Moise Bombito

phresh

6 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Nice signing Mohamed Abdelmonem, Egyptian CB

Similar resume to Bombito in that he's youngish (25), has never played in Europe (only domestic), and doesn't have a great deal of pro experience, despite having quite a few national team caps (27), possibly indicating he's an important part of his national team, like Bombito.

47 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Similar resume to Bombito in that he's youngish (25), has never played in Europe (only domestic), and doesn't have a great deal of pro experience, despite having quite a few national team caps (27), possibly indicating he's an important part of his national team, like Bombito.

He's expected to be Bombito's partner along with Dante in the back 3.

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Moise vs. Promise.

A very even group, I don't think there are far and away favourites, though Lazio and La Real should be the best bets, and then let's see what Rangers can do alongside Nice.

Seems like you fell into the same trap I did yesterday. There is no point comparing any of these teams to each other. All you need to do is contemplate how Nice may do against all of those teams. How many points can they get and how far up the giant table can they finish?

Lazio and La Real would be their toughest games on paper. Ferencvaros and Elfsborg may be the most winnable, although you could maybe consider Union SG in there as winnable with how they started the season. Rangers, Twente, and the Norwegian champs will likely be a toss up.

Very good games for Moise to play in, regardless of how they do.

Edited by Obinna

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Seems like you fell into the same trap I did yesterday. There is no point comparing any of these teams to each other. All you need to do is contemplate how Nice may do against all of those teams. How many points can they get and how far up the giant table can they finish?

Lazio and La Real would be their toughest games on paper. Ferencvaros and Elfsborg may be the most winnable, although you could maybe consider Union SG in there as winnable with how they started the season. Rangers, Twente, and the Norwegian champs will likely be a toss up.

Very good games for Moise to play in, regardless of how they do.

They do the whole table thing with Europa League also? And Conference? I really had no clue.

It'll take me a while to get used to it. It's a bit random like NCAA scheduling. 

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They do the whole table thing with Europa League also? And Conference? I really had no clue.

It'll take me a while to get used to it. It's a bit random like NCAA scheduling. 

Yes. Only difference I think is that Conference is only 32 teams v 36 teams for Champions and Europa.

Conference is 6 games v 8 games for the other 2 competitions.

I think another big difference is that teams no longer drop down

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A lot more random in that you don't get to either pick home or away nor do you get both. 

It will be interesting to see how the opinions of dedicated supporters shake out over the year. 

On 8/30/2024 at 4:49 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

A lot more random in that you don't get to either pick home or away nor do you get both. 

It will be interesting to see how the opinions of dedicated supporters shake out over the year. 

As a Barça fan regularly playing Champions, it is basically the same or even worse. Yes, there's another top seed team, but there are another 3 lower seed teams, and not all that interesting.

Rarely do we get to see a team of certain prestige or power we haven't seen, so group stage of Champions is not that exciting. I can't think of top teams I haven't seen ever. Despite having some tough years recently, Barça and indeed most top seed teams semi-coast through the group stage. Which is not exciting for fans. Last year we got Royal Antwerp, thrilling.

Then you get to knock-out stages, and those matches are not the best either, because the result is always dependent on the return leg. So you never get to celebrate a result, or even fully enjoy it, unless you are coming back from a first leg deficit or it's tight. I personally think it is better to have eliminated away goals, which turned knockout stages into overly speculative affairs.

In my opinion, if you are in the league title race, every week is very intense and exciting and those games are worth going to. Even against a lesser league side, because it is proven that when you lose a league you could have won, you've likely dropped points to weak teams, even to teams that end up relegating. In the same vein, I find single knock-out Cup matches much more exciting, even when playing away to a lower tier side. They can be unpredictable, a one-off affair is high risk and you can be surprised.

In the Barça group stage, the only good match is Bayern Munich at home. The rest, like Atalanta or Young Boys, don't even have a quirky attraction, they are plain bland. And also because of all the great teams of Europe, our record against BM is the absolute worst, it is in fact our worst rival in history.

It is a total exception to be in a final, of course, whether FA Cup or a European final, that is obvious.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Half watching but I think the closest he is getting to the ball is on set pieces in the attacking end. 

Nice utterly dominant and up 0-2.

Edit: I jinxed it, picked up a yellow. 

You jinxed him 😅🤣😂

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Way to eager trying to cover on a break away. 

Attacker threw himself into him a bit but poor body control. 

Looks like some of his lapses in judgement that he could get away with in MLS because he’s so skilled are harder to cover for in France. Hopefully he doesn’t get sent to the bench when he’s back in the lineup. 

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Looks like some of his lapses in judgement that he could get away with in MLS because he’s so skilled are harder to cover for in France. Hopefully he doesn’t get sent to the bench when he’s back in the lineup. 

I think that’s how he grows though.  He is a young guy in an excellent team and will learn to avoid these sorts of mistakes through disciplined play.   

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think that’s how he grows though.  He is a young guy in an excellent team and will learn to avoid these sorts of mistakes through disciplined play.   

You don't want to see mistakes, but players typically only grow by making those mistakes.  Hopefully he doesn't lose any playing time once he's eligible to return.