Brandon Cambridge

Xavier.

Brandon Cambridge

- 02/09/2002 (20)

- Midfielder

- Hometown: Surrey, BC

Signed a homegrown contract with Charlotte FC (2024 with option years in 2025 and 2026)

https://www.charlottefootballclub.com/news/charlotte-fc-signs-university-of-portland-midfielder-brandon-cambridge?utm_source=organic_social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=player_signing_2023&utm_content=post

Edited by Xavier.

Interesting. Never heard of him, but according to the MLS website, he was named offensive player of the year in his conference last season and amassed 29 goal contributions in 42 career games for Portland.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/charlotte-fc-sign-brandon-cambridge-after-acquiring-homegrown-rights-from-vancou

Edited by phresh

14 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

attended an ID camp in the past

Young Bunbury went to an ID camp without a Canadian passport and Davies went to youth camps before he got citizenship.

...but, yes, if he was in camp then the CSA believes there is a strong connection to Canada at a minimum.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

4 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Young Bunbury went to an ID camp without a Canadian passport and Davies went to youth camps before he got citizenship.

...but, yes, if he was in camp then the CSA believes there is a strong connection to Canada at a minimum.

He has a Canadian passport…I seen it in a video he posted on YouTube of his time in Oregon.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

They paid for another teams homegrown, and then signed him. They clearly think he can play and this isn’t a throwaway signing

This isn’t the first time this has happened. It’s not impossible that he won’t play, but it’s highly unlikely (I obviously hope I’m wrong)

I think Andrew Gutman is the only player who’s gotten substantial game time with a team that traded for his hg rights, and I think that was because he didn’t want to sign for the Fire IIRC.

This has been happening since 2012…remember when the rapids traded for Josh Janneire rights from TFC? …and he played 0 games.

Its a punt. Because if they were a top prospect their parent club would sign them….but we’ve heard nothing about this kid. To which I hope he turns out like Tajon. 

• 3 months later...

The problem for us is that we need camps similar to what we did in 2016 and 2017 to identify talent at the u23 level. This is how MAK was identified for the MNT, which then lead to LAFC. How do we get a look at a player like this who has graduated from all youth levels and doesn’t seem close to the ‘A’ MNT?

Just because we have a nice core now doesn’t mean we should slow down. Although I recognize the financial constraints it would be nice to have a u23 and/or domestic camp. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The problem for us is that we need camps similar to what we did in 2016 and 2017 to identify talent at the u23 level. This is how MAK was identified for the MNT, which then lead to LAFC. How do we get a look at a player like this who has graduated from all youth levels and doesn’t seem close to the ‘A’ MNT?

Just because we have a nice core now doesn’t mean we should slow down. Although I recognize the financial constraints it would be nice to have a u23 and/or domestic camp. 

I remember following France in the 80s. every time they had an A friendly, immediately before or after the A game, there would be a B game against the same International opponent.  Expensive, but gives a lot of exposure for players on the National A team bubble.

• 1 month later...