Promise Oluwatobi Emmanuel Akinpelu (Promise David)

Big_M

23 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Am I alone in thinking that I’ll judge him once he’s scoring in Belgium in the season ?

100% fair.

Does look like he will get every opportunity though to showcase himself.

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

He is a big lad. Not just in height but  packed. It's now 1-2 at 83'  for Royale. His touch has been a bit heavy.

His step is looking really heavy too. Just started watching. I imagine he's fast once he gets going, but not the most agile.

Edited by AnonymousInsider

Watching him for the 1st time in the Belgian Super cup, he certainly is an imposing figure at the top. He made good runs to get into scoring position. He also has some speed, beating the man down the right side and then putting a nice cross which could have been a goal had the receiving player had a better finish. Seemed to get a little tired even in the 20 min or so. He didn't look out of place though against the league champions Club Brugge. 

Striker position is looking better and better for us and dare I say we are becoming stacked in this position. 

And now he's a Super Cup Champion..USG win 2-1

2 minutes ago, pod818 said:

Watching him for the 1st time in the Belgian Super cup, he certainly is an imposing figure at the top. He made good runs to get into scoring position. He also has some speed, beating the man down the right side and then putting a nice cross which could have been a goal had the receiving player had a better finish. Seemed to get a little tired even in the 20 min or so. He didn't look out of place though against the league champions Club Brugge. 

Striker position is looking better and better for us and dare I say we are becoming stacked in this position. 

And now he's a Super Cup Champion..USG win 2-1

First European trophy of the season for a Canadian 😊

2 hours ago, pod818 said:

Whoa! there Nellie. In the last 8 games we scored 3 goals. These up-and-coming strikers haven't proven to be as good as David. All these strikers provide are options. What kind of options? Not as good as David options. Did it ever occur to you that David may be the best striker we'll produce for the next 10-15-20 years? Promise David is 23. Don't forget what MArsch said. Finding players at 22-23-24 is almost too late. We're not stacked at strikers. The last 8 games should have shown us that.

His fitness isn't quite there yet but with the resources of a club like USG, from training facilities to nutritionists and personal trainers, he should be in much better shape in a couple of months.  I thought his touch was also off on a few balls given what he's shown from his past teams but Brugge is miles above any other team he's played against. Still amazing that he was given important minutes to kill off a game given the jump in leagues. 

16 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Whoa! there Nellie. In the last 8 games we scored 3 goals. These up-and-coming strikers haven't proven to be as good as David. All these strikers provide are options. What kind of options? Not as good as David options. Did it ever occur to you that David may be the best striker we'll produce for the next 10-15-20 years? Promise David is 23. Don't forget what MArsch said. Finding players at 22-23-24 is almost too late. We're not stacked at strikers. The last 8 games should have shown us that.

I think aside from J David, we’re “stacked” with mediocre strikers, 4-5 of which are at about the same level. Some of these strikers have great physical profiles, but none have technique comparable to David. I think a player with both those things combined is the biggest thing missing from this attack. Imagine if we had a guy like Guirassy even, won’t say a really big name like Osimhen or Vlahovic. Someone who’s a great finisher, solid athlete, and a presence in the box who we can rely on to link the play. Not necessarily world class, but a borderline elite striker of that type. Right now a lot of these guys (P David, Oluwaseyi, Bair, JRR, Ugbo) have some of these, but none have the full package. I think that’ll fully unlock our attack. Someone to remain high up the field and fight with centre backs to give J David the freedom to roam around and find spaces freely on offense. Also means we’ll have someone who can free themselves for the great crosses that come from our wide players. I would even argue the main thing holding us back from being a real top footballing nation for 2026 is either the striker position, or another good midfielder depending on how David is used.

I think folks need to understand the context of claiming we are “stacked”.  I see it more in relation to Canada of yesteryear.  The fact that we are even contemplating how we compare to actual top countries (and then are definitely lacking in comparison) shows how far we have come.  We used to aspire to be as good as Mexico or the US.  Mission accomplished.  Now we have re-upped the expectations.  

We may not be stacked in relation to teams that have multiple world class players in each position, but it is true that we are blessed with riches relative to pretty much any other time in the history of our program.   

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think folks need to understand the context of claiming we are “stacked”.  I see it more in relation to Canada of yesteryear.  The fact that we are even contemplating how we compare to actual top countries (and then are definitely lacking in comparison) shows how far we have come.  We used to aspire to be as good as Mexico or the US.  Mission accomplished.  Now we have re-upped the expectations.  

We may not be stacked in relation to teams that have multiple world class players in each position, but it is true that we are blessed with riches relative to pretty much any other time in the history of our program.   

I remember when our #1 striker was Marcus Haber. Dark times.

31 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

We’re stacked in a CONCACAF context. Panama or Costa Rica are arguably our closest rival outside Mexico/USA and we could call a B team that would have better strikers than them. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

4 hours ago, AnonymousInsider said:

I think aside from J David, we’re “stacked” with mediocre strikers, 4-5 of which are at about the same level. Some of these strikers have great physical profiles, but none have technique comparable to David. I think a player with both those things combined is the biggest thing missing from this attack. Imagine if we had a guy like Guirassy even, won’t say a really big name like Osimhen or Vlahovic. Someone who’s a great finisher, solid athlete, and a presence in the box who we can rely on to link the play. Not necessarily world class, but a borderline elite striker of that type. Right now a lot of these guys (P David, Oluwaseyi, Bair, JRR, Ugbo) have some of these, but none have the full package. I think that’ll fully unlock our attack. Someone to remain high up the field and fight with centre backs to give J David the freedom to roam around and find spaces freely on offense. Also means we’ll have someone who can free themselves for the great crosses that come from our wide players. I would even argue the main thing holding us back from being a real top footballing nation for 2026 is either the striker position, or another good midfielder depending on how David is used.

I think JRR is probably the guy we’re looking for, agree that we have meh strikers behind him.

Jebbison is key to the program, and maybe a Lopez.

Dont think Kerr is that player but we have different profiles off the bench. 

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The "Unattached FC" joke is long dead.  A 15 goal scorer in the SPL played 15 minutes for Canada over an 8 game stretch (all in the final game) and none of us blinked.  David transferring to Belgium is great for him.  But if he doesn't score, he's not getting a call up.

On 7/20/2024 at 1:05 PM, longlugan said:

First European trophy of the season for a Canadian 😊

I'm obviously happy with his move, but I'll confess that I never consider the Super Cups, Charity Shields, etc to be anything more than glorified friendlies.