Kwasi Poku

phresh

I’ve always argued that the CPL is still an incredibly young league- most leagues have nearly a century of progress ahead of us and it will likely take decades until we are even able to sniff the ~top 20 leagues in the world, so if we can send a player to Europe here and there every year, it’s a win. 

My concern, or I guess it’s not even really a concern, more an observation, is that these players that move abroad very young, at the age most players make the pivot from unknown prospect to player on his way to becoming a valuable quantity (~18-21), they’re sold for relative pennies and then buried when they don’t immediately bust out. They’re also bought after like 20 or less games of good form. I’m not sure if this is an indictment of the level of play in CPL being much lower than we think, or if this is the reality of sub €1M transfers, and since we don’t see too many Europe bound players from Canada every year, each individual transfer is scrutinized that much more. 

Poku could indeed be that Canadian CPLer that finally breaks through- he certainly looks better than Pepple did in Canada, so all this may be premature. I just hope he doesn’t go to Molenbeek, come off the bench, doesn’t score in his first 3 games, and all of a sudden, it’s Molenbeek U21 team, then loan to French 4th division, then return to Forge at 24. I also think of Liam Fraser that didn’t particularly light up that league and then slid right into an MLS starting spot where he’s solidified his spot at a perfectly fine club. Ideally Poku’s next move would be to a better European league. We’ll see.

45 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I’ve always argued that the CPL is still an incredibly young league- most leagues have nearly a century of progress ahead of us and it will likely take decades until we are even able to sniff the ~top 20 leagues in the world, so if we can send a player to Europe here and there every year, it’s a win. 

My concern, or I guess it’s not even really a concern, more an observation, is that these players that move abroad very young, at the age most players make the pivot from unknown prospect to player on his way to becoming a valuable quantity (~18-21), they’re sold for relative pennies and then buried when they don’t immediately bust out. They’re also bought after like 20 or less games of good form. I’m not sure if this is an indictment of the level of play in CPL being much lower than we think, or if this is the reality of sub €1M transfers, and since we don’t see too many Europe bound players from Canada every year, each individual transfer is scrutinized that much more. 

Poku could indeed be that Canadian CPLer that finally breaks through- he certainly looks better than Pepple did in Canada, so all this may be premature. I just hope he doesn’t go to Molenbeek, come off the bench, doesn’t score in his first 3 games, and all of a sudden, it’s Molenbeek U21 team, then loan to French 4th division, then return to Forge at 24. I also think of Liam Fraser that didn’t particularly light up that league and then slid right into an MLS starting spot where he’s solidified his spot at a perfectly fine club. Ideally Poku’s next move would be to a better European league. We’ll see.

Hopefully his ability to play wingback, full back and winger prevent this. If he goes cold, he could serve a need elsewhere. It's a matter of how his new club see him.

I also think people need to remeber that from a technical and tactical standpoint our players are behind, and that hurts their transition. That being said, a lot of moves don’t work out and this is in every league.

I would still call Abzi a success, and Loturi. Yes we have some failures but we’ve seen guys like Farsi, Waterman, Zator, Lukas M come through, whereas guys like Borges and Chung didn’t make it. 

you’ll always have hits and misses. The point is that there are gems in the CPL.

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

TBF most people say we haven't had success sending players to Europe, but yes that could also be "overseas" or something instead and include Asia, etc.

I know. People also talk about Europe as if it's a single level of play. It drives me crazy. Alghamdi earned a significant transfer to a bigger team after leaving CPL. He plays alongside some very accomplished players. I don't know why people dismiss that or the players doing well in the states or elsewhere in the world. The best leagues in the world are in Europe but there are plenty of other leagues that are a step up from teams in Canada and many European leagues

16 hours ago, Watchmen said:

And they've been for less money and the "success" is still limited.  I'm looking at the Transfermakt page and Borges is still listed as the most valuable transfer.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/canadian-premier-league/transferrekorde/wettbewerb/CDN1

Sure, same as everywhere in the world. Younger players attract a higher transfer fee. Does that mean teams shouldn't play older players and everyone should retire at 23?

1 minute ago, El Diego said:

Molenbeek is part of the Textor group (Lyon, Botafogo, Crystal Palace). I don't know anything about the club but 2nd div Belgium seems like a pretty good level for this transfer, the top tier was a bridge too far for Borges.

Should note Textor is despised by Lyon fans since it looks like he's stripping the team for parts basically. They just sold off one of their best defensive prospects to another French team.

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Should note Textor is despised by Lyon fans since it looks like he's stripping the team for parts basically. They just sold off one of their best defensive prospects to another French team.

I'm very open about my dislike for these multi-team ownership groups. They can be well run (Red Bull, City Group) but it's soulless and an easy vehicle for manipulation/financial doping.

3 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I'm very open about my dislike for these multi-team ownership groups. They can be well run (Red Bull, City Group) but it's soulless and an easy vehicle for manipulation/financial doping.

I don't think Troyes fans are very happy with City Football group

8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Hoping he can see the rest of the season out with Forge via loan. ProbablY the biggest match of our history next Tuesday. 

I agree about the importance of the match Tuesday but I doubt he stays with Forge after being held out the last 2 matches, no worries though, we have  Schiavoni to step up!👍