Gold Cup 2023

3 of 4 teams that made it to the semis were "A" teams and 2 of those 3 are in the finals. I'm not sure we would have been able to win vs Panama had we won on PKs vs the US. Panama with the same team we played in NL. Looks like  teams in Concacaf, outside of the big 2/3/4 have stepped up a level or two. In the past a US B team would have made it to the finals. 

2 hours ago, mrstepp817 said:

Jalen Neal will probably step up since he's just 19

I thought he was terrible all tournament except for the games against countries with negative populations, if some body like Long or Miazga played like he did US fans would be ripping on him so hard. It was just 1 tournament but I wouldn’t be so confident he becomes anything special

1 hour ago, Jack1997 said:

I thought he was terrible all tournament except for the games against countries with negative populations, if some body like Long or Miazga played like he did US fans would be ripping on him so hard. It was just 1 tournament but I wouldn’t be so confident he becomes anything special

I'm willing to give a pass when you are 19...Long is 30 and Miazga is 27 so they are much more finished products, thus subject to more scrutiny for sure

On 7/13/2023 at 2:35 PM, Kadenge said:

3 of 4 teams that made it to the semis were "A" teams and 2 of those 3 are in the finals. I'm not sure we would have been able to win vs Panama had we won on PKs vs the US. Panama with the same team we played in NL. Looks like  teams in Concacaf, outside of the big 2/3/4 have stepped up a level or two. In the past a US B team would have made it to the finals. 

Love that kid from Houston he’s a baller!

Panama competes admirably, it'd be great for the region if they won. 

We beat them in Nation's League. We had a similar result vs the US, only a penalty kick difference. I appreciate if they push up in rankings it doesn't benefit us, it complicates things, but seeing Mexico and the US beatable also is better for us in the longer term.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Mexican fans are phenomenal. Their passion and support is insane...literally lol. 70000 for the Gold Cup. Just wow. Have to also respect their organization for sending pretty much their best knowing full well Canada and the USA wouldn't bother. Whatever you think of this comp it is still the biggest and most prestigious in our region atm, and clearly provides a decently high level of football and atmosphere. Mexico knows it, all the Central American and Caribbean teams know it. So I guess my question is, wtf is our problem? We're already too good for this tourney?