Promise Oluwatobi Emmanuel Akinpelu (Promise David)

Big_M

50 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Potential embarrassment of riches, sure, but this list includes only two players who have been consistent scorers for Canada, and one of those is one of the most complained-about players in the squad. 

It only includes 2 consistent scorers because the others are emerging players.  We're past the Copa and in to friendlies for the next while.  If Larin isn't getting the job done in Spain, his starting spot is very much up for real debate now with the NT.  It's time for a bit more experimentation, to use that are performing for their clubs and not just historical-performance for Canada.  This isn't the "house cleaning" we needed during qualifying for the Copa, but everyone should be feeling the pressure to perform heading towards 2026.

8 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It only includes 2 consistent scorers because the others are emerging players.  We're past the Copa and in to friendlies for the next while.  If Larin isn't getting the job done in Spain, his starting spot is very much up for real debate now with the NT.  It's time for a bit more experimentation, to use that are performing for their clubs and not just historical-performance for Canada.  This isn't the "house cleaning" we needed during qualifying for the Copa, but everyone should be feeling the pressure to perform heading towards 2026.

Even with their clubs few of those are established players. I agree the pressure to perform needs to be there, but all of those guys have a lot of work to do to put pressure on David or Larin.

12 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Even with their clubs few of those are established players. I agree the pressure to perform needs to be there, but all of those guys have a lot of work to do to put pressure on David or Larin.

I don't think David's under any pressure.  I think Larin is.

I've said this before but with strikers it's  all about club form, assuming the player is at a decent league level. We need to select strikers who are in form. Confidence and timing is so important for goal scorers in particular when the opponent is at a high level as in Copa. David has been consistent at club level over the past 6 seasons but Larin has been up & down. 

Promise David 🇨🇦 vs Westerlo 🇧🇪

45 Minutes

️ 1 Goal

🔥 5 Shots (2 Big Chances)

🦶 24 Touches

🎯 5/10 Passes (50%)

↗️ 1/1 Long Pass (100%) 

💨 1/3 Dribble (33%)

1 Ball Loss

️ 3 Recoveries

🥊 1/5 Ground Duel (20%)

☁️ 1/5 Aerial Duel (20%)

🚫 1 Fault

Screenshot_20240811_175505_Instagram.thumb.jpg.43b908696b045a64a8394273a3517e64.jpg

On 8/11/2024 at 3:57 PM, ahmedou said:

Promise David 🇨🇦 vs Westerlo 🇧🇪

45 Minutes

️ 1 Goal

🔥 5 Shots (2 Big Chances)

🦶 24 Touches

🎯 5/10 Passes (50%)

↗️ 1/1 Long Pass (100%) 

💨 1/3 Dribble (33%)

1 Ball Loss

️ 3 Recoveries

🥊 1/5 Ground Duel (20%)

☁️ 1/5 Aerial Duel (20%)

🚫 1 Fault

Screenshot_20240811_175505_Instagram.thumb.jpg.43b908696b045a64a8394273a3517e64.jpg

Goal or assist?

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Goal or assist?

I posted the highlight video, he scored in injury time, a teammate crossed in a ball where another teammate knocked it back into the 6 yard box where Promise scored. He also scored at the 2:58 minute mark of the video but Fuseini touched the ball that was already going in, taking credit for something he should have left alone. 

I think we have another new call up for the fall IMO. 

Edited by Macksam

I watched most of the game, had some great moments that showed why he was brought in. USG are gonna be worse than they were last year probably by the look of how they’re playing, but still competitive in the first division. Big thing for Promise is to learn how to conserve his energy better. In the first half he was constantly running, never resting and he couldn’t make big sprints really because of it. Second half he calmed down, but because of his eagerness to run he ended up in bad positions in buildup a lot. Multiple times he ended up in the space of a defensive midfielder when they had possession, and then he wasn’t able to get into the box where he’s really dangerous when the ball went forward (like 30m from the goal when crosses came in). Can’t believe I’m saying this about a player, but he’s working too hard at certain things. Second half he had a great run down the line and a sharp cross that no one ran onto, and a good header that hit the crossbar in the first half, so potential is clear. Just needs to clean some things up in the next couple of years and improve his touch as much as possible and he’ll be very solid. Also got a wee bit hot-headed at the end with getting a yellow card, but who doesn’t like a little fire in a players personality.

26 minutes ago, AnonymousInsider said:

I watched most of the game, had some great moments that showed why he was brought in. USG are gonna be worse than they were last year probably by the look of how they’re playing, but still competitive in the first division. Big thing for Promise is to learn how to conserve his energy better. In the first half he was constantly running, never resting and he couldn’t make big sprints really because of it. Second half he calmed down, but because of his eagerness to run he ended up in bad positions in buildup a lot. Multiple times he ended up in the space of a defensive midfielder when they had possession, and then he wasn’t able to get into the box where he’s really dangerous when the ball went forward (like 30m from the goal when crosses came in). Can’t believe I’m saying this about a player, but he’s working too hard at certain things. Second half he had a great run down the line and a sharp cross that no one ran onto, and a good header that hit the crossbar in the first half, so potential is clear. Just needs to clean some things up in the next couple of years and improve his touch as much as possible and he’ll be very solid. Also got a wee bit hot-headed at the end with getting a yellow card, but who doesn’t like a little fire in a players personality.

Great analysis, thanks. 

No question that a player can try to do too much, run too much, appear in too many places. When you go into a team with a higher threshold and more talent, you have to learn to play your role and not intrude on others, no question. Hold tight. That is positional maturity, and it is also an understanding of how you are part of a team and are not going to be doing it all alone.

I've criticized Eustaquio for over-running, for offering himself too much in the middle; it is all about learning that just because you don't get the ball, or are not used, does not mean you are not a useful player on the field. A player sticking his head up all over the place is often now where he should be in the moment he's really needed. 

48 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Great analysis, thanks. 

No question that a player can try to do too much, run too much, appear in too many places. When you go into a team with a higher threshold and more talent, you have to learn to play your role and not intrude on others, no question. Hold tight. That is positional maturity, and it is also an understanding of how you are part of a team and are not going to be doing it all alone.

I've criticized Eustaquio for over-running, for offering himself too much in the middle; it is all about learning that just because you don't get the ball, or are not used, does not mean you are not a useful player on the field. A player sticking his head up all over the place is often now where he should be in the moment he's really needed. 

It's the gift and the curse with Eustaquio. He always tries to assert himself and be "the guy" in the midfield, which is obviously great, but I think the side effect is what you are describing, trying to be Mr. Everything.

You're right, he needs a certain kind of maturity to find the sweet spot. Maybe this is the year we see it with Porto...

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Dennis Ayensa was loaned to Standard Liege today. This should create alot more playing time for David. In 3 of David's 5 appearances he came on as a sub for him. The transfer deadline in Belgium closed today so there shouldn't be any new competition for spots coming in.

RUSG just brought in Ivanovic for 4 million euros, another striker. He came on instead of David as a sub last game.