Promise Oluwatobi Emmanuel Akinpelu (Promise David)

Big_M

I've watched USG a few times over the past couple years, certainly nowhere near enough to make any comments on their current players... but doesn't it seem like the starting striker spots are there for the taking, especially now with Nilsson and Amoura gone? Those guys started 26 and 25 league matches, respectively. They have a new manager but judging by their pre-season, they are sticking with two strikers (I'm going based on how the apps have them lined up but this could easily be wrong). None of their current strikers seem like obvious starters. Would be crazy if he got regular playing time for a top Belgian club after playing in Estonia.

From what it looks like the 2 defenders he split are Diomande and Reis. Reis is 29 and has played over 100 times for Sporting over the last 4 seasons. While Diomande is 20 and is already an Ivory Coast international and one of the most valuable players in all of Portugal. While the keeper is 26 year old that Sporting just paid nearly 5 million for. All this to say none of these guys are scrubs. Even in preseason the fact he could do this is pretty incredible.

27 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

From what it looks like the 2 defenders he split are Diomande and Reis. Reis is 29 and has played over 100 times for Sporting over the last 4 seasons. While Diomande is 20 and is already an Ivory Coast international and one of the most valuable players in all of Portugal. While the keeper is 26 year old that Sporting just paid nearly 5 million for. All this to say none of these guys are scrubs. Even in preseason the fact he could do this is pretty incredible.

You just have to look how disgusted they are with themselves for letting him do that. 

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s easy to say it’s a big leap but he didn’t just play in Estonia - he dominated. He was basically the Haaland of Estonia so I expect he’ll get his chances.  

Who else has come out of the Estonian league to play at this level? Not asking to be a jerk, genuinely interested if anyone knows off hand. A really quick look at the most expensive transfers out of the Estonian league (via Transfermarkt):

Andres Oper Andres Oper
Centre-Forward
21 99/00 Estonia
Aalborg BK Aalborg BK
Denmark Faxe Kondi Liga
€950k
Dmitri Kruglov Dmitri Kruglov
Left-Back
21 05/06 Estonia
Lokomotiv Moscow Loko Moscow
Russia Premier Liga
€600k
Yvan Dibango Yvan Dibango
Left-Back
21 23/24 Cameroon
Kryvbas Kryvyi Rig Kryvbas
Ukraine Premier Liga
€500k
Erik Sorga Erik Sorga
Centre-Forward
20 19/20 Estonia
Loudoun United FC Loudoun United
United States USLC
€450k
Promise David Promise David
Centre-Forward
23 24/25 Canada
Nigeria
Union Saint-Gilloise Union SG
Belgium Jupiler Pro League
€400k
Rauno Sappinen Rauno Sappinen
Centre-Forward
25 21/22 Estonia
Piast Gliwice Piast Gliwice
Poland Ekstraklasa
€400k
Nikita Andreev Nikita Andreev
Centre-Forward
20 09/10 Russia
Estonia
UD Almería B UD Almería B
Spain Spain
€400k
Tarmo Neemelo Tarmo Neemelo
Centre-Forward
24 05/06 Estonia
Helsingborgs IF Helsingborgs IF
Sweden Allsvenskan
€400k
Urmas Rooba Urmas Rooba
Left-Back
21 00/01 Estonia
FC Midtjylland FC Midtjylland
Denmark Faxe Kondi Liga
€275k
Sergei Zenjov Sergei Zenjov
Right Winger
18 07/08 Estonia
Karpaty Lviv Karpaty Lviv
Ukraine Premier Liga
€260k

I have to run to my own match, but I'll be curious to see how these guys ended up.

