Gold Cup 2023

Canada vs Guyana at BMO Field would be an interesting match-up. How many of the Guyanese players are Torontonians?

There's a big Guyanese population in Toronto. People born in Guyana are the second biggest group of people from the Americas at around 30,000; Jamaica is the biggest at about 40,000. But ahead of the USA, and well ahead of Mexico.

In the whole Toronto area (not including Hamilton, Burlington, Oshawa, etc.) there's 65,000. That's enough to fill BMO.

2 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Canada vs Guyana at BMO Field would be an interesting match-up. How many of the Guyanese players are Torontonians?

There's a big Guyanese population in Toronto. People born in Guyana are the second biggest group of people from the Americas at around 30,000; Jamaica is the biggest at about 40,000. But ahead of the USA, and well ahead of Mexico.

In the whole Toronto area (not including Hamilton, Burlington, Oshawa, etc.) there's 65,000. That's enough to fill BMO.

I think they have 3 Canadian born players

Emery Welshman, Jonathan Grant and Marcus Simmons. All 3 currently play in Canada 

There may be more.

23 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Possible B squad (except for Adekugbe)

F2BADCF7-A7BF-4F1F-866D-C3C5313B5DFD.thumb.jpeg.2cb47b8e66b81e4ea969533d921eee8d.jpeg

Farsi, Abzi and Arfield weren't on the provisional roster. I'd imagine Loturi gets called up, Zator too. I'd prefer Bombito over Waterman, Kerr over Akinola, and like you said Nelson over Akindele. According to Fotmob, MacNaughton is out till mid-July, so we may see McGraw. 

Edited by phresh

1 hour ago, MauditYvon said:

Possible B squad (except for Adekugbe)

F2BADCF7-A7BF-4F1F-866D-C3C5313B5DFD.thumb.jpeg.2cb47b8e66b81e4ea969533d921eee8d.jpeg

Good ideas, but with a couple of adjustments (if th goal is to discover and develop new players.

Choiniere starts ahead of Arfield.

Arfield replaced on the roster by Nelson

Adekugbe starts ahead of Edwards.

Zac McGraw is included.

Loturi replaces Kaye

Hasal is replaced by McGill

Koleosho is included replacing Akindele who retired.

Bombito replaces Waterman/MacNaughton/Heibert (choose one)

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Pretty sure St. Clair will be the starting keeper at the Gold Cup.

I'm not sure how Minnesota United would feel about that. McGill is much more available, and could do with the starts.

Is Pantemis injured? He's not been starting for Montreal. Vancouver hasn't been starting Halsall. And I assume Crepeau is still injured.

Pantemis, Halsall and McGill would be my guess at a call-up, with Pantemis or Halsall starting.

2 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I'm not sure how Minnesota United would feel about that. McGill is much more available, and could do with the starts.

Is Pantemis injured? He's not been starting for Montreal. Vancouver hasn't been starting Halsall. And I assume Crepeau is still injured.

Pantemis, Halsall and McGill would be my guess at a call-up, with Pantemis or Halsall starting.

The MLS clubs can fuck off for all I care.

They decided to play through the Gold Cup to make room for their plastic tournament with Liga MX.

Do you think Osorio should skip the Gold Cup too?

Pantemis played against Philly since coming back from injury.  Sirois has played so well it looks like Montreal might stick with him for now.  So there is a chance that Pantemis could go to GC.  There is always some horse trading going on there, let some go, keep some.  Montreal may not want to release ZBG, Choinere, Sirois and Waterman, just like TFC wont want to lose Akinola, Kerr, Oso, Lareya, Kaye..VWC well i guess they could let Rusty and Rapaso go, they arent getting many minutes anyways (hehehe).  

1 hour ago, narduch said:

The MLS clubs can fuck off for all I care.

They decided to play through the Gold Cup to make room for their plastic tournament with Liga MX.

Do you think Osorio should skip the Gold Cup too?

I didn't say anyone should skip World Cup.

I was discussing what is pragmatic and realistic - not what the fans think.

1 hour ago, Strait Red said:

Pantemis lost the starting job to Sirois.

I just noticed that Sirois is on the preliminary call-up list but not Pantemis. Well they should call Sirois up then.

Personally I'd like to see Borjan.

Edited by nfitz

14 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Where are people getting the idea that there will be little to no overlap with the Nations League team?  

And Piette on a 'C' team? You must be joking.

Scianetti put out a tweet that tajon, davies, david, larin, kone wont be at the gold cup.