Promise Oluwatobi Emmanuel Akinpelu (Promise David)

Big_M

9 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

Didn't realize he had already played for Nigeria. 😔

I'm not sure that he has... His wiki page says he played Tanzania and scored in their U23 AFCON qualifier, but the Nigeria U23 wiki doesn't show him on their player list. They also have Success Makanjuola as the goal scorer (found articles stating this as well). His transfermarkt page shows him as a U23 Nigeria player, but with no caps. Not sure whether he was even called up, and if he was, it doesn't seem like he actually played. Regardless, Nigeria have a pretty loaded striker pool so I wouldn't expect him to make that jump any time soon if he is even interested in representing them.

Edit: I did find that they did invite him. Someone actually linked it in the first page of this thread. Still not sure if he actually played though.

https://eaglestrackerng.com/en-ca/blogs/transfer-news/18-players-make-dream-team-squad-for-tanzania

Edited by archer21

14 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I'm not sure that he has... His wiki page says he played Tanzania and scored in their U23 AFCON qualifier, but the Nigeria U23 wiki doesn't show him on their player list. They also have Success Makanjuola as the goal scorer (found articles stating this as well). His transfermarkt page shows him as a U23 Nigeria player, but with no caps. Not sure whether he was even called up, and if he was, it doesn't seem like he actually played. Regardless, Nigeria have a pretty loaded striker pool so I wouldn't expect him to make that jump any time soon if he is even interested in representing them.

Edit: I did find that they did invite him. Someone actually linked it in the first page of this thread. Still not sure if he actually played though.

https://eaglestrackerng.com/en-ca/blogs/transfer-news/18-players-make-dream-team-squad-for-tanzania

The citation on his wiki regarding scoring on his debut is a tweet that has a 30 second interview with him. It looks like he played, but it's pretty clear he didn't score.

13 hours ago, archer21 said:

Would just mean he'd have to file a one time switch to play for Canada.

He's far away from both national teams at the moment, but things could change quickly if he starts scoring goals. It could be a matter of which program reacts faster if the goals start flowing.

5 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

So glad we have another guy performing well in a good league but why does it have to be another striker😭

I know! Seems crazy to complain about it, but a potential embarrassment of riches up front: J. David, Larin, Ugbo, Akipelu, Oluwaseyi, JRR, Jebbison (hopefully)

1 hour ago, jdheid said:

I know! Seems crazy to complain about it, but a potential embarrassment of riches up front: J. David, Larin, Ugbo, Akipelu, Oluwaseyi, JRR, Jebbison (hopefully)

Potential embarrassment of riches, sure, but this list includes only two players who have been consistent scorers for Canada, and one of those is one of the most complained-about players in the squad.