Moise Bombito

phresh

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

Lyon's a big step up was expecting more of a midtable club along the lines of Nantes/Reims/Toulouse. Hopefully if he does go there the move wraps up quickly so he has time to adjust.

He hasn't even played a full season in MLS. Pretty small sample size for teams to assess him. Guess they just like the size and speed.

12 hours ago, Cicero said:

He hasn't even played a full season in MLS. Pretty small sample size for teams to assess him. Guess they just like the size and speed.

Perhaps so.... but I still like his chance of success with Reign.😉

Edited by Onelessstar

17 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Liking what they see.  Years of upside to him and can "still" be had on the relative cheap.  Reasons enough for lots of clubs to take a punt.

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I always find it funny, one month a player is in a league like mls, then the moment he gets signed for a top tier team he’s all of a sudden better. 

No, but it validates what many on here and Marsch see in him and a few others on the CMNT. That the player has high potential upside and the natural physical attributes to make it happen.

2 hours ago, Atlantic said:

It’s the sports entertainment group owned by American John Textor. He owns Crystal Palace, all OL teams including Seattle Reign, Botafogo and R.W.D. Molenbeek

So a more accurate quote would be "Eagle Group to decide what is best for Eagle Group."  

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

I know there is limited sample size but this is a guy who is 6’ 3”, looks pretty coordinated, has proven he can score headers on set pieces, and is literally Davies/Mbappe fast.  If you are going to take a flyer on a young player, that isn’t a bad combo to roll the dice with.   

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know there is limited sample size but this is a guy who is 6’ 3”, looks pretty coordinated, has proven he can score headers on set pieces, and is literally Davies/Mbappe fast.  If you are going to take a flyer on a young player, that isn’t a bad combo to roll the dice with.   

And you can't tell me that this forum isn't extremely pleased with he along with Cornelius apparently filling the biggest hole in the Canadian lineup?  it's crazy to consider how quickly that worry got addressed.   

Doesn't hurt that his coming out was literally against some of the toughest squads on the planet.  But we'll see how he does against more "normal" squads in the next 2 matches, maybe with an attention to different details.

Things are coming up Milhouse, for sure.

6 hours ago, Atlantic said:

It’s the sports entertainment group owned by American John Textor. He owns Crystal Palace, all OL teams including Seattle Reign, Botafogo and R.W.D. Molenbeek

Reign was recently sold to the Carlyle Group for US$58m with the ops being managed by the Sounders. 

OL couldn't keep Reign because they sold a 52% stake in Lyon women's holdings to Michelle Kang last year. NWSL said Kang couldn't own both the Washington and Seattle teams. 

Also, if Textor is successful in buying Everton, he'll need to sell his stake in CP.

5 hours ago, Cicero said:

You can teach technique, you can't teach 6'3" and elite speed. 

Not to mention the kid has shown he has the instincts to score as well as weigh tackles.

His baseline is managing well vs France and Argentina.  Sky is the limit on this kid. 

Hang on man, it's gonna be a helluva ride.  This ain't no JMR sales pitch.

Edited by costarg

8 minutes ago, costarg said:

Not to mention the kid has shown he has the instincts to score as well as weigh tackles.

His baseline is managing well vs France and Argentina.  Sky is the limit on this kid. 

if he ends up stifling all of our CONCACAF opponents, and just showing something against the rest of the globe...A+.

a few more A+ paths available.   but I just hope he and Cornelius figure it all out at the same time, and solidify the backline for a few more years.

5 hours ago, costarg said:

It's actually just the opposite, there's a lot of technique and basic football nous you can't teach at his age. 

Few of the great CBs of history needed elite speed because they had anticipation, positioning, were wily, could put a body on a taller striker.

If Lyon are interested it's because they see other things, but he's still starting a pro career ridiculously late. For me the jury's still out and he's a step down from Cornelius.

Edit: the only thing I'll give him is our right side with AJ beside him and Tajon up above is weaker than the left, and by quite a bit. So he's less supported on the pitch. Then not having a clear stay home DM to assist the CBs. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

A lot is said about his speed, but the whole reason we wanted speed is so we can prevent opponents from getting in behind our defense. I can't remember ever seeing so many breakaways against us as we have had these last few games. I don't know if they are on him, or Corneilius, or both, but that needs to get sorted out quick.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

A lot is said about his speed, but the whole reason we wanted speed is so we can prevent opponents from getting in behind our defense. I can't remember ever seeing so many breakaways against us as we have had these last few games. I don't know if they are on him, or Corneilius, or both, but that needs to get sorted out quick.

