Gold Cup 2023

49 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

My point was that canada is clearly better in every position except for wanyama. Therefore we are much better than montreal who is mid table. I would say we would be a top mls team and the USA would be a step higher than mls. 

It is somewhat splitting hairs because @Obinnamakes alot of good points. 

Yes and likewise! More of a friendly debate than an argument, I would say. And the more we discussed the more it became clear we were on the same page!

1 hour ago, narduch said:

One Soccer has made the CPL games that conflict with the Gold Cup free to view on YouTube this weekend. 

Meaning all 4 quarter finals will be available on One Soccer and Fubo 

I guess this confirms the York United vs Forge game won't be moved due to the conflict with Canada vs USA. I was really looking forward to that game, and was considering going to it, but I have to prioritize the Gold Cup quarterfinal over it and will have to catch the York game on youtube afterwards. Anyways, I'm glad the Fubo subscribers have an option to watch both.

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Really interesting how Guatemala's recruitment has come down largely to one really big fan who helps find players.

Old story that keeps getting rehashed.

The MOACB collectively have done more work. We’ve probably just had more  disappointment.

For the 2025 gold cup, I'm assuming many teams will be fine tuning their squads in preparation for 2026.  Likely we will more full strength lineups and less experimentation? 

As for inviting other teams, I'm guessing there could be competition for who wants to appear in this, since the invite would give them concacaf experience and acclimation to the venues and travel for 2026.  Hopefully a stronger nation will be picked.

Edited by cornerkick

So apparently the USA has only not made the semi finals of the Gold Cup 1 time, in the year 2000 (which is memorable for Canadian fans for a different reason). That would make it extra sweet if we could pick up the unexpected win tomorrow and eliminate the USA.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

So apparently the USA has only not made the semi finals of the Gold Cup 1 time, in the year 2000 (which is memorable for Canadian fans for a different reason). That would make it extra sweet if we could pick up the unexpected win tomorrow and eliminate the USA.

P.S. The 2000 Gold Cup was from the era where USA and Mexico couldn't face each other unless they both made it to the final, because they purposefully avoided any cross over in the knockout round. The 2000 Gold Cup was the worst performance for USA (5th) and Mexico (7th) ever. The Mexican team has lost before the semi final 3 times ever, in close succession. Champions 6 out of 9 tournaments, and lost in the quarter finals 3 of the other 4 years. Their quarter final losses were to Canada, South Korea, and Colombia. So we are the only CONCACAF nation to beat them in the quarter finals!

image.png.73ab0b8682e6dff319728460b879cb9e.png

7 hours ago, narduch said:

Panama leading Qatar 4-0 in the 66th minute.

I don't often cheer for Panama, but when I do, I like to see them kick the f* out of Qatar at the Gold Cup.

But in seriousness, if Herdman moves on at some point, I would take Thomas Christiansen as a replacement, Panama seems like the best coached team in Concacaf at the moment, luckily Berhalter is coming back for the US to help keep that a true statement.