MCL sprain.  Bradley says not near as bad as first feared when it happened (in training).

59 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I would agree about Vitoria and miller, but who goes RCB without Johnston. Zator couldve been used last window but kennedy on his wrong side was picked. He could have come on for kennedy the next game but we shuffled our back line to put heibert on instead. So zator isnt trusted yet. Same could be said of heibert and waterman. So do we go with a left footed RCB for all of nations and the gold cup? I doubt it.  

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

I would agree about Vitoria and miller, but who goes RCB without Johnston. Zator couldve been used last window but kennedy on his wrong side was picked. He could have come on for kennedy the next game but we shuffled our back line to put heibert on instead. So zator isnt trusted yet. Same could be said of heibert and waterman. So do we go with a left footed RCB for all of nations and the gold cup? I doubt it.  

It is a tough call.  I know I have seen and have not liked in any way, one slow and one shorter guy in a 2. 

And we played 3 at the back in every game this year (sample size I know😉).

Waterman does have experience playing the 3 at the back system.  Up to the last couple games this year that experience has been shambolic.  From highlights to be fair. Two clean sheets recently though I see. 

Throwing Heibert in there pretty cold is probably not smart. But he is right footed. He is probably having the best MLS season so far. 

Maybe pick a guy - either new or off-foot -  and hope by the end of the window they have formed a unit.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It is a tough call.  I know I have seen and have not liked in any way, one slow and one shorter guy in a 2. 

And we played 3 at the back in every game this year (sample size I know😉).

Waterman does have experience playing the 3 at the back system.  Up to the last couple games this year that experience has been shambolic.  From highlights to be fair. Two clean sheets recently though I see. 

Throwing Heibert in there pretty cold is probably not smart. But he is right footed. He is probably having the best MLS season so far. 

Maybe pick a guy - either new or off-foot -  and hope by the end of the window they have formed a unit.

Surely we are at a place where we are better than "hoping" things work out. Using 4 atb has worked against mexico and the USA. 

We may be without davies and buchanan who are 2 of our best players and best wingbacks. Without them, we lose alot of attacking thrust that we get in a 3-5-2. If we go with a 3-5-2 We are not getting our 11 best players on the field. Watermans last appearance in a friendly was horrible and whos to say that any of our new guys would not be overwhelmed by the occasion and also have a stinker against a much better team than bahrain. So I don't think any right footed CB's would be a good option. 

We could play kennedy or cornelius on their weak foot but that would be a real lack of balance. Again it feels odd to try and force a system with weaker players than it would be to play our best 11. 

I think its either kennedy as RCB or a back 4. 

Edit: I think its a matter of tactics vs personal. We know the strengths and weakness of a back 4 vs 3. 3atb suits us better with a full squad. The big question is does having a poorer quality choice at RCB make the pros of a back 4 stronger? 

Edited by Bigandy

• 2 weeks later...