Kwasi Poku

phresh

18 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I get your position and you've made it clear and I agree on some of it, but is calling Poku as a training player a bit disrespectful?

Not that he would feel disrespected, or believe it's beneath him, but as a fan of the national team I would feel that way FOR him.

Santiago Lopez, for example, is a youth player who is just breaking into Pumas, with just 2 league appearance to date. That's what a training player looks like, at least for me.

Another example was Patrick Metcalfe. Can't recall the year, maybe 2021, but he was still with Vancouver I believe, and although he played 20 games for the Whitecaps in the end, he was really on the fringes of the team throughout his MLS tenure, Again, that's a training player.

Another example is Matteo Campanga under Herdman.

Poku is different. He doesn't yet have the resume of a JRR, Bair or Ugbo, but his development is well ahead of Lopez, Campanga or Metcalfe (when he was training with Canada). Again, if he sustains his goal rate at this level he's either going to move up a level, or even if he moderates out but keeps scoring and finishes with say 10 goals, he's going to be sticking around with his club in the Belgian top flight when they promote.

I suppose it's too early to take their promotion to the bank, but given their start and the fact they were in the top flight last season, along with their strong backing, being part of the Crystal Palace/Lyon ownership group, it's a pretty safe bet, I feel.

Anyway, does any of the above sway your opinion about him being a training player?

Are there examples of any other training players this far into their development?

It does not sway my opinion at all.  I don't think it's happening fwiw but yes, I still believe that any invite sent to him is based strictly on potential and a promising future.  And if he was to be called, it would likely be as an a invitee and I'd be welcome to it.  I wish we extended more training invites. 

Koleosho was a lot younger but he attended 2 camps after having La Liga experience.

Edited by Corazon

36 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

We don’t need a training invite striker, we already call up 4-5 any given window. I’d be more interested in calling up some of our younger CMs if we’re doing that. Thinking of guys like Dumitru with Toronto, Jeevan Badwal, guys like that who are playing nextpro week in week out but no real pro resume. 

Was gonna mention Jesse Costa too, I still see he’s unattached FC. Is that true?

Maybe they'll call in Biello for the open training in Montreal?

Edited by Corazon

4 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Maybe, they'll call in Biello for the training in Montreal?

That’s a great call and you may be right. It’s a shame Montreal hasn’t given him more of a chance this year- he looked pretty alright in the minutes I did see him. Montreal is struggling to find guys who actually want to play here, so having the kid of a club legend get some game time seems to help with that. Hope he’s training at the camp too.

18 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

We don’t need a training invite striker, we already call up 4-5 any given window. I’d be more interested in calling up some of our younger CMs if we’re doing that. Thinking of guys like Dumitru with Toronto, Jeevan Badwal, guys like that who are playing nextpro week in week out but no real pro resume. 

Was gonna mention Jesse Costa too, I still see he’s unattached FC. Is that true?

He's playing RW currently, but he's proven he can also play CF, LW, LM, LB...

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I'm not cheering against Poku here, but in your example I think there's a big difference between "starting to crack the line up of a good Liga MX side" vs "in the line up of a Belgium div 2 team". I don't think his development is "well ahead of Lopez", and I don't know if I'd even be calling Lopez in yet either. I think "training squad" player is exactly what these guys are right now, and it's not something they should be offended by. We don't need to be rushing to anoint "the next one" so quickly sometimes. Let's just see what Poku does this year, and best of luck to him.

If you frame it that way I agree, but Poku is not just "in the line up".....he's scored 2 goals in 3 games, and for the club at the top of the table and favorite to jump straight back to the top flight. 

I don't mean to pump up Poku here, or downplay Lopez, but I just don't see how one could say both players are close in terms of development. Poku has played over 60 pro games, Lopez has played 2 games. Lopez may have a higher ceiling than Poku and may go onto have a better career, but he's not playing first team soccer. On what grounds is Poku not well ahead of Lopez developmentally? The eye test against youth players?

Regardless, I guess it doesn't matter if he comes in as a training player or not, but I will say that moving to the Molenbeek and then hitting the ground running changes my perspective on Poku. It's below Liga MX, but above CPL. It's a good sign.

