Daniel Krutzen

Aird25

It sounds like Daniel Krutzen is interested in representing Canada. 

"Over the next few years, Krutzen hopes to take n an even more involved role in the Canadian soccer movement. This past year, he acquired his Canadian permanent resident card, a big step in what he hopes will lead to a chance to represent the country he has called home for the past four seasons."

https://canpl.ca/article/ive-had-four-incredible-years-daniel-krutzen-reflects-on-his-time-with-forge-fc

57 minutes ago, VinceA said:

He won't be able to if he leaves for the USL, which is rumoured. He has to live in Canada until 2024 for FIFA to clear him.

FIFA guidelines are unclear about what they mean by spending 5 years living on the territory of country X, but to become a Canadian citizen, you only have to spend a certain number of days per year here to qualify. I think if he plays in the USL but keeps his primary residence in Canada, and spends enough time there, he'll be fine.

On the other hand, if he's transferring to the USL at 26, I'm not sure what his national team prospects honestly look like at this point.

Just off the top of my head I think if he splits for the entire off season he wont make his days.  My wife tried to keep it under 2 months back in the old country per year to keep her citizenship requirements valid.  But she is a worry wort, so maybe he'll be ok.  

If he can gain eligibility, he would be a good depth option at CB. He's a better passer and all-around defender than McNaughton, and he's more athletic than Miller. Given the chance to play in MLS, he would probably prove to be a dependable second or third cb. During Forge's run in Concacaf League, they never had an issue with being pinned back because he is capable of passing out of pressure. Unfortunately, doesn't look like he's going to get a chance in MLS. Toronto should give him a call, they need some cheap D help.

34 minutes ago, Cicero said:

...If he can gain eligibility, he would be a good depth option at CB. He's a better passer and all-around defender than McNaughton...

Would be interesting to find out why Bob Bradley & co don't see it that way. They are probably seeing something that we are missing like some extra pace and quicker decision making on McNaughton's part maybe, but there again they also signed Kadin Chung...

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Would be interesting to find out why Bob Bradley & co don't see it that way. They are probably seeing something that we are missing like some extra pace and quicker decision making on McNaughton's part maybe, but there again they also signed Kadin Chung...

He wouldn't have counted as domestic when they brought in Chung and McNaughton, and he was still rehabbing a major knee injury. No idea if BB would have considered him, I was surprised when they brought the two Pacific players in.

That trial with Vancouver didn't last long into this preseason (only the second half of the first match) and there are no natural left footers  in the CB mix.  However, he may have wanted a good shot at starting or getting decent minutes somewhere and not be seen by the staff as the number 5 on the CB depth chart (Veselinovic, Laborda, Blackmon switching from RB as needed, and then the younger Yao).