Moise Bombito

phresh

I hope a move goes through but it feels like Colorado's valuation of him far exceeds what clubs are willing to pay for a guy who is essentially in his second year as a professional.

On 7/17/2024 at 3:31 PM, dyslexic nam said:

With very little (no) evidence, I think this has been the downfall of some of our brighter talents.   Guys like Nelson or JMR are not fighting for minutes against a wide swath of guys who are just as hungry but maybe not quite as talented - they are prematurely anointed and treated like they have already achieved it.  

Call it the Adu Effect.  But I feel you've nailed something here. 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I hope a move goes through but it feels like Colorado's valuation of him far exceeds what clubs are willing to pay for a guy who is essentially in his second year as a professional.

He was really good in Copa. He kept elevating as the tournament progressed. You could be right, but I also think there could be teams nervous who want to pull the trigger and not miss out on signing him

On 7/16/2024 at 6:48 PM, solsous said:

Marsch is certainly on to something here.  It seems to me that Canada soccer needs to create a model that quickly identify top talent.  Once the talent is identified,  then stack one or two teams with said players,  a la Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Chivas.  Too many leagues in North America has gone the way of American football by attempting to spread the talent pool evenly.  

Soccer organizations have foolishly followed that model to no avail.  Ultimately, soccer is an international sport, and a country is measured by its international success.   For Canada soccer to better identify /develop a player such as Bombito, it will benefit by keeping a player of his stature local  and surround him with similar talent.  Mind you, players should be handsome compensated.  Hey, a man can dream, right?    

The three MLS sides could fund a national training center like INF Clairefontaine for the CSA. Governing it would become an issue if it becomes really good with the American MLS teams wanting to draft from it but it's all hypothetical really.  

On 7/16/2024 at 10:56 PM, Dominic94 said:

Every country will miss players and all systems fail players.

that being said, we have no system and we do not have a development model nor pyramid. 

the next 5-10 years will see Canadians get more looks and opportunities, but we’ve got to be better in our backyard.

We have a pyramid, it's just haphazard is all. 

Edited by Macksam

One MLS owner gave USSF US$50m to build their training centre in Atlanta by 2026. It's also going to serve as the new headquarters of USSF. Coke also provided $5m.

It's going to be called Arthur M. Blank U.S. Soccer National Training Center. Unlike with Marsch MLS branding, no American got all twisted about this other than thinking Blank was trying to get the World Cup Final in Atlanta.

On 7/20/2024 at 6:23 PM, red card said:

One MLS owner gave USSF US$50m to build their training centre in Atlanta by 2026. It's also going to serve as the new headquarters of USSF. Coke also provided $5m.

It's going to be called Arthur M. Blank U.S. Soccer National Training Center. Unlike with Marsch MLS branding, no American got all twisted about this other than thinking Blank was trying to get the World Cup Final in Atlanta.

That's a good thing.

IMO, the three Canadian MLS sides should do the same thing here and make it so the players coming out of it become draft eligible at the age of 16+.  

7 minutes ago, ahmedou said:

I'd like for him to do another season in Colorado.

The MLS is a great development league. 

I don't want him to rush.

What about a purchase and loan, like Buchanan did at Brugge? Sign the deal now and get loaned to Colorado for the remainder of the season?

The Rapids are sitting in a playoff spot and Bombito can use the reps. Lyon may be searching far and wide for a loan destination after he rejected Botafogo, but you could just let him be. Everyone wins.

On 7/20/2024 at 3:23 PM, red card said:

I personally think a National Training Centre is useless. If there is a small stadium built in it as a CSA base, then it is not entirely useless. Otherwise, a waste of money and entirely misdirected. 

Just impose promotion and relegation at the top of youth tiers, nationally, so the fraudulent soccer clubs making unjustifiable claims can be tested. 

I would also put a cap on fees charged to families, who are being scammed. Let the kids compete on a level ground: that is the national training centre. 

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just impose promotion and relegation at the top of youth tiers, nationally, so the fraudulent soccer clubs making unjustifiable claims can be tested. 

I agree with everything you said, except this. I've watched how these games go between teams who play provincially and teams who play in MLS Next, and it's almost always a brutal outcome for the local teams, and that's usually with the local teams being older. These clubs do get tested, and prevail with ease. I'd like to give this example. Toronto FC U-19s were playing in League 1 Reserves last fall, with nearly the whole roster being 2006 for TFC. Bear in mind, a few guys were missing because they were with TFC2 as well, so not at full strength. They faced the previous season's League 1 Reserves champions, Rush Academy. The score was 8-0 for TFC. This was Rush Academy's only loss of the regular season, the rest were wins. Vaughan Azzurri SC, another local powerhouse, also fell 8-0 to TFC. People criticize TFC for a lot of things, much of it warranted. But I really do disagree with the notion that they don't find the vast majority of the best players at these ages, at least in recent years, but we just haven't seen that translate to the men's national team yet. I'd be very surprised if we still have as many CANMNT contributors in their early 20s from the provincial clubs as we do now. Where TFC is screwing up is what they do with the players as they transition to the pro game. But the specific point you're making here is wrong IMO. I think this narrative comes a lot from bitter parents based on the discussions I've had with them in Ontario and what I've overheard, and a lot of people believe it because it places blame easily on a common enemy. If MLS academies played locally at all age groups, it wouldn't be enough of a challenge for them, especially as the kids get older.

