Gold Cup 2023

Pretty shit scheduling that the winner of this game gets a full 28 hours of extra rest over the Guyana/Grenada. If everything goes chalk in the first round, Martinique gets 24 hours on Suriname, and Curaçao gets 19.5 hours on French Guiana. No clue why they didn’t just rearrange the game times to keep each bracket close together.

Edit: For that matter, they should be arranging when each sub-bracket plays based on when the first group stage match is. Guadeloupe’s bracket should be last to play by virtue of Group D starting last. This is kindergarten shit.

Edited by footballfreak

19 hours ago, GasPed said:

What are you doing in Japan?  

Visiting the in-laws.

8 hours ago, frmr said:

I was in Japan recently as well, I actually put my Voyageurs sticker under a bridge near Yoyogi Park in Tokyo. One million points if you can find it.

japan-min.jpg

Pretty cool

1 hour ago, footballfreak said:

In this case, I think it serves our purposes. Canada won’t run into Martinique if they get in, so it’s a good thing for the other big teams have to play non-FIFA sides as well. 

It becomes a bad thing for the region if a non-FIFA team makes it to the knockout round. Knockout rounds are a chance for a confederation to grow the pool of points within their confederation, because the winning team gains points but the losing team doesn't lose points (usually the points gained and lost cancels out, say in a group stage or a friendly). Since most games are within your own confederation, you are essentially trying to take points off of the other teams in the confederation. So it's better for a team, say Guatemala, to get some points in a quarter final win (where their opponent isn't losing points) so that we can later take some of those points away from Guatemala (since you get more points for beating a team with 1225 points than a team with 1200).

11 hours ago, VinceA said:

Curacao doing that thing we did in the 2010s often where even though on paper we had a better team we played down to our opposition and would get shocked.

Woof what a poor way to go out for Curacao. That's now two missed GCs in a row.

St. Kitts actually won their group in WCQ 1st round (granted T&T were the pot 1 team in that group).

They were eventually eliminated in the next round by El Salvador.

They have some decent results for a nation of under 50k

Curaçao losing is huge. Or so I thought. We have been hyping up both them and Suriname on here for the last few years. If you look at their actual results what have they done lately? Curaçao won in Honduras last year (with Honduras clearly on the decline) they lost 2 games to Indonesia! Prior to that 4-0 to Bahrain and 2-1 to New Zealand and then lost at home to Honduras. In the 6-0 aggregate win we had over them had I don’t recall them having many chances. 

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Are we assuming at this point that the delayed roster announcement is just about maintaining focus on NL?  For me that makes the most sense - complete the Final game and hopefully celebrate a trophy, and then announce the GC roster in the wake of that while there is still some media attention.  

I think it's this mostly but also Herdman wants to see who is still walking around come Monday morning.  I'd bet that if he had his druthers, his GC roster would be very similar to CNL.  But with two games in three days, there might be some injuries and he wants to know exactly what he's working with.

33 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I think it's this mostly but also Herdman wants to see who is still walking around come Monday morning.  I'd bet that if he had his druthers, his GC roster would be very similar to CNL.  But with two games in three days, there might be some injuries and he wants to know exactly what he's working with.

They let you have your phone in jail?  Vegas is pretty lenient.