Gold Cup 2023

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Jamaica's strongest side in a while is struggling against a US C team. That's pretty embarassing.

Last-second commits from England will always present challenges for Jamaica having cohesion. When the EPL season is in full swing, I imagine some of their guys will be "injured" when it's time to fly to Central America.

Jamaica had the lead for most of the game but they made costly mistakes namely the Leon Bailey penalty miss which would have put them up 2-0 and that costly give away right in the box to Vasquez which allowed him to tie the game...but beyond that Jamaica were okay I guess but could have been better 

26 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I had a pretty different read on the way they played and the level of challenge it would be for us if we faced them. 

I don't know. They didn't threaten much, and for all the talent they have, once again they can't put it together against a US C team.

Now that I say that though watch Antonio get a hat-trick on Borjan.

Edited by VinceA

7 hours ago, VinceA said:

I don't know. They didn't threaten much, and for all the talent they have, once again they can't put it together against a US C team.

Now that I say that though watch Antonio get a hat-trick on Borjan.

By the time we play them, they will have had 3 games to gel.

Keep in my that that front attack, and midfield has never/barely played with eachother. 

45 minutes ago, Shway said:

By the time we play them, they will have had 3 games to gel.

Keep in my that that front attack, and midfield has never/barely played with eachother. 

Was thinking the same thing.  That’s why I was hoping for a Jamaica win last night (avoid them in the QF).

10 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Not a darkhorse when they bring Premier League guys to a competition that some other teams brought their B team to. They're a favorite.

they also started usl and league 2 players so I wouldn’t say so. Usa, Canada, and Mexico are still definitely favoured ahead of them

1 hour ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Last-second commits from England will always present challenges for Jamaica having cohesion. When the EPL season is in full swing, I imagine some of their guys will be "injured" when it's time to fly to Central America.

I'm not sure I can say last minute at this point for a lot of them. 

I personally think you have to look beyond that and judge their coaching and ability to prep a team.

Antonio and Amari Bell are approaching double digit caps at this point. Pinnock who didn't play but is in the squad is similar.  Decordova-Reid has almost twice that. Lembikisa would be just starting to get caps whatever nation he played for.  Demarai Gray is the first brand new former England youth call-up really.

Didn’t get a chance to see the USA vs Jamaica game but reading the comments above, I suggest the documentary “Captains” on Amazon Prime. 

Documents Captains of six different national squads. Andre Blake is featured with Jamaica and he doesn’t shy away from explaining how dysfunctional it’s been with English players joining their national team. It shows how there is “two different teams” and a few of English players treat it “like a holiday”. 

IMG_3527.jpeg

I couldn't decide who would be better to face in the QF, Jamaica or USA, but after watching the opener I am going to say I prefer Jamaica.

Except for Johnston we have all of our first choice defenders and cohesion shouldn't be an issue. Jamaica wasn't able to win the midfield against Morris, Sonora, Sands, so I think Eustaquio, Osorio and whoever (maybe Hoilett or Loturi) could have the advantage there. Going forward is where I have questions about Canada. If we play through the lines and get creative we can do damage, but if we are lofting crosses into the box we are going to struggle. I think Millar could be important for getting around players and getting shots off, same for Brym.

I don't want to face the US in the QF, not even a B/C squad. Turner is still in goal and the team is still solid front to back. They don't have any standouts like Jamaica, but they don't have any holes and that's something Jamaica does have, plus they are at home since Concacaf gives them an eternal advantage. 

Verdict: I prefer Jamaica

The other thing is that Jamaica is not as deep as the USA, so who knows what shape they will be in after the group stage. They expelled a lot of energy against the US and now they have to play two physical rivals. Trinidad in particular is their derby match and that could get chippy. Maybe they lose a few players to cards or injuries. 

Jamaica will be very difficult, but for me they should be the preferred opponent. Either way it will be a good test for Canada.

20 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Didn’t get a chance to see the USA vs Jamaica game but reading the comments above, I suggest the documentary “Captains” on Amazon Prime. 

Documents Captains of six different national squads. Andre Blake is featured with Jamaica and he doesn’t shy away from explaining how dysfunctional it’s been with English players joining their national team. It shows how there is “two different teams” and a few of English players treat it “like a holiday”. 

IMG_3527.jpeg

I guess I would say the situation is a bit different than when that was filmed.

If you grow up in England (like most places) playing football, you dream of going to the World Cup.  I can fully accept players came to Jamaica hunting that glory and little else.

You don't grow up in England dreaming of going to the Gold Cup.  The English-born players that have been there for a few games now, I would think have something else going on.

I just look at the player I know well.  Michail Antonio is probably not going to make it to the next World Cup.  He doesn't need to put himself in the shop window. He has fitness issues. He is mercurial at the best of times but  if he has come again, I think you should be able make a very good team with players like him.