15 hours ago, ahmedou said:

I'd like for him to do another season in Colorado.

The MLS is a great development league. 

I don't want him to rush.

I assume when you say that, you mean finish the 2024 season in MLS?

7 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

The OneSoccer panel weighs in on the issue and brings up many good points:

Haven't seen much of Conway on OneSoccer before. Andi Petrillo's husband and former TFC GK coach. He seemed pretty anti-TFC and pro-L1O. Hard to know what his bias is though, did he have a rough break with TFC or just an amicable parting of ways when Herdman came in?

53 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Haven't seen much of Conway on OneSoccer before. Andi Petrillo's husband and former TFC GK coach. He seemed pretty anti-TFC and pro-L1O. Hard to know what his bias is though, did he have a rough break with TFC or just an amicable parting of ways when Herdman came in?

Well, he did have a front row seat for the absolute shit show TFC development has been.  Perhaps there is no ill-intent and he's just calling it like he sees it.

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

Have to say, to my mind, they absolutely nailed it.  They echoed discussions that have repeatedly happen elsewhere on these forums.

TFC, MLS in general, coming into criticism for development shortcomings isn't a marker for negative bias.  It's exercising critical thinking based on real world experiences.

6 hours ago, costarg said:

Well, he did have a front row seat for the absolute shit show TFC development has been.  Perhaps there is no ill-intent and he's just calling it like he sees it.

That "absolute shitshow" still managed to produce Jacob Shaffelburg and Jacen Russell-Rowe in recent times so that they are playing as domestic players in the United States in MLS. Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty may not be living up to the hype but he is still going to have a solid career at that level. A more balanced response to Jesse Marsch's comments would have mentioned that but if your employer is going to be controlled by Timeless Inc. (CEO: Scott Mitchell) moving forward you are going to sing a certain tune if you want to hang around. Worth noting that Moise Bombito, Ismael Kone and Ali Ahmed have all emerged onto the scene post-2019 without being anywhere near CanPL but MLS is supposed to just get out of the way? If Onesoccer was an impartial news source Oliver Gage's tweets would have rated a mention.

Development in Canada is an extension of the US/MLS development, and looking at the players in the Copa America illustrates that. I think this type of development has pluses and minuses.

Plus

Most players are not ready to be full-time pros until their early 20s.

We can piggyback on the US development system, which has produced many good players.

Minus

Elite players can find it challenging to break through and get playing time.

Playing for any pro league will end your NCAA eligibility.

St. Clair - College

Crepeau - MLS Montreal

McGill – Europe

Johnson - College

de Fougerolles - Europe

Miller - College

Waterman - Can lower leagues

Cornelius -Can lower leagues/ Europe

Bombito - College

Davies - MLS Vancouver

Laryea - College

Ahmed - MLS Vancouver

Hiebert – College

Piette - Europe

Eustáquio - Europe

Kone - Can lower leagues/MLS Montreal

Osorio - South America

Choinière - MLS Montreal

Larin - college

David - Europe

Bair - MLS Whitecaps

Russell-Rowe - MLS Toronto/College

Shaffelburg - MLS Toronto

Millar - Europe

Tani - College

9 college

8 MLS

7 Europe

3 Can lower leagues

1 South America

The best thing for Canadian development would be for the CPL to make itself a viable avenue for players to go to Europe. The more players that get sold to Europe, the more players will be willing to develop in Canadian clubs rather than in college.

I think it is about making professional football more viable so the top talents go pro and the people who might be late bloomers go to college.

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

I think Ahmed and Shaffelburg were both Can lower leagues (and for Ahmed, Europe as well), before MLS as they both only played for the second team and not in the youth academies.

Johnston too, no?  Played for Vaughan in L1O under Gheisar.

3 hours ago, finchster said:

Development in Canada is an extension of the US/MLS development, and looking at the players in the Copa America illustrates that. I think this type of development has pluses and minuses.

Plus

Most players are not ready to be full-time pros until their early 20s.

We can piggyback on the US development system, which has produced many good players.

Minus

Elite players can find it challenging to break through and get playing time.

Playing for any pro league will end your NCAA eligibility.

St. Clair - College

Crepeau - MLS Montreal

McGill – Europe

Johnson - College

de Fougerolles - Europe

Miller - College

Waterman - Can lower leagues

Cornelius -Can lower leagues/ Europe

Bombito - College

Davies - MLS Vancouver

Laryea - College

Ahmed - MLS Vancouver

Hiebert – College

Piette - Europe

Eustáquio - Europe

Kone - Can lower leagues/MLS Montreal

Osorio - South America

Choinière - MLS Montreal

Larin - college

David - Europe

Bair - MLS Whitecaps

Russell-Rowe - MLS Toronto/College

Shaffelburg - MLS Toronto

Millar - Europe

Tani - College

9 college

8 MLS

7 Europe

3 Can lower leagues

1 South America

The best thing for Canadian development would be for the CPL to make itself a viable avenue for players to go to Europe. The more players that get sold to Europe, the more players will be willing to develop in Canadian clubs rather than in college.

I think it is about making professional football more viable so the top talents go pro and the people who might be late bloomers go to college.

Nice research and good points my only quibble is you bothered to specify Canadian lower leagues but you didn't specify American college.