Gold Cup 2023

36 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

What about Cornelius?  Thought I heard he was projected to be back end of June and thought he might be able to sneak into team.

He might feel it is better to just stay with Malmo and keep his spot.

12 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

I am floored by Choiniere's exclusion. He is having such a good season.

I’m no insider but I’m honestly pretty certain  Montreal probably just pushed for there players to not be included, Waterman, Sirois and Choinere aren’t gonna be there who are all key starters for Montreal. Only guy there is ZBG who isn’t even a starter on Montreal and is maybe trying to impress at the GC to get a move back to France.

9 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

trying to impress at the GC to get a move back to France.

ZBG's (girlfriend? fiancé? wife?) is from the Montreal area I think and is expecting (hence his ball under the shirt celebration when he scored). I'm not sure he wants to move.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

5 hours ago, VinceA said:

Jamaica's squad is probably the strongest they've had in a very long time.

Arguably have the best XI in this Gold Cup. (Debatable between them and Mexico)
Whether they can put it all together is the big question. 

I’m hoping they have a good run (not at the expense of Canada) and build on their pieces. 

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

Arguably have the best XI in this Gold Cup. (Debatable between them and Mexico)
Whether they can put it all together is the big question. 

I’m hoping they have a good run (not at the expense of Canada) and build on their pieces. 

Very true. A good Jamaica is good for the region.

Don't get me wrong, our lineup is an interesting mix of age and youth. But I'm honestly excited to see what we have at a few positions

Let's see what Zator/McGraw/Bombito can offer. We need to find out what we have at CB because rn I'm lukewarm on both Miller and Cornelius as starters, both need to play with a stronger partner, neither look ready to be the guy. I think at this point Kennedy is a serviceable depth option but could easily be passed by any of those 3, Waterman, or Macnaughton. 

Same goes for our midfield, I'm very interested to see what Loturi or Ali can bring. Can one of them play their way into being the missing third piece with Eustaquio and Kone? 

Up front looks tough on paper, but fingers crossed for a JRR coming out party and Millar finally gets a chance to get minutes which he hasn't had the past 2-3 years.

41 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Very true. A good Jamaica is good for the region.

Exactly what I was thinking. Obviously want Canada to beat them, but another competitive country in the mix is good for everyone  especially one that tends to get players from more "prestigious" leagues in England. (Not necessarily better, but we all know the situation when it comes to English teams/media).  There's a reason they got an invite to the Copa America before.

4 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Why would Qatar be at the Gold Cup at the expense of another CONCACAF country?

I think it's part of a deal where Qatar, not having many official matches for years leading to the WC, and this following year, get into other confederation's tournaments. 

It partially replaces the lost Confederations Cup.

You could argue that Copa América including CONCACAF nations leading to 2026 is similar. Potentially we're playing their tournament. But of course in CONMEBOL everyone qualifies for Copa America, so maybe it's not comparable. 

There's no question they get into the GC because our region has a fast drop off after the first 6-8 teams, the noise of those left out is minor.