Gold Cup 2023

12 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

There have been rumblings about JH losing the locker room. I wonder if we should read two major players agreeing to play in the GC then deciding to drop out after Nations League as evidence of that. 

I disagree with this, Eustaquio has pre season during the cup and Adekugbe is currently unattached in my opinion it is very likely they just agreed to be put on the roster and if available they would play but knew it was a possibility they would have to drop out. The more concerning part to me is that Fraser is still getting called.

18 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Seriously though. Downright embarrassing that he continues to call Fraser given his club situation. Justin Smith would have been a better call.

I’d bring in Sean Young and demonstrate that you actually support the project that could have the biggest influence on soccer in this country going forward. That would likely help move the needle in terms of support, and potentially help mend the CSB controversy chatter. He’s good enough, and he’ll likely be in MLS or Europe once the window opens anyways

Edited by Aird25

4 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

I disagree with this, Eustaquio has pre season during the cup and Adekugbe is currently unattached in my opinion it is very likely they just agreed to be put on the roster and if available they would play but knew it was a possibility they would have to drop out. The more concerning part to me is that Fraser is still getting called.

Jnr is also out of contract. Don't think he signed with Huddersfield yet? Unless Adekugbe has left to sign with a new club, wouldn't a strong performance in the GC help him?

Glad Nelson is coming in, but this is really dispelling the theory he was left out initially to focus on club. Seems more to me like he just simply didn't make it and was on the cusp.

Fraser you could technically say ditto, but I get the feeling he's being brought because he is a Herdman guy. JH has always had time for Fraser, even when his club level and forum haven't warranted a call.

Speaking of Fraser, I wonder what his club situation is. He should be able to play at least as a depth guy for a team in the Belgium top division. With Dienze having a bad season, is there a chance he moves?

Fraser takes come down to the optics with his club situation. Liam playing for a first division side would see a drop in the haters. And I do consider myself in this category because I find him an underwhelming call, to be frank.

On the other hand, he's on the right side of 25 with 15 caps to build on, so that's positive.

So with Sam out who starts at LB? Do we put Richie there and start ZBG? Do we shift Miller to LB considering how many CBs we have? Bombito can play at LB too, no?

Miller has come under criticism for his limitations, but maybe giving him a run at LB could be a good thing. Or at least we could learn whether he can still play there effectively. One of his weaknesses is dealing with penetrating passes, or preventing them, so maybe those weaknesses get lessened with him playing at LB and not LCB or CB?

As a fan I would rather see Richie on the left, ZBG on the right. 

12 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

is them being out due to injuries true or just usual glass half full speculation from AGR?

Remember that the Gold Cup Regulations s. 10.1, require  that the "best" 🤣players be named, subject  to fines or other sanctions, even  if they  are not always  enforced. Then, they continue with  a calvacade ofmore regulations relating to provisional and later lists relating to various circumstances for exclusion and replacement. I understand that the different associations have to play  various games and juump through hoops just to comply with these ridiculous regulations. The lists are often like Ptomekin villages for appearance sake. The Gold Cup is all  about smoke and mirrors.

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

So with Sam out who starts at LB? Do we put Richie there and start ZBG? Do we shift Miller to LB considering how many CBs we have? Bombito can play at LB too, no?

Miller has come under criticism for his limitations, but maybe giving him a run at LB could be a good thing. Or at least we could learn whether he can still play there effectively. One of his weaknesses is dealing with penetrating passes, or preventing them, so maybe those weaknesses get lessened with him playing at LB and not LCB or CB?

As a fan I would rather see Richie on the left, ZBG on the right. 

Kennedy can also play LB. Personally I’d like to have seen Edwards here. He was our best player against Bahrain and has been a regular for LAG for over a year.

43 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Also, forget Choiniere… wtf did Kaye do to Herdman to now be a 9th choice CM? 

He has been reading the reviews of Kayes play on the TFC thread.  But seriously, why is Fraser in there...ughh I guess we are not as deep as we thought.   A couple injuries, some guys take a tournie off and Fraser is right back in there.  I guess we'll see pretty quick how good Lutori and Ahmed are on the big stage.  I'm with Nam on this, might as well go all in on the blooding new guys and experimenting, cause there is no way we are going to compete with USA/JAM/MEX with this lineup.  

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

What a horrendous roster..I actually have tickets to the game tomorrow but that coupled with the opposition, weather forecast and general shitty state of the CSA has me feeling down. I cant remember being less enthused about attending a CanMNT match - even in the dark days of the program

None of Sirois Choinière Farsi Abzi Jebbison is hugely disappointing 

Nelson I’m cool with it but Fraser c’mon man…

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

What a horrendous roster..I actually have tickets to the game tomorrow but that coupled with the opposition, weather forecast and general shitty state of the CSA has me feeling down. I cant remember being less enthused about attending a CanMNT match - even in the dark days of the program

Dont say that...you'll prob get to see the future of the program, hopefully debuts for 3-4 guys.  New chapter in the story and all that baloney eh??  Remember all of us out in WPG, Regina, Halifax, St Johns etc who arent going to get a chance to see them, good roster or not, be loud and proud for us!!!  

Not to dismiss the brilliant glory of 2000 GC and 1985 WCQs in the  midst of the "dark days", but surely a factor was that other associations were not calling their strongest players or were (in the case especially of Central America) in complicated situations like the CSA now. We saw this summer coming if we really looked.

14 minutes ago, Floortom said:

It is simple then, don't go if you feel that way, there is no guarantees when you buy your ticket that it won't be raining and I think most of us knew this was going to be an experimental roster, absurdly I am looking forward to it!😀

3 minutes ago, gator said:

It is simple then, don't go if you feel that way, there is no guarantees when you buy your ticket that it won't be raining and I think most of us knew this was going to be an experimental roster, absurdly I am looking forward to it!😀

It certainly will be worth it if JH starts or gives decent mins to some of the newbies

Herdman will want a win. Not sure how much experimenting he will do.Think he starts with the experience first.  Maybe something like this 

—————Millar———Cavalinni———

———————-Hoilett——————-

Laryea——-Loturi——Osorio——ZBG

——-Kennedy——Vitoria——-Zator——

————————Borjan——————

*Subs*
-Wotherspoon for Hoilett 

-McGraw for Vitoria 

-Miller for Kennedy 

-JRR/Brym for Cavalinni 

-Shaffelburg for Millar 

I would like to see more new faces rather than marching out Hoilett, Vitoria and Borjan. Channeling my inner Herdman. 

Tear me apart lads 

Edited by canuckgbp