Moise Bombito

phresh

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

At this point he’s the best CB in concacaf right? Like there’s no argument?

Seems that way and it's not just Canadians thinking that. Jack from Deadball TV said the same thing following the last window. 

The only thing holding him back from that title right now may be inexperience, but he's closing that gap rapidly being a mainstay with Canada and Nice, a Ligue 1 team who will be pushing for the top 4 in France. 

In terms of right here, right now, experience or not, he's the best. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Seems that way and it's not just Canadians thinking that. Jack from Deadball TV said the same thing following the last window. 

The only thing holding him back from that title right now may be inexperience, but he's closing that gap rapidly being a mainstay with Canada and Nice, a Ligue 1 team who will be pushing for the top 4 in France. 

In terms of right here, right now, experience or not, he's the best. 

Yeah, exactly. The states have a CB of the same age with about 50 games of premier league experience and a few dozen Bundesliga games, but I don’t think many Americans would say no to a 1:1 Bombito for Chris Richards trade if it was possible. 

I hope Nice brass were watching last night. I understand why MB is played so conservatively in a new league with such little experience, but I think he showed how well he can operate in chaos- fall out of position and use his physical tools to still beat his man. Learning to play conservatively is the best way for him to extend his career beyond his physical peak, but I can’t wait until Bombito sees those open spaces in transition and tries to attack them instead of passing to another CB and hanging back. 

Regardless of whether it's his crazy athletic abilities or improvement in reading the game, he is incredibly  effective for Canada and that's all that matters. Derek is the more experienced CB but at BMO  yesterday, Bombito sure looked like the best player on the field. Collectively the defence  did not look as good as they have over the previous 10 games but even when Panama broke through Bombito's speed was able to nullify the danger. 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

At this point he’s the best CB in concacaf right? Like there’s no argument?

Watch! In 10-15 years, Canada will have an overabundance of quality CBs because of Bombito. And it won't be just because of his skills. It'll be because he's making it a cool position to play. Every kid wants to score, but Bombito's reactions when he makes a great defensive play will make some of those kids want to be as cool as The Bomb.

9 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Regardless of whether it's his crazy athletic abilities or improvement in reading the game, he is incredibly  effective for Canada and that's all that matters. Derek is the more experienced CB but at BMO  yesterday, Bombito sure looked like the best player on the field. Collectively the defence  did not look as good as they have over the previous 10 games but even when Panama broke through Bombito's speed was able to nullify the danger. 

He has become an absolute essential out there, frankly.  I like Cornelius as his complement but without Bombito, any of the other experienced guys in the CB depth chart would be a very serious fall off right now.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

Watch! In 10-15 years, Canada will have an overabundance of quality CBs because of Bombito. And it won't be just because of his skills. It'll be because he's making it a cool position to play. Every kid wants to score, but Bombito's reactions when he makes a great defensive play will make some of those kids want to be as cool as The Bomb.

I was gonna say something like this- he plays an exciting game that makes playing CB look really fun. Totally different style, but he could kinda be our version of Sergio Ramos. Just a guy playing a completely different game than everyone else and who is liable to be the most exciting player on the pitch every night. Every time he’s anywhere near the ball, you’re liable to see some really cool stuff happen. A lot of kids are going to watch this and want to be the player who makes a spectacular physical move to save a goal at the nick of time. 

Not sure if you’ve been watching the habs this season, but the way the Bell Centre goes off every time Lane Hutson has the puck on his stick reminds me a lot of how crazy the crowd was going last night for Bombito.

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I was gonna say something like this- he plays an exciting game that makes playing CB look really fun. Totally different style, but he could kinda be our version of Sergio Ramos. Just a guy playing a completely different game than everyone else and who is liable to be the most exciting player on the pitch every night. Every time he’s anywhere near the ball, you’re liable to see some really cool stuff happen. A lot of kids are going to watch this and want to be the player who makes a spectacular physical move to save a goal at the nick of time. 

Not sure if you’ve been watching the habs this season, but the way the Bell Centre goes off every time Lane Hutson has the puck on his stick reminds me a lot of how crazy the crowd was going last night for Bombito.

Yeah, I watch  Hab games but I was thinking more of what Roy and Brodeur did for goaltending and what Bobby Orr did for defencemen. I'm not totally sold on Hutson as a defenceman but I get your point.

10 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Yeah, I watch  Hab games but I was thinking more of what Roy and Brodeur did for goaltending and what Bobby Orr did for defencemen. I'm not totally sold on Hutson as a defenceman but I get your point.

Yeah I thought about Roy and Brodeur and even Luongo and the impact they had in getting kids between the pipes, good point.

