Moise Bombito

phresh

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

and a willingness to foul constantly and persistently and bet (correctly) that the ref will be reluctant to call all of them.

That's not a bet that the defending player can afford to make.

True, again maybe its something you learn with an attacker like that is to give him space, especially if you think you can make up ground on him. 

5 hours ago, Aird25 said:

He probably won't run into too many players like Brobbey, but he was completely outmatched and had no answer

When I watched Brobbey at work agsinst Bombito, I thought back to how Waterman got turnstlled by that Bahrainian forward in the pre WC friendly leading to their goal.  

Edited by BearcatSA

5 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

None of what you say changes the fact CBs are judged more harshly for individual mistakes, due to the fact they more often lead to goals being conceded, and therefore make coaches more reluctant to play them if they arent the finished product. 

Intuitively, being more mistake-prone would seem to be the explanation for having older CB's in general, but it's just as much a result of the position being less reliant on speed and fitness in general, so CB's are more effective longer, and thus there just aren't as many spots for young CB's.

Games-played is more important than age in terms of decision making, so the problem is really that since CB's can play longer, it takes young CB's longer to accumulate the necessary experience. But they have to accumulate it somehow, so to get them to the higher level, they're going to make the mistakes regardless, they'll just be spread out over a longer period, because they don't play as much when they're young. If that's true, teams should just bite the bullet and play young CB's as much as possible, live with the mistakes and have a finished product for several more years than they would otherwise.

5 hours ago, Aird25 said:

He probably won't run into too many players like Brobbey, but he was completely outmatched and had no answer

Yeah, I really didn't see it that way - I saw it more like he had his hands full (literally) with Brobbey.  But apart from the one break Brobbey had at the end of the half (where Bombito's speed actually allowed him to recover and make a semi-intervention), I would say Brobbey pretty much had his hands full (literally) with Bombito too.  Bombito was more often on the losing end of the duels, but he wasn't losing by much and it really wasn't a mismatch.

Now Van de Ven vs. AJ - that was a mismatch. 

13 hours ago, Cicero said:

Intuitively, being more mistake-prone would seem to be the explanation for having older CB's in general, but it's just as much a result of the position being less reliant on speed and fitness in general, so CB's are more effective longer, and thus there just aren't as many spots for young CB's.

Games-played is more important than age in terms of decision making, so the problem is really that since CB's can play longer, it takes young CB's longer to accumulate the necessary experience. But they have to accumulate it somehow, so to get them to the higher level, they're going to make the mistakes regardless, they'll just be spread out over a longer period, because they don't play as much when they're young. If that's true, teams should just bite the bullet and play young CB's as much as possible, live with the mistakes and have a finished product for several more years than they would otherwise.

Barça started Cubarsí at CB the second half of the season, he turned 17 in January. I've rarely seen anything as impressive, it's just mind bending how good he is. And without having particular physical advantages. 

What you are saying, usually CBs need to accumulate lots of game experiences to be ready.

On 6/19/2024 at 10:11 AM, Joe MacCarthy said:

Love this. It's surreal to hear him talk about his moves through the ranks. I'm sure there are many like him in Quebec who have talent and just need an opportunity. Apart from Montreal, we rarely see players from the Quebec City area play for Canada, but there are good clubs and a decent university team there. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

Fuck those guys. Good thing Bombito is gonna be in Europe soon, so Messi can sleep comfortably knowing he’ll never have to play him again. 

Yeah but other Argentines will like Lautaro, Garnacho, Lisandro Martinez, De Paul, Paredes, Emi Martinez, etc

5 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I have always loved watching Messi play, but the McNaughton and Bombito incidents have soured me towards him. I'm just wondering if he ever speaks up about this sort of thing? Or does he accept his fans harassing anyone that touches him?

He is pompous imo. Too much blind worship from fans. I really can't stand his interviews, either. 

12 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I have always loved watching Messi play, but the McNaughton and Bombito incidents have soured me towards him. I'm just wondering if he ever speaks up about this sort of thing? Or does he accept his fans harassing anyone that touches him?

He complained about both incidents I think. Which probably adds flame to the fire.

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Trying to be honest, he has more of a point with this one. But the language he used didn't help.

Celebrity can be a heck of a drug.

I sort of agree.

I actually think he fouled MacNaughton. MacNaughton was making a football play when Messi came in late and got hurt.

The Bombito foul is a pretty standard foul though. I don't think it was super rash

1 minute ago, narduch said:

I sort of agree.

I actually think he fouled MacNaughton. MacNaughton was making a football play when Messi came in late and got hurt.

The Bombito foul is a pretty standard foul though. I don't think it was super rash

I agree on the first completely.

On the second - stud onto the ankle even through the ball can be scary.

But he was okay enough to switch shirts and hug people, that doesn't match  the language then used.