Please don't take this as me annoiting him as the 2nd coming by the way. I am not saying he deserves a call right now, but I do have a feeling he will be called soon, maybe as a training player, maybe not. 

One more thing about training players... what's the point? To make up the numbers, right? Why bring Poku in to only train? This should be the role of a youth player like Lopez, but even then his club seemingly held him back, perhaps to keep training in the first team environment of Pumas. What is the point of flying Poku all the way back from Europe to make up the numbers? If he gets called he will be in contention to play!

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

It does not sway my opinion at all.  I don't think it's happening fwiw but yes, I still believe that any invite sent to him is based strictly on potential and a promising future.  And if he was to be called, it would likely be as an a invitee and I'd be welcome to it.  I wish we extended more training invites. 

Koleosho was a lot younger but he attended 2 camps after having La Liga experience.

Koleosho wasn't a training player. He was a player we were trying to lure to our program. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Maybe calling Poku as a training player would make sense if we held a camp in Belgium or Holland, somewhere nearby?

Even then....why call someone like him to only train? What is the benefit? The young GK who was at Bordeaux, for example, made sense for Canada because we were literally in Bordeaux, and the player obviously got a cool and unique experience, given his age. 

I guess I am against the idea of calling players who are not yet NT standard, and calling them "training players". Seems pointless unless they are a youth player who may benefit from training....

However, I am not against reaching deep into our pool and calling guys who may need to pay their dues before they earn their first cap. Just don't call it a "training player", it suggests they have no shot of seeing the field.

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If you frame it that way I agree, but Poku is not just "in the line up".....he's scored 2 goals in 3 games, and for the club at the top of the table and favorite to jump straight back to the top flight. 

But the goals were against a reserve team (that plays in the 2nd division). I admit it gets tricky, but I still view that differently than if he scored against a fully independent side.

I don't think I'm disagreeing with you that I wouldn't be calling in players who aren't NT quality yet unless it's not inconvenient for them (ie your Bordeaux example) but I think that's also why I wouldn't be calling in Poku yet either. And I think I'm just less offended by the term training player.

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

But the goals were against a reserve team (that plays in the 2nd division). I admit it gets tricky, but I still view that differently than if he scored against a fully independent side.

I don't think I'm disagreeing with you that I wouldn't be calling in players who aren't NT quality yet unless it's not inconvenient for them (ie your Bordeaux example) but I think that's also why I wouldn't be calling in Poku yet either. And I think I'm just less offended by the term training player.

Seems to sum it up nicely 👍.

Yeah, it's tricky for sure considering who the goals were against. 

As I believe you mentioned, we have to see how this plays out in the coming weeks and months. For all we know, Poku will be stuck on 2 goals into December, making any talk of a call a non-starter, or he could round out the calander year with something like 10 goals in 13 games, which would be hard to ignore even with it being the Challenger Pro League. 

Hopefully we have a January camp for players like him, who are on a good path but not quite there yet.

51 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Koleosho wasn't a training player. He was a player we were trying to lure to our program. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Maybe calling Poku as a training player would make sense if we held a camp in Belgium or Holland, somewhere nearby?

Even then....why call someone like him to only train? What is the benefit? The young GK who was at Bordeaux, for example, made sense for Canada because we were literally in Bordeaux, and the player obviously got a cool and unique experience, given his age. 

I guess I am against the idea of calling players who are not yet NT standard, and calling them "training players". Seems pointless unless they are a youth player who may benefit from training....

However, I am not against reaching deep into our pool and calling guys who may need to pay their dues before they earn their first cap. Just don't call it a "training player", it suggests they have no shot of seeing the field.

You’re reading way too much into this.  I’m not here for a debate on what quantifies what a “training invitee” is or should be.

I’ll make it as simple as possible for you.  

1) I believe he shouldn’t be getting called into our 23 man roster yet.

2) I’d love to have him involved as a training invite only.  I’d also love that for dozens of other prospects as well.  Prospects come from all over and have different backgrounds and are all in different stages of their careers.

