The matchups are set for June 20th to decide the final 3 Gold Cup spots:

Guadeloupe vs. Guyana
Winner goes into Group D with Canada, Guatemala, Cuba

Martinique vs. Puerto Rico
Winner goes into Group C with Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador

Saint Kitts and Nevis vs. French Guiana
Winner goes into Group A with USA, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago

6 hours ago, Kent said:

I don't have any particular affinity to Curacao or Suriname, but I am a bit disappointed. My hope was that these teams start to step up towards Central American/Jamaican/Haitian type of quality. At 16 teams there is still going to be a few pushovers in the Gold Cup no matter what, but I hope gradually over time we have fewer and fewer pushovers, and the quality goes up and up. I kind of doubt this is a sign that Puerto Rico and Saint Kitts have made a step up. It would be great if the French nations could gain FIFA membership, because they are decent teams, but they aren't in World Cup Qualifying and it's annoying playing them for no ranking points in major competitions.

At the end of the day both Suriname and Curacao don't really have the population base to really compete. (St. Kitts doesn't either).

I'm actually hoping Cuba, Dominican Republic and Nicaragua can step up. They have population bases in the millions. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

At the end of the day both Suriname and Curacao don't really have the population base to really compete. (St. Kitts doesn't either).

I'm actually hoping Cuba, Dominican Republic and Nicaragua can step up. They have population bases in the millions. 

Would love to see DR become a viable option in Concacaf. Maybe play some games near the Hard Rock PC?

2 hours ago, narduch said:

They are taking it more seriously. 

They qualified for the last U20 World Cup but it hasn't really translated to their senior team yet

Here in Spain the kids from DR play, I live in neighbourhood with a large population. So they should come up with skills, the exile should contribute more to their NT.

Here, having had my kid with kids with Dominican background, I will say this, and sorry to make this observation: they often won't spend money on their kids at clubs. Or, when I used to coach, they'd come but with their boots in terrible condition. This also happens with the Pakistanis in my neighbourhood, the kids want to play, the parents won't pay for it. It is not just being low-income-the Pakistanis are even middle class--but sports is not on the list. 

The contrast being that the Dominican kids have excellent core athletic potential, which I don't see being reached. 

This is a classic subject which has, imo, its most interesting story in explaining why kids from South Asian background in England so rarely find their way into football academies and into the top pro tier. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

43 minutes ago, narduch said:

They are taking it more seriously. 

They qualified for the last U20 World Cup but it hasn't really translated to their senior team yet

With all those Canadian spring breakers and older dudes who visit the local brothel I’m surprised we haven’t heard of any dual nationals. 

1 hour ago, Ottawafan said:

Would love to see DR become a viable option in Concacaf. Maybe play some games near the Hard Rock PC?

32 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

With all those Canadian spring breakers and older dudes who visit the local brothel I’m surprised we haven’t heard of any dual nationals. 

They have the pop but their federation isn't very well run. I don't think it's really corruption or anything, more that soccer has never been big in the country as baseball is the far and away #1.

They also have a lot of great dua-nat options that don't want to commit.

Firpo and Mariano are meme players these days but would immediately improve DR, but both still think Spain is just around the corner.

8 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I get the rationale as to why, but Kone is a disappointing one.  Time for Cava to briefly take over the scoring lead hahaha.

Agreed, Kone needs the minutes with Canada to further establish himself with the squad. He needs to be in the GC group.

24 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I get the rationale as to why, but Kone is a disappointing one.  Time for Cava to briefly take over the scoring lead hahaha.

All guys with transfers ?? 👀

To be fair, even if Kone stays at Watford he's got a new coach and has never done a pre-season in England

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Maybe that move to Udinese is happening 

That is that part that some may be ignoring.  He may be moving to a mid-table team in a top 3 or 4 league this summer - in which case he will want a full preseason.  With the WC, the season with Watford, and the two NL matches (and the training in between) a short breather before preseason is fine by me.  

If it was just the GC this summer with no NL, I wouldn’t be happy about this roster strategy, but with all other factors taken into consideration I am fine with it.  My feelings may change if I have to watch the US hoist the trophy tonight but for now I get it.  

And lots of V’s are always asking for more new players to be brought into the fold and given a chance.  Well, this is what that looks like.  

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

And lots of V’s are always asking for more new players to be brought into the fold and given a chance.  Well, this is what that looks like.  

No. No No No No No.  This is unacceptable.

I want us to always play our first string starting eleven but we also have to captie every fifteen and sixteen year-old that has ever gone on a field trip to Europe.  We must play with no less than four midfielders and five forwards at all times but if we get scored on, Herdman OUT!  If the 23rd player on our roster plays less than 180 minutes, this whole thing will be a failure.