15 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Who else has come out of the Estonian league to play at this level? Not asking to be a jerk, genuinely interested if anyone knows off hand. A really quick look at the most expensive transfers out of the Estonian league (via Transfermarkt):

Andres Oper Andres Oper
Centre-Forward
21 99/00 Estonia
Aalborg BK Aalborg BK
Denmark Faxe Kondi Liga
€950k
Dmitri Kruglov Dmitri Kruglov
Left-Back
21 05/06 Estonia
Lokomotiv Moscow Loko Moscow
Russia Premier Liga
€600k
Yvan Dibango Yvan Dibango
Left-Back
21 23/24 Cameroon
Kryvbas Kryvyi Rig Kryvbas
Ukraine Premier Liga
€500k
Erik Sorga Erik Sorga
Centre-Forward
20 19/20 Estonia
Loudoun United FC Loudoun United
United States USLC
€450k
Promise David Promise David
Centre-Forward
23 24/25 Canada
Nigeria
Union Saint-Gilloise Union SG
Belgium Jupiler Pro League
€400k
Rauno Sappinen Rauno Sappinen
Centre-Forward
25 21/22 Estonia
Piast Gliwice Piast Gliwice
Poland Ekstraklasa
€400k
Nikita Andreev Nikita Andreev
Centre-Forward
20 09/10 Russia
Estonia
UD Almería B UD Almería B
Spain Spain
€400k
Tarmo Neemelo Tarmo Neemelo
Centre-Forward
24 05/06 Estonia
Helsingborgs IF Helsingborgs IF
Sweden Allsvenskan
€400k
Urmas Rooba Urmas Rooba
Left-Back
21 00/01 Estonia
FC Midtjylland FC Midtjylland
Denmark Faxe Kondi Liga
€275k
Sergei Zenjov Sergei Zenjov
Right Winger
18 07/08 Estonia
Karpaty Lviv Karpaty Lviv
Ukraine Premier Liga
€260k

I have to run to my own match, but I'll be curious to see how these guys ended up.

Mart Poom left the league for 128000 pounds in the early 90’s and did pretty well.

Promise’s ex team mate Alex Tamm could probably go for a good transfer fee.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

If David is putting in work with the USG first team he needs to be called to Canada next window.

If he explodes out of the gates, sure, but he would have to be scoring at a Tani level clip. Even then it may be more prudent to let him fully settle in with his new club. A September call up likely means he surpasses Bair and/or JRR (not to mention Ugbo, if he decides to get off the couch). 

Early days but he’ll be a fun one to track. Fingers crossed that he’s our next break out player.

6 minutes ago, FC_Hali said:

If he explodes out of the gates, sure, but he would have to be scoring at a Tani level clip. Even then it may be more prudent to let him fully settle in with his new club. A September call up likely means he surpasses Bair and/or JRR (not to mention Ugbo, if he decides to get off the couch). 

Early days but he’ll be a fun one to track. Fingers crossed that he’s our next break out player.

I think also if Jebbison is playing, not even needing to score in the Prem, Marsch will try to call him up for September.

There's also a slight argument that maybe Larin needs to be left with Mallorca for a window since he needs to start strong there.

Good points by both of you. And while I agree, we probably want to keep him out of Nigeria's hands. 

Same scenario as Tani, but with USG you have a European team that's upper table in Belgium. That could make Promise David more visible to the Nigerians than Tani was.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

If David is putting in work with the USG first team he needs to be called to Canada next window.

It sounds simple, but the follow up is "Ahead of who? The striker whi just transferred to Ligue 1, the striker about to transfer out of Ligue 1 to either the PL or Serie A, the striker in La Liga, or the striker who's been scoring in MLS and was a regular substitution at the Copa?"

What a time.

Edited by Watchmen

Funny how things change- 8 months ago, arguably our third best player played in Belgium. Today? Even if a guy starts in Belgium he’s not a lock.

We have so many guys in this emerging category, but I’m inclined to believe that if he starts his season off similar to Tani’s with Minnesota, you have to give him a look, especially in those friendlies. That physical profile is just so unique. If he’s good, he’s going to be *really* good. 

4 hours ago, VinceA said:

There's also a slight argument that maybe Larin needs to be left with Mallorca for a window since he needs to start strong there.

I don't think Larin would want to miss an international window, but it is true he needs a break, and since he hasn't been scoring easily for over a year, he needs a re-set.

Mallorca will pause for the international break, it is true. But if they agree with Marsch he won't go, it would not be terrible for his club situation