I’m not here to argue about whether I think he fits “your” or  “Canada’s” idea of what a training invitee is and whether they should be offended by the term.  I really don’t care.  All I said, was that his goals against 2nd division and amateur Belgian squads would not justify his inclusion in our squad ahead of others yet.  I then said, If he is called it would likely be as training invite only and I’d be happy for that.  

Edited by Corazon

4 minutes ago, Corazon said:

You’re reading way too much into this.  I’m not here for a debate on what quantifies what a “training invitee” is or should be.

I’ll make it as simple as possible for you.  

1) I believe he shouldn’t be getting called into our 23 man roster yet.

2) I’d love to have him involved as a training invite only.  I’d also love that for dozens of other prospects as well.  Prospects come from all over and have different backgrounds and are all in different stages of their careers.

I’m not here to argue about whether I think he fits “your” or  “Canada’s” idea of what a training invitee is.  I really don’t care.  All I said, was that his goals against 2nd division and amateur Belgian squads would not justify his inclusion in our squad ahead of others yet.  I then said, If he is called it would likely be as training invite only and I’d be happy for that.  

I will be surprised if Poku gets called as a training player, as he doesn't fit the mold of past training players. That was my overall talking point here.

I wasn't trying to drag you into an argument on semantics, just voicing my opinions on it. That's all.

Cheers!

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

I will be surprised if Poku gets called as a training player, as he doesn't fit the mold of past training players. That was my overall talking point here.

I wasn't trying to drag you into an argument on semantics, just voicing my opinions on it. That's all.

Cheers!

Maybe we will be seeing Poku after all with the news of several new faces and a 26 man roster…. 👀

I’d be more inclined to think we’d see a few more MLS based players but who knows if we’re flying a bunch in from Europe as well?

Great that this lad gets his first CanMNT call-up. But what I really like is the precedent it sets for the CPL. All the Canadian players in the league can see a path to the national program, can envision playing in a World Cup, can see themselves playing one-twos with David and can imagine themselves belting out the anthem with their teammates.

That’s so cool and ultimately so great for our depth and player pool as a whole.

I watched Poku play well for our U20 team as a LB and LW and am not surprised he eventually got a call from the senior squad, what does surprise me is the call has come so soon and he is now a striker! This is great for Poku, the CPL and Forge, young players can see their good play won't be overlooked because of where they play their trade!

On 1/27/2023 at 1:58 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I rate Kwasi Poku and Lowell Wright simply based on the fact that both were born in Brampton. :D

On 1/27/2023 at 2:45 PM, VinceA said:

Also a good criteria loool

@gator

22 minutes ago, gator said:

what does surprise me is the call has come so soon and he is now a striker! 

No surprise; it's the power of Brampton!

5 hours ago, gator said:

I watched Poku play well for our U20 team as a LB and LW and am not surprised he eventually got a call from the senior squad, what does surprise me is the call has come so soon and he is now a striker! This is great for Poku, the CPL and Forge, young players can see their good play won't be overlooked because of where they play their trade!

tbh, I would have preferred he stayed as a LB/LW as we need more depth there than up front.  

13 minutes ago, An Observer said:

tbh, I would have preferred he stayed as a LB/LW as we need more depth there than up front.  

At Forge we were in dire straits with all of the strikers being injured, Bobby knew Poku had played striker in his younger days and made a decision to play him there, it has turned out brilliantly for the player, club and arguably the league! It's great that he has versatility but I don't think there is any turning back now, he is one for the future with the MNT!

5 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Watched a bit of the game today. He definitely is playing LW

I haven't figured out how to catch the games yet, but its crazy to me that every single statistical site I've found can be wrong by showing him primarily on the right

8 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I haven't figured out how to catch the games yet, but its crazy to me that every single statistical site I've found can be wrong by showing him primarily on the right

Belgium Dazn. All Belgium League A and B are on there live. I believe if you have Dazn, you can switch VPN location or watch on ip television

Edited by blueseeka

9 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Has he registered any assists this year? I don’t believe the apps I use track assists for this league. His numbers are quite high even when he isn’t scoring, so wasn’t sure.  

Sofascore has stats for this league.

He has 2 goals in 5 games. No assists. 

I like Fotmob but Sofascore is better for some lower level leagues (CPL, Belgian 2nd tier,  Serie C as examples).

Edited by narduch