Moise Bombito

phresh

He also has the benefit of posessing raw attributes that can’t be replicated by most players.  Pace may not be the top requirement for a CB, but Bombito is quite literally one of the fastest players in the world right now.  That sort of thing gives coaches tactical possibilities that simply don’t exist with other players.  Throw in the fact that he is a solid aerial threat on set pieces and you can see why a European team might see him as a hidden gem - even if it still needs some polishing.  

1 hour ago, Soccerpro2 said:

People need to pump the breaks.

He's nowhere the finished product ready for a step up. European clubs don't sign foreign CB's for "potential".  He's done some good things this year but if you've regularly watched him in MLS, he has a lot of work to do on his positioning and awareness.

I’ve been pretty bullish in this thread about his potential and I’ll stand by that. I won’t speculate about his club future but he’s already a borderline MLS all star. That’s pretty impressive for a second year CB out of the super draft. I think the excitement is also amplified by the fact that we’ve been sorely lacking in high calibre talent at his position. 

Edited by FC_Hali

1 hour ago, pod818 said:

It’s a very strange post from Watford twitter. Unless they really plan to sign him

It's part of a longer video

My big cynic, Watford-frustrated part thinks the club see Kone in the some sort of world football news, see ££££££ and want to roll with the hype in as many ways as possible.

But Kone seems to know one of the social media guys and maybe they are just doing him a solid. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

He also has the benefit of posessing raw attributes that can’t be replicated by most players.  Pace may not be the top requirement for a CB, but Bombito is quite literally one of the fastest players in the world right now.  That sort of thing gives coaches tactical possibilities that simply don’t exist with other players.  Throw in the fact that he is a solid aerial threat on set pieces and you can see why a European team might see him as a hidden gem - even if it still needs some polishing.  

He is also good on the ball.  
I think when people say Europe, they are not saying top 5 league (other than possibly lower tier Ligue 1 maybe). He has to go somewhere where they like all his raw skills and his temperament and believe they can shape that over the next couple of years into something more complete that they can sell to one of those leagues.  Maybe a Belgium or a Dutch or Portuguese side. 

2 minutes ago, An Observer said:

He is also good on the ball.  
I think when people say Europe, they are not saying top 5 league (other than possibly lower tier Ligue 1 maybe). He has to go somewhere where they like all his raw skills and his temperament and believe they can shape that over the next couple of years into something more complete that they can sell to one of those leagues.  Maybe a Belgium or a Dutch or Portuguese side. 

Those are the tiers of league I would see him in as a next step - though I often consider Ligue 1 closer to those leagues than the top 4.  If you bracket out PSG, which skews things, the other top French teams are closer to the other 2nd tier elite clubs IMO.  

Similar to what others have said, he has all the physical tools necessary to be a top CB. Adding to it, he seems calm on the ball. Awareness is a big part of being a CH, but he's very young and if I'm a football director in Norway or Belgium, I'm banking on my development system being able to teach him that.

47 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Those are the tiers of league I would see him in as a next step - though I often consider Ligue 1 closer to those leagues than the top 4.  If you bracket out PSG, which skews things, the other top French teams are closer to the other 2nd tier elite clubs IMO.  

I don't like ligue 1 for him as it is more physical, more similar to what he has, whereas he needs to go into a more technical and tactical setup where he'll really grow.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't like ligue 1 for him as it is more physical, more similar to what he has, whereas he needs to go into a more technical and tactical setup where he'll really grow.

A good league for Bombito to play in would be Turkish Super Lig or playing in Portugal

5 hours ago, costarg said:

Neither was Kone.

Most teams are looking for that diamond in the rough that'll make them million$.  If he was the finished product he wouldn't still be playing in MLS.  CB's normally develop later than other positions.  Lots of teams will be knocking on the door.  He won't hit the same level he can if he stays in MLS, EU will develop him to the next level.

CB is a position that is a lot less forgiving than CM, or any other position up the field. It’s far easier to take a chance on a project when their mistake doesn’t lead to a goal.

9 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

CB is a position that is a lot less forgiving than CM, or any other position up the field. It’s far easier to take a chance on a project when their mistake doesn’t lead to a goal.

It only appears that way because the CB is the last link in the defensive chain, but in reality, if your CM isn't effective, their mistakes can lead to just as many goals. Case in point, see Michael Bradley as CM for Toronto last season. 

16 hours ago, pod818 said:

It’s a very strange post from Watford twitter. Unless they really plan to sign him

Watford also tagged the official CanMNT in the post and the way Kone mentioned him it seemed cheeky. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is more to it. 

Bunch of Watford fans commenting the same - so obviously an atypical post from their club. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

It only appears that way because the CB is the last link in the defensive chain, but in reality, if your CM isn't effective, their mistakes can lead to just as many goals. Case in point, see Michael Bradley as CM for Toronto last season. 

None of what you say changes the fact CBs are judged more harshly for individual mistakes, due to the fact they more often lead to goals being conceded, and therefore make coaches more reluctant to play them if they arent the finished product. 

17 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

None of what you say changes the fact CBs are judged more harshly for individual mistakes, due to the fact they more often lead to goals being conceded, and therefore make coaches more reluctant to play them if they arent the finished product. 

I agree.  I would also add, centre-half can be traditionally more of an older player's postion because so much of it is mental/learned.  One of the really exciting things about Bombito is his weaknesses are things that many defenders can phase out with experience. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

23 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I agree.  I would also add, centre-half can be traditionally more of an older player's postion because so much of it is mental/learned.  One of the really exciting things about Bombito is his weaknesses are things that many defenders can phase out with experience. 

He probably won't run into too many players like Brobbey, but he was completely outmatched and had no answer

13 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

He probably won't run into too many players like Brobbey, but he was completely outmatched and had no answer

That's a case in point if a little over the top - "no answer" says Brobbey makes more of a contribution to the scoreline, for me.  Him being the central striker and all. 

Brobbey is not bigger or stronger than him or even faster.  He used a lower centre of gravity well but mostly it was just smart, crafty play (that made use of good physical skills.) 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

13 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

That's a case in point if a little over the top - "no answer" says Brobbey makes more of a contribution to the scoreline, for me.  Him being the central striker and all. 

Brobbey is not bigger or stronger than him or even faster.  He used a lower centre of gravity well but mostly it was just smart, crafty play (that made use of good physical skills.) 

and a willingness to foul constantly and persistently and bet (correctly) that the ref will be reluctant to call all of them.

That's not a bet that the defending player can afford to make.