Moise Bombito

phresh

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

It's interesting. When Davies transferred to Bayern Munich and had such immediately success, I thought the Bundesliga would become the "top 5" destination for Canadians. Especially since we'd already had other players go there and succeed (Stalteri, Friend, De Jong, etc). Instead, it suddenly seems like League 1 is the spot. Which isn't bad (thought it's definitely #5 of the top 5) it's just not how I thought it would go.

Actually, for much of our player's history, many of our players have congregated in one place more than others.  I think it often had to do with having the same agent or firm for which there didn't seem to be much of a choice in the olden days.  I can remember Canadians in Scotland for a time, Germany (above), Belgium, Holland

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

4 players to Ligue 1 in one window… insane. One window probably tops our entire transfers from 2000 to 2015. 

Reminds me of this (on a lesser scale)

This is probably the greatest Canadian signing day in history. Looks like three Canadians (Will Johnson, Marcel DeJong and Rob Friend) have signed with top tier Dutch clubs in one day.

In addition to DeGuzman, DeJong, Friend and Johnson, former Canadian U20 keeper Josh Wagenaar signed with ADO Den Haag about a month ago

25 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The league stops looking? Too much MLS on the brain. 

The teams have sophisticated scouting networks and everything is circumstantial. No one is going out of their way to sign a player of a certain nationality. 

I'll disagree, sort of. I don't think it's uncommon at all for clubs or leagues to suddenly realize one country has talent that is being undervalued on the market. It's why Celtic signed 4 Japanese players in a short span (1 or 2 transfer windows) when Postecoglou arrived. It's why after a good Copa we're seeing Canadian players move at very reasonable prices to Ligue 1. Clubs and leagues are always looking for inefficiencies in the transfer market, and that can definitely involve targeting a nationality.

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I'll disagree, sort of. I don't think it's uncommon at all for clubs or leagues to suddenly realize one country has talent that is being undervalued on the market. It's why Celtic signed 4 Japanese players in a short span (1 or 2 transfer windows) when Postecoglou arrived. It's why after a good Copa we're seeing Canadian players move at very reasonable prices to Ligue 1. Clubs and leagues are always looking for inefficiencies in the transfer market, and that can definitely involve targeting a nationality.

I was surprised that a Bundesliga club didn't go for Kone when he was at CFM

Glad he made the move this summer. His professional resume is still pretty short, but statistically he's likely about to enter his prime as a player, and his contract thru 2028 buys most of those prime years.

Hoping for him that he can get off on the right foot and play real minutes this season.

Edited by jonovision

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It also helps that Bombito, Kone, and Jonathan David can all speak french.  Their mother tongue is french.   That makes things easier in the dressing room and for integration to the club.  

This could explain the interest from ligue 1 clubs for Canadians.  And could also explain why its tougher for Canadians to to break in in Spain, Italy or Germany.   

Edited by Free kick

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

Am I the only one that thinks he may not be ready of this level?

I am not worried. He's signed until 2028 and from what I can tell, OGC Nice had a big fat hole to fill in the RCB position and Bombito was who they chose to fill it. They are betting on him and he's going to get a LOT of runway. He'll be learning on the job, but considering how quickly he's progressed with Canada, I am not worried.

20 minutes ago, narduch said:

He is ready, but it’s hard to trust the European set up.  They are still living in the 50’s, 60’s , and 70’s re:  North American talent.  The Canadian talent is at par with the European talent at certain positions on the pitch.  Anyone who doubts this, just take a look at how the world has caught up with the American talent in basketball.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I have big reservations. He has all the physical tools required, but he has trouble reading the play. Some of his highlights (e.g. Rondon in the all-star game) come as a result of a bad decision where he bails himself out with his godly athleticism. His ceiling is so high but he needs to play to reach it, hopefully he cuts down on the errors enough to earn his manager's trust. One positive thing is that it looks like Nice have little CB depth after Todibo's departure.

1 minute ago, El Diego said:

I have big reservations. He has all the physical tools required, but he has trouble reading the play. Some of his highlights (e.g. Rondon in the all-star game) come as a result of a bad decision where he bails himself out with his godly athleticism. His ceiling is so high but he needs to play to reach it, hopefully he cuts down on the errors enough to earn his manager's trust. One positive thing is that it looks like Nice have little CB depth after Todibo's departure.

I agree with this. 

I think it's going to be more a case of Nice having little CB depth more than Bombito cleaning things up quickly. But that said, I still think he'll be a success one way or another. Nice will probably have to endure a few mistakes in the early part of the season, but come mid season he may have really learn't to deal with these things better. 

Is he ready for Ligue 1? Well he only has a half MLS season of experience playing CB and 7 games vs very high quality teams this summer with Canada & Copa where he had to defend vs some of the top stikers in the game. I'm assuming that despite him being short on experience and still requiring further development to his game, he has impressed enough scouts/clubs in Europe to garner the type of interest we have read about. Playing next to Dante should help and he seems like an astute young man, so with good coaching he should be able to adjust his positional play.  Davies' positional play is also questionable at times but he has the pace to recover.  I'm betting on Bombito to succeed. 

Maybe he gets to Nice and after a time it doesn't work out. Here's the thing: another club in Europe will almost certainly still take a chance on him. They'll see everything Nice saw and figure they're the ones to unlock his potential (plus, now he'll have European experience). I have no idea where this goes for him, but it's still a good career move.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Well fuck now I have to "convince" the wife to go to Nice to watch Bombito play...

Nice is a great town.  Lots of things to do there beyond football.  My wife loves it so wouldn’t have a great difficulty convincing her to go there. Most premier league cities beyond London are another thing.

30 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Nice is a great town.  Lots of things to do there beyond football.  My wife loves it so wouldn’t have a great difficulty convincing her to go there. Most premier league cities beyond London are another thing.

Nice was one of the stops on my honeymoon. We both loved it. Went to the club shop on the trip but balked at the price (which by today's standards would have been dirt cheap).

7 hours ago, narduch said:

For me it's more like: stop showing me highlight reels where Moise out of position and caught on this wrong foot makes an amazing sprint to cut off the attack. Like we got with Davies at the start.

Just be in the right place from the start, react properly, work with your CB partner, and save me the highlight reel.

7 hours ago, Free kick said:

It also helps that Bombito, Kone, and Jonathan David can all speak french.  Their mother tongue is french.   That makes things easier in the dressing room and for integration to the club.  

This could explain the interest from ligue 1 clubs for Canadians.  And could also explain why its tougher for Canadians to to break in in Spain, Italy or Germany.   

Or England!

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I seem to be the only one that still questions whether he does have all the physical tools. He's clearly rapid, but I still have PTSD over Brobbey bullying him in the game against the Netherlands. I think he still needs to figure out how to play against physical strikers, but there aren't too many that play like Brobbey 

Edited by Aird25