Moise Bombito

phresh

It's interesting. When Davies transferred to Bayern Munich and had such immediately success, I thought the Bundesliga would become the "top 5" destination for Canadians. Especially since we'd already had other players go there and succeed (Stalteri, Friend, De Jong, etc). Instead, it suddenly seems like League 1 is the spot. Which isn't bad (thought it's definitely #5 of the top 5) it's just not how I thought it would go.

6 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It's interesting. When Davies transferred to Bayern Munich and had such immediately success, I thought the Bundesliga would become the "top 5" destination for Canadians. Especially since we'd already had other players go there and succeed (Stalteri, Friend, De Jong, etc). Instead, it suddenly seems like League 1 is the spot. Which isn't bad (thought it's definitely #5 of the top 5) it's just not how I thought it would go.

These things are always in flux. For a while the Bundesliga was THE destination for Japanese and Americans, but now Americans have kind of shifted to Italy, while the Japanese are spreading out more evenly across the top 5 leagues.

For us we are building a concentration in France. The dynamics will shift with time, hopefully for the better, but for now I will enjoy having a sizeable concentration in a top 5 league. 

18 minutes ago, Obinna said:

These things are always in flux. For a while the Bundesliga was THE destination for Japanese and Americans, but now Americans have kind of shifted to Italy, while the Japanese are spreading out more evenly across the top 5 leagues.

For us we are building a concentration in France. The dynamics will shift with time, hopefully for the better, but for now I will enjoy having a sizeable concentration in a top 5 league. 

I remember Germany was the destination for American players because it was a favorable VISA situation for them vs the other leagues, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Yeah, I'll take Canadians in any of the big 5 leagues (and even at the biggest clubs in mid-tier leagues). I just think it's interesting Davies went to Germany and had success and there's essentially been no Canadians of consequence since then. (Kennedy maybe?). Davies turned out to be the anomaly, not the first of a wave of players.

Edited by Watchmen

32 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Germany could be the next step, but we'll see how our players perform. I think average salaries still jump a fair bit from Ligue 1 to Bundesliga. The German top flight is full of young French players that did well in Ligue 1, but the opposite isn't really true. 

21 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Maybe he was the very end of a wave? Stalteri, Legerwood, Friend, Simpson, Nsaliwa, Canizalez, de Rosario, Straith, etc

Maybe, but that's what's weird. A great player arrives and then the league stops looking for players from that country, despise there already being a precedent of players from here already having various levels of success?

33 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Germany could be the next step, but we'll see how our players perform. I think average salaries still jump a fair bit from Ligue 1 to Bundesliga. The German top flight is full of young French players that did well in Ligue 1, but the opposite isn't really true. 

Sure, and that would be fine. I just thought they might bypass Ligue 1 entirely.

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Maybe, but that's what's weird. A great player arrives and then the league stops looking for players from that country, despise there already being a precedent of players from here already having various levels of success?

The league stops looking? Too much MLS on the brain. 

The teams have sophisticated scouting networks and everything is circumstantial. No one is going out of their way to sign a player of a certain nationality. 

5 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Maybe there was a change in their labour laws with regards to visas for non-EU passport players? Or turning it around another way maybe fewer of our best players have EU passports by ancestry now? Another one for the wave although it will be a sore point for many on here is Owen Hargreaves. Maybe he was part of what made Bayern take a Canadian player from Alberta seriously when Alphonso Davies was emerging on the scene.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Paging @red card

Any news on Ligue 1 broadcast in Canada?

DAZN is showing the league in their major markets like Japan, Germany & a few other Euro countries. It's on regional broadcasters in other Euro countries. But nothing listed for Bein outside of France/Monaco/Andorra. Even nothing for TV5 ex in Africa/Asia. 

So, it looks like we're waiting on a deal with Bein.

22 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Sure, and that would be fine. I just thought they might bypass Ligue 1 entirely.

I understand what you're saying, I just don't think one teenage phenom is a good thing to base expectations on. Players often have to climb the ladder and Bundesliga is closer to the top than Ligue 1. What we're seeing this window is a huge improvement.

47 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Maybe he was the very end of a wave? Stalteri, Legerwood, Friend, Simpson, Nsaliwa, Canizalez, de Rosario, Straith, etc

I thought the conversation was about players skipping Ligue 1 to go to Bundesliga. If I recall correctly, half those players didn't even make it to that level, and the ones that did had to climb their way up. They're also at least a decade older than Davies

Edited by Aird25