Interesting enough, you walk through any given neighbourhood in the city and there’s an arena named after a guy we grew up watching, and it just shows you the influence some of these guys have- think St. Leo has a Roberto Luongo Arena, and you can bet that by 2050, the Moise Bombito Élite Training Centre in VSL will have produced a few top tier European talents, and it’s exciting to think of the point where the guys we cheer for today are the elder statesmen who raised a whole generation of young players who wanted to become them. 

8 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah I thought about Roy and Brodeur and even Luongo and the impact they had in getting kids between the pipes, good point.

Interesting enough, you walk through any given neighbourhood in the city and there’s an arena named after a guy we grew up watching, and it just shows you the influence some of these guys have- think St. Leo has a Roberto Luongo Arena, and you can bet that by 2050, the Moise Bombito Élite Training Centre in VSL will have produced a few top tier European talents, and it’s exciting to think of the point where the guys we cheer for today are the elder statesmen who raised a whole generation of young players who wanted to become them. 

Great point about the arena naming. I live in Ile Bizard a stone's throw away from the Rene Lecavaliere arena.

2 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Great point about the arena naming. I live in Ile Bizard a stone's throw away from the Rene Lecavaliere arena.

They now have the Kim St. Pierre arena back in my hometown now. I knew quite a few girls who played goalie in high school mostly because of KSP pretty much being the pride of our town. Between her and Corey Crawford, I think most kids growing up around the rink wanted to become a goalie at least at some point. 

6 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Everyone's right to rave about his athletic prowess but his reading of the game as grown by leaps and bounds with Nice and it'll only get better playing next to a great pro like Dante. 

Dante's teammates (defencemen) at OGC Nice:

16/20: Malang Sarr

20/21: William Saliba

21/24: Jean-Clair Tobido

24/: Moise Bombito

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Didn't watch the video but just to compare Bombito right now to Van Dijk at his age, at 24-25, Van Dijk was moving from Celtic to Southampton. Nice is obviously a higher level than Celtic and make your own mind up about Southampton compared to Nice. Suffice to say he's not miles behind where Van Dijk was at his age. If he can continue to develop it might not be that crazy of a comparison. He has the tools.

The spine of this team is a stellar quad of francophone studs: David, Kone, Bombito, Crepeau. Right down the middle of the pitch.  

David might be the best 10 in CONCACAF at the moment

Kone has all the tools to be the top box-to-box midfielder in the region

Bombito might already be the top CB in the region

And Crepeau is easily top five in his position in CONCACAF, no?

Hardworking, humble, talented...so thankful for these lads.

Outside of the rebirth of Raul Jimenez, I can't think of a better No 9 either in CONCACAF. 

Who would you have over Crepeau in the region other than Andre Blake? You might be able to make an argument for Patrick Schulte, but I honestly don't think there is another keeper that has been this consistent in the region (especially for their national team) in the past year or so. 

15 hours ago, A Different Perspective said:

Another major factor is with his speed and his reading of the game he rarely resorts to dangerous sliding tackles 

Can't be overstating the marrying of those two qualities.  Having the courage, the confidense, to be decisive shouldn't be underestimated either.     

Actually were talking about this at the pub the other day, the way this or that player "sees the game".  You learn in the classroom, you learn inductively, but you've always got a bias(I?) in your way of seeing things.  I guess you're born with it, don't know, but when it blends so perfectly with your position on the field....you are sorted.  

“It’s a surreal moment, for real! To be able to represent my country in front of 23,000-plus and have some of them chanting my name was a surreal moment and one I'll cherish for a long time!''

“It’s flattering, but I've to keep my feet on the ground... The job’s not done! We've to be able to focus on 2026 because that’s where the goal is. For me to be able to put up good performances once is good, but can I do it consistently?”

13 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

The spine of this team is a stellar quad of francophone studs: David, Kone, Bombito, Crepeau. Right down the middle of the pitch.  

Perhaps a good case for playing in Montreal more than once every decade.

14 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

There's an argument to be made that every one of Canada's regular starters are in the top 5 in their respective positions in CONCACAF. I'm including guys who would normally start but weren't here this week, like Buchanan, Kone and Johnston.

Most of the starters are actually top 3, while David and Davies are the best in their positions. Bombito, if he isn't already, is on track to be the best CB in CONCACAF in short order.

23 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

He has become an absolute essential out there, frankly.  I like Cornelius as his complement but without Bombito, any of the other experienced guys in the CB depth chart would be a very serious fall off right now.

Especially with the style of play we’re playing with right now. We’re able to push so many players forward in our press because he can clean things up. Without him, we’d have a really hard time playing the style that Marsch wants to play I think.

3 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Especially with the style of play we’re playing with right now. We’re able to push so many players forward in our press because he can clean things up. Without him, we’d have a really hard time playing the style that Marsch wants to play I think.

Agreed.  Recovery pace is a priority back there and quickness and engine room/energy in the pressing game is a priority in the other positions as well.