CNL: Curaçao vs Canada - Saturday, March 25th, 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Willemstad, Curaçao

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Given they have been pretty consistent about not tossing out Caps (even in safe circumstances) I suspect it is a cultural thing.  They want everyone to know that you don’t get on the field unless you earn your way onto it.  No garbage minutes in safe games, no strategic cap ties - we play the guys who will do the job all of the time. 

100% speculation but it tracks given how often we are scratching our collective heads about some guys not getting on the field.  

I hear what you are saying (and I hate to say this again as I want him to prove me wrong) but then Brym should not be seeing the pitch again. He appears to have some physical attributes that I can see why Herdman would want him to take the next step, but he just doesn’t look (to me anyway) like he has the anywhere near the ability or decision making to be in this team. 

1 minute ago, maccaliam said:

I hear what you are saying (and I hate to say this again as I want him to prove me wrong) but then Brym should not be seeing the pitch again. He appears to have some physical attributes that I can see why Herdman would want him to take the next step, but he just doesn’t look (to me anyway) like he has the anywhere near the ability or decision making to be in this team. 

I don’t disagree - but the coaching staff clearly see something in him.  There is no way around the fact that they see him as a member of the overall squad.  So it is at least consistent with what I am saying - even if we question why he is there.  

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t disagree - but the coaching staff clearly see something in him.  There is no way around the fact that they see him as a member of the overall squad.  So it is at least consistent with what I am saying - even if we question why he is there.  

That’s a fair point. And I genuinely want him to show something that makes me understand, but I just don’t get it. 

Happy we took the three points, especially away. Was a comfortable win.

Like others, I'm glad Cornelius and Kennedy got a chance. They really needed the minutes for Canada, and Cornelius has been in form for Malmo. Very impressed with how he's turned things around. Looked solid. 

David, Larin, Stack, Davies were all great. What a pass from Laryea as well. Also, liked the save from Borjan. I know it was right at him, but he positioned himself well and didn't give up the rebound. With a less experienced goalie, that could have been a mess. 

Now that we've dusted off those cobwebs, it's time for a quality performance and win at home. The boys are fully capable. 

7 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Is the semi-final bracket already predetermined in Nations League? Somehow can’t find it. 

EDIT:

I was rummaging around on Wikipedia and I think the 4 group winners get re-seeded somehow then it becomes 1 Vs 4, 2 Vs 3.

This table for a second made it look like the groups were already seeded but I think it’s just a placeholder table.

526ED5F4-5423-4E7D-AD40-7BC7470DE059.thumb.jpeg.3111322e8a05a03b3b1b171d36afb05c.jpeg

Edited by grigorio

2 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

That would be unbelievable. 

Ya it’s probably too good to be true. I now think group winners get re-seeded. Cause of that stupid loss in Honduras we’re currently the lowest 1st place team so we have to beat Honduras and hope for ES or Jamaica to pull a miracle off or a Panama/CR draw to get out of the 4th seed. 

3 minutes ago, grigorio said:

Ya it’s probably too good to be true. I now think group winners get re-seeded. Cause of that stupid loss in Honduras we’re currently the lowest 1st place team so we have to beat Honduras and hope for ES or Jamaica to pull a miracle off or a Panama/CR draw to get out of the 4th seed. 

Not much difference between 3/4 if it’s against the USA or Mexico. 

1 am observations:

- professional efficient performance without being spectacular.  2-0 was the right score line based on play.
- pitch was as bad as I thought and even worse when talking to Alistair Johnston about how he would be worried about tackling someone on it

- speaking of AJ, was really happy to see the turnout of Canadians at the game; about 15 Vs and the rest were enthusiastic Canadians vacationing there or expats.  He spent the entire HT in our section.

- kudos to the Curacao federation.  Treated the visiting fans so unbelievably well and got us the best seats in the house for a regular price.  And the Curacao supporters were extremely friendly as well.  Even gave my Vs scarf to a young Curacao kid - he was so happy and gave me a hug.  That’s how you treat away supporters.

24 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

Group winners are ranked 1-4 by total points. 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3. If tied on total points, goal difference is the first tiebreaker, greatest number of goals scored is the second.

screenshot_20230326_013145.jpg

So assuming we handle our own business, our fate is going to ride on Costa Rica (6 pts, +1 GD) vs Panama (7 pts, +7 GD). If the result goes Panama's way, we'll likely get the USA and if Costa Rica wins, we'll likely get Mexico