Gold Cup 2023

25 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

I’ll be cheering for Guyana (although I think they’re a big  underdog) so we don’t miss out on FIFA points.

I'm also supporting them because of Johnny Grant and Marcus Simmons.

And less so Emery Welshman because he's never come off good to me.

36 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

I’ll be cheering for Guyana (although I think they’re a big  underdog) so we don’t miss out on FIFA points.

I don't think "big underdog" is right.

Guadeloupe is 158th in the ELO rankings and Guyana is 162th - with Guadeloupe being 21 points ahead.  For context, Sweden is 15 points ahead of Canada and Canada 20 points ahead of Norway - all relatively even matches. 

This is what I personally want to see for the group stage games, I would like to see lots of rotation especially in the back line and GK although I doubt that really happens 

Game 1:

Borja
Laryea Vitoria Miller Adekugbe

Staq

Osorio Hoilet

Byrm      Cavallini   Shaf

Game 2:

St. Clair

Bombito Mcgraw Kennedy

Laryea Staq Loturi Wotherspoon Millar

JRR  Brym

Game 3:

Mcgill

ZBG Zator Miller Adekugbe

Loturi   

Ahmed Osorio 

Hoilett Cavallini Shaf

29 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I'm not saying we could drop a result to Guadeloupe. I'm saying They have some guys who probably make our team, and one who could be a starter.

Their goal scorer today plays for Torino, although sparingly. Couple decent Ligue 1 players as well. 

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

Full time Guadalupe wins 

So no FIFA points for us. Someone needs to get Guadeloupe, Martinique, and French Guiana into FIFA.

But at least we'll get CONCACAF points, which will actually be helpful for CNL seeding. It would be nice to jump into 3rd place to avoid having to play the top qualifier in the QF and the USA in the SF. 

Actually come to think of it, anyone know how the CONCACAF index is calculated? Paging @Kent

21 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Their goal scorer today plays for Torino, although sparingly. Couple decent Ligue 1 players as well. 

Aside from Staq, will he be the most high profile player on either team?  This may not be a walkover.  @VinceA can dream about the 2013 Martinique loss all week.

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

Not going to do much in regards to seeing a good week of ticket sales leading up to game day. Guyana would have sold more. Over/Under 10K? 

@CanMNT Memes , @CanadianSoccerFan , old timers be like:

2nu37w.jpg

"Back in my day, we would be afraid of playing a team like Guadeloupe in Toronto; and we weren't sure if it would feel like a home game or if the numerous Guadeloupe away fans would drown us out...."

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Another Gold Cup with a match that doesn't earn any FIFA ranking points.

2017 Gold Cup: French Guiana
2019 Gold Cup: Martinique
2021 Gold Cup: Martinique
2023 Gold Cup: Guadeloupe

4 Gold Cups in a row. French Guiana in Nations League qualifying a few years ago. Frustrating.

1 hour ago, Neil R. said:

Another Gold Cup with a match that doesn't earn any FIFA ranking points.

2017 Gold Cup: French Guiana
2019 Gold Cup: Martinique
2021 Gold Cup: Martinique
2023 Gold Cup: Guadeloupe

4 Gold Cups in a row. French Guiana in Nations League qualifying a few years ago. Frustrating.

Something needs to be done. 
Those nations are actually good, and could be even better than what they are today.

Concacaf and FIFA need to figure out a solution, because their eligibility issues need to make sense. How can one be eligible for 1 country in Concacaf and then eligible for another to FIFA.

Can someone explain how Puerto Rico is different?