Gold Cup 2023

On 6/7/2023 at 4:56 PM, Kadenge said:

There are a lot of Euro based players that are going to be out of contract/moving to new teams for the 2023/24 season. If it's "core" it will probably be MLS based or players that are a part of the NL squad but not starters. Wheeler saying Sept is the time to blood new players..do we even have friendlies set up???  Use the GC to cap Loturi, Choiniere, McGill if he's highly rated, McGraw, Heibert etc. These players need competitive games to test  what they can bring to the squad going forwards.

I agree because we need to add to our core but also build towards the next generation of Canadian football

Decided to stroll onto good ol Suriname_col ahead of the GC on Twitter and my God is this person obssessed with Canada. Like weirdly so. Between having a meltdown about Forge for some reason and retweeting every Mexican that insults is it's hilarious.

I just wish all the new Canadian accounts that have popped up would stop engaging with him. He has problems.

19 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Increases the chances of us playing Guadalupe in Toronto. A country most people haven't heard of and gives us no fifa ranking points. Not great.

Well….Antigua and Barbuda did beat Guadaloupe on June 5th (1-0) and March 23rd (1-0). We can hope this trend continues and FIFA points will be available to us in Toronto.

Edited by Raven

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

Decided to stroll onto good ol Suriname_col ahead of the GC on Twitter and my God is this person obssessed with Canada. Like weirdly so. Between having a meltdown about Forge for some reason and retweeting every Mexican that insults is it's hilarious.

I just wish all the new Canadian accounts that have popped up would stop engaging with him. He has problems.

That doesn't seem to be the only Suriname account that hates Canada, either. They really were 100% certain they were going to beat us in WCQ, and when we won 4-0 it's like a switch went off in their heads. Maybe we're their Honduras.

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

The guy is a massive loser

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

Reading through Twitter comments apparently the guy never filed his 1 time switch 

I thought it was because Nicaragua gave him citizenship, a passport and let him play on the National Team after only living in the country for 1 year; the minimum for an adult to be FIFA eligible is 5 years if they have no previous connection to the country, right?

https://www.laprensani.com/2023/06/12/deportes/3159967-por-que-nicaragua-violo-el-reglamento-de-la-fifa-con-la-alineacion-de-richard-rodriguez

https://www.laprensani.com/2023/06/13/deportes/3159974-estos-fueron-los-ocho-partidos-en-los-que-nicaragua-rompio-el-reglamento-fifa-con-richard-rodriguez

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Reading through Twitter comments apparently the guy never filed his 1 time switch 

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I thought it was because Nicaragua gave him citizenship, a passport and let him play on the National Team after only living in the country for 1 year; the minimum for an adult to be FIFA eligible is 5 years if they have no previous connection to the country, right?

https://www.laprensani.com/2023/06/12/deportes/3159967-por-que-nicaragua-violo-el-reglamento-de-la-fifa-con-la-alineacion-de-richard-rodriguez

https://www.laprensani.com/2023/06/13/deportes/3159974-estos-fueron-los-ocho-partidos-en-los-que-nicaragua-rompio-el-reglamento-fifa-con-richard-rodriguez

From what I've read it's the latter. He only came to Nicaragua in 2018 but started playing for them in 2019. He only would have been eligible in FIFA's eyes this year.

4 hours ago, narduch said:

I still think there's a 50% chance Haiti or Cuba isn't allowed into the US.

Haiti seems to be relying on more overseas players for this tourney so there's probably no issue since they can use their other passports. Cuba doesn't really have issues getting into the US ofr sporting tournaments. Their only issue is the defections that usually follow. However these days they actually have a chunk of US based guys and guys playing in Central American leagues and a few in Europe.

49 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Haiti seems to be relying on more overseas players for this tourney so there's probably no issue since they can use their other passports. Cuba doesn't really have issues getting into the US ofr sporting tournaments. Their only issue is the defections that usually follow. However these days they actually have a chunk of US based guys and guys playing in Central American leagues and a few in Europe.

Even if they didn’t, didn’t Violette AC have no issues when they came to play Austin during champions league? I remember that was an “issue” and yet they got all their players over just fine.

Everyone missed the big takeaway from the Nicaragua news.

https://www.fmfstateofmind.com/2023/5/30/23739659/nicaraguas-national-team-richard-rodriguez-mexico-zendejas-case-concacaf

“Born in Toledo, Uruguay, Richard Rodriguez started his career in Rentistas, a second division club of that nation. After a short spell in another Uruguayan club, Canadian, he would go to his first foreign club in Honduras, where he played in Platense.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Soccer_Club

Canadian S.C. was founded in late 2010 by A Uruguayan living in Canada from the need of the community of Uruguayans living in Canadato have a team representing them back home. Their supporters group is known as La Banda del Norte (the Band of the North) or LBDN and their main rival is Club Atlético Torque.

The club made its official debut in the Uruguayan Segunda División Amateur on 2 October 2011 against Basañez, on a 2–1 home win. Los canadienses won the Clasura title in their second season, earning them a promotion to the Uruguayan Segunda División.[1]

Maybe I’m late to the party on this, but that’s a pretty cool bit of trivia.

Edited by footballfreak
I don’t know how go fix the wonky formatting. Sorry.