Speed in defence is not going to prevent that, smart positioning is. It can mitigate it.

Did we actually see it in the last few games or was it Emi Martinez and mostly Messi sussing out our defence last game?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

15 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

He's obviously got some potential as a ball playing CB as well. Herdman thought he was the solution at CDM because of his ball control, dribbling, passing. Even if he's not quite good enough in those areas for the midfield, he can still be successful in those areas as a CB.

56 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don’t remember many breakaways in the France or Netherlands games. 

9 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I don’t remember many breakaways in the France or Netherlands games. 

I think there were a few, but I also do agree that people's opinions might be slightly skewed because of some mistakes we made. The 2 most clear breakaways for Argentina were from bad passes/giveaways by our last man. Kone with 1 and Bombito with the other. Those really don't have a ton to do with the high line or poor positioning (though there was some of that too).

I remember Marsch and I believe a player during an interview both mentioning that we let the ball bounce at times when we shouldn't have, and it led to breaks. Hopefully as they get more comfortable in the system, their positioning and their decision making on when to be aggressive and when to back off will improve.

Whatever his transfer value is- probably low/mid 7 figures- is peanuts for what you get. Brazilian players with a season and a half of decent form will get transferred for €40M. If you’re paying a tenth of that and getting a player who if he pans out properly, he’ll be a very good CB and arguably the fastest player in the world. If he crashes, you don’t lose much. 

I think Lyon is a good level because he would play, but I would not be surprised if absolute top teams were tossing their hat in the ring for him. If his development curve is relatively stable over the next few years, he could be one of the best value transfers of the past several years.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I do remember thinking to myself that he was high up the pitch a few times.  I hope he doesn't learn to over-rely on his speed to let him cheat positionally.  There are some guys that he won't be able to chase down, and speed shouldn't be a replacement for learning good positional play.

But that is all stuff a team like Lyon would sort out pretty quickly. 

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I do remember thinking to myself that he was high up the pitch a few times.  I hope he doesn't learn to over-rely on his speed to let him cheat positionally.  There are some guys that he won't be able to chase down, and speed shouldn't be a replacement for learning good positional play.

But that is all stuff a team like Lyon would sort out pretty quickly. 

He has done it in MLS a few times as well.  Something to learn. 

And you are never going out run a well placed long ball if you are out of postion. 

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's actually just the opposite, there's a lot of technique and basic football nous you can't teach at his age. 

Few of the great CBs of history needed elite speed because they had anticipation, positioning, were wily, could put a body on a taller striker.

If Lyon are interested it's because they see other things, but he's still starting a pro career ridiculously late. For me the jury's still out and he's a step down from Cornelius.

Edit: the only thing I'll give him is our right side with AJ beside him and Tajon up above is weaker than the left, and by quite a bit. So he's less supported on the pitch. Then not having a clear stay home DM to assist the CBs. 

Lyon would be a good fit for Bombito

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Speed in defence is not going to prevent that, smart positioning is. It can mitigate it.

Did we actually see it in the last few games or was it Emi Martinez and mostly Messi sussing out our defence last game?

And even Paredes, who we stopped well at first, figured us out. 

If you are going to play a high line, fine, but don't let those guys lift their heads with time on the ball and pick out a run. If they can see the runs and time the balls, you have to left off on the back line and run with them. 

I always find it odd that an Argentine can do that, but guys who grew up watching CFL or NFL can't time a ball into space for an attacker to run onto. We have that one David goal on a slow breakaway vs. Martinique, and that nice one where he did a quick touch out of the air and chipped the keeper...what was that one again?

In any case, the high line allows the whole team to pressure and defend in a tighter space, if you get it back there is someone near you; and no one is overextended or stretched. So if you don't pressure the outlet you are defeating the purpose.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Indeed.  Yet you ignored the rest of my comment.

12 hours ago, costarg said:

He's shown impressive instincts and basics in all different phases of the game with very limited pro minutes.  He's still learning and at an incredible rate.

Very fair and good comment regarding the work required on his side vs Cornelius

We're not talking about a guy that's doing well vs a few teams in MLS any more.  He just faced Argentina and France and did not look out of place.  Honest question, how do you think prime Vitoria with all his composure, aerial dominance and "better" positioning/anticipation would've looked in the last games?