Gold Cup 2023

18 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I'd be shocked if we don't rotate all positions in the Group stage.  We should be able to win this group with rotation.

If it's Guadeloupe, Guatemala and Cuba none of those are opponents that would have been regarded as a definite win only a few years ago and quite a few of the strongest CMNT players are not going to be there. Think most of the rotation would be happening in the third game if qualification is secured in the first two.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I'm sure there are many reasons for some of the omissions but I would have liked to see:

Jebbison (dual playing for another youth team)

Koleosho (dual playing for another youth team)

Ugbo (unsure club future)

Corbeanu (full preseason with new club)

Nelson (in season)

Hiebert (surprised after being on "A" squad in March)

Choiniere (CF Montreal players seem to be staying home except for ZBG)

I'm excited with the players called in and realistically we couldn't fully switch over the team completely.  This team is still competitive enough.  I wonder if Kaye is completely off the radar at this point.  Personally, I'm more excited for Bombito and McGraw than Hiebert & Waterman.

Quite a lot to like about this squad but also some disappointing omissions. 

Pros:

• McGraw, Ahmed, Loturi likely all getting minutes, JRR too. 
  • Schaffelburg deserves it on the form he has brought lately. 

Cons:

• I would have liked to have seen Kone grow more into the team and this is the tournament for it. He is still new. Buchanan would have been handy too. 
  • Waterman and Heibert must be scratching there heads.
  • Choiniere must be pulling his hair out. 
  • I am happy to have Borjan there as a leader within the group but I hope he doesn't take away minutes from McGill/St. Clair
  • Strikers and CM look bare. I didn't expect Jebbison to join yet but Ugbo should have been there surely. 

Looking at this squad, I am guessing John Herdman goes with the more traditional 4-4-2 so the new defenders in the back can be supported.  However with the limited amount of midfielders called up, I wonder if he will go with the 4-3-3 system instead.  

I can envision starting the usual names, and once it gets base 60 minutes, then the new guys will be subbed in.  With all the time they are spending together during the Gold Cup, hopefully they spend some time developing a scheme on how to defend